Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 11:22 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times

Advertisements

Chicago- Italian beef…Als #1 beef on Taylor St. or the local chains Portillos/ Buona Beef
Hot dogs- Gene and Judes RIVER GROVE, IL
Pizza- Giordano’s
Steak- Smith&Wollensky
Gyros- Mr Greek

Ambience …Signature Room- John Hancock 95th FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 11:38 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
This thread is making me hungry.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:41 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
To expand on the part of my post I didn't fully edit in time, for my previous post:

Let's not forget tavern style pizza, which is less talked about in the national media and in travel books, but is the preferred style of pizza for a lot of us locals. I always liked the one at Candlelite, but there are other good ones too like Barnaby's(several locations, and also even one in South Bend, IN), Pat's Pizza on Lincoln, and Vito and Nick's to name a few examples.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:54 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I don't know what sort of marketing/branding that has the word Cajun so we'll branded in our minds that it so often gets first billing in our heads when people think of New Orleans.

Where does this come from?

Anyway, I agree Brennans is a good suggestion.
I would also offer Commander's Palace, Muriel's and The Original French Market.

But I find it hard to go wrong in New Orleans where food is concerned. Even chains such as the Ruby Slipper have lots of awesome creations.
That's a good question, Cajun country itself isn't even popular outside of the state. Whats even more odd is Cajun Mardi Gras and the culture in general isn't that popular or known, but its associated with a world famous area it has no real historical connection to.

Willie Mae's is great as well.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:17 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
I don’t think I understand the question. Cajun and Creole share a state and dishes with one another. I understand at one time there was a cultural and spiritual divide on the issue. But a few decades of a fusion cuisine and migration patterns on steroids, the lines have blurred. I almost feel like these kind of questions are almost academic. If you spot a bell pepper in your Cajun jambalaya, no one is going to cuisine jail. It’s perhaps different on the ground (though I’d be surprised if New Orleans wasn’t also feeling the effects of fusion), but for the rest of us, the po boys, crawfish, and gumbo with tomatoes are found under the same New Orleans subsection of our menus.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:38 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Mexican food in Southern California. Some suggestions:

El Tepeyac Cafe, on North Evergreen Ave. Humble, family run place that’s been around for several decades. Famous for burritos. They are usually large and can easily serve two people!

El Cholo Cafe, original location on Western Ave. Several locations now open across Southern California. A more upscale, full service restaurant than El Tepeyac.

There are tons of excellent Mexican restaurants all over Southern California. It is hard to choose which one to pick. The two above are time tested local favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixjohe View Post
Recommend a good restaurant that's either native or iconic to each of these respective metro areas that serves respective cuisines/dishes

Mexican/Authentic: Los Angeles
Creole or Cajun: New Orleans
Memphis-style BBQ: Memphis
Nashville-style Hot Chicken: Nashville
Soul Food: Atlanta
Chicago-style pizza: Chicago
Philly Cheesesteak: Philadelphia
Coney Island hot dogs: Detroit
Kansas City BBQ: Kansas City

Old 01-18-2022, 10:55 AM

271 posts, read 294,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixjohe View Post
Coney Island hot dogs: Detroit
The obvious choices here are Lafayette and American Coney Island, literally right next door to one another.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:18 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Bar Pizza in Boston area.

Absolutely the best

Old 01-18-2022, 02:37 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I don't know what sort of marketing/branding that has the word Cajun so we'll branded in our minds that it so often gets first billing in our heads when people think of New Orleans.

Where does this come from?

Anyway, I agree Brennans is a good suggestion.
I would also offer Commander's Palace, Muriel's and The Original French Market.

But I find it hard to go wrong in New Orleans where food is concerned. Even chains such as the Ruby Slipper have lots of awesome creations.
Before Katrina killed it, I’d have gone with Uglisches. Paper plates and plastic forks but the food rocked. Other than that, I’ve had gumbo for lunch at all the name places. I think that’s the signature dish. For my taste, Antoine’s was #1. Commander’s Palace was at the bottom which was unexpected. Their food otherwise is representative in the couple of business dinners I’ve had there. On my dime if I’m splurging, I eat at Bayona but that’s not typical New Orleans cuisine.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Oh really? I have never had their Gumbo. I don't often order Gumbo at restaurants unless it comes with the have nevermeal as a side. I don't usually go for any of the basics ( Gumbo, Jambalaya, Red beans and rice, ettoufe, etc) as I am used to those homemade up and down the gulf coast.
I think those are bucket list items to try in New Orleans if you have never had them before. Same with coffee and Begniets. It's part of the touristy experience to sit on the patio at Cafe du Monde while listening to live music, but neither the coffee nor the begniets are anything to shout about.
I think the true gems are the fusion meals. Any old dish, infused with New Orleans flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City