Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 08:51 AM

73 posts, read 45,939 times

Advertisements

Recommend a good restaurant that's either native or iconic to each of these respective metro areas that serves respective cuisines/dishes

Mexican/Authentic: Los Angeles
Creole or Cajun: New Orleans
Memphis-style BBQ: Memphis
Nashville-style Hot Chicken: Nashville
Soul Food: Atlanta
Chicago-style pizza: Chicago
Philly Cheesesteak: Philadelphia
Coney Island hot dogs: Detroit
Kansas City BBQ: Kansas City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 08:55 AM

16,516 posts, read 26,428,198 times
Cajun food isn't found much in New Orleans. Change it to creole.
I'll say Brennan's for historical purposes.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:05 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,555,563 times
I would go to Joe's or Angelo's to get a cheesesteak

https://www.joessteaks.com/

https://angelospizzeriasouthphiladelphia.com/

Old 01-11-2022, 09:35 AM

13,785 posts, read 8,084,754 times
When I visited Philadelphia, I got a cheesesteak at Dalessandro's. I did a little research ahead of time and chose it. I thought it was excellent, and I loved the relish and pepper bar. My mouth still waters thinking about that red pepper relish!

As for Chicago, I've had deep dish from both Gino's East and Lou Malnati's, and I prefer Lou's by a mile. Don't forget Italian beef which is also iconic to Chicago. Johnnie's can't be beat as far as I'm concerned.

Mobile, Alabama is an underrated food city, and it's all about seafood on the Gulf Coast. I love taking my family to Original Oyster House for sentimental reasons; though Felix's Fish Camp is just as good. Ed's is great too, but they recently had a fire and I'm not sure how long it will be before they reopen.

Biloxi is home to the original Half Shell Oyster House, which I love.

What about Cincinnati-style chili? I can't recommend Skyline Chili enough. My wife makes her own version of Cincinnati-style chili, and I dare say it's even better than Skyline!

San Diego is known for fish tacos. I've never been there, but I love fish tacos and would love to hear where the best ones can be found.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:46 AM

744 posts, read 780,212 times
For Kansas City BBQ I like Joes Kansas City (formerly Oklahoma Joes but the name confused people). For Philly Cheesesteaks the best I have ever had is Angelos which is also known for their pizza. If you want the cheesesteak shop experience I would check out Steves Prince of Steaks in NE Philly or Johns Roast Pork in South Philly.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:52 AM

10,123 posts, read 10,034,003 times
Philly: Philly Cheese steaks or Iskabibbles
Chicago Deep Dish: Giordano's. It's better than Lou Malnati's
Baltimore: Pappas or G&M for Crab Cakes.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,848,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Cajun food isn't found much in New Orleans. Change it to creole.
I'll say Brennan's for historical purposes.
I don't know what sort of marketing/branding that has the word Cajun so we'll branded in our minds that it so often gets first billing in our heads when people think of New Orleans.

Where does this come from?

Anyway, I agree Brennans is a good suggestion.
I would also offer Commander's Palace, Muriel's and The Original French Market.

But I find it hard to go wrong in New Orleans where food is concerned. Even chains such as the Ruby Slipper have lots of awesome creations.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:27 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,639,852 times
Miami: Cuban sandwich (Little Havana; Sanguich de Miami the best) or Stone Crabs (Joe’s).

NYC: Pastrami on rye (Katz’s), Cheesecake (Junior’s or Veniero’s), Porterhouse (Peter Luger); Mutton Chop (Keens); Pizza (Lucali, Roberta’s, Paulie Gee’s); Hot Dog (Gray’s Papaya, Nathan’s); Iconic Burger (Black Label at Minetta Tavern).

Last edited by elchevere; 01-11-2022 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-11-2022, 10:32 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,426,053 times
For Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches, I really like Johnny's Beef. Which has 2 locations, one in Elmwood Park and the other in Arlington Heights. I also recommend getting an Italian ice, if you go there. Belated that I noticed another person also said that one, so I'll add Mr. Beef(near Irving Park and Harlem, they have one other location I think?) as having a pretty good Italian beef sandwich. Jay's also has a pretty decent one, and has several locations(besides near Narragansett and Montrose, and east of North and Western).

And at least to me, I always personally liked Lou Malnati's more for deep dish pizza. But to each their own.

Let's not forget tavern style pizza, which is less talked about in the national media and in travel books, but is the preferred style of pizza for a lot of us locals. I always liked

Old 01-11-2022, 10:42 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,932,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
For Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches, I really like Johnny's Beef. Which has 2 locations, one in Elmwood Park and the other in Arlington Heights. I also recommend getting an Italian ice, if you go there. Belated that I noticed another person also said that one, so I'll add Mr. Beef(near Irving Park and Harlem, they have one other location I think?) as having a pretty good Italian beef sandwich. Jay's also has a pretty decent one, and has several locations(besides near Narragansett and Montrose, and east of North and Western).

And at least to me, I always personally liked Lou Malnati's more for deep dish pizza. But to each their own.

Let's not forget tavern style pizza, which is less talked about in the national media and in travel books, but is the preferred style of pizza for a lot of us locals. I always liked
Agree. Although I don't love Deep Dish (and Chicago has some great thin crust pizza places), for Chicago Deep Dish Lou Malnati's seems to be the consensus favorite.

For Italian Beef- Al's is good. Buona Beef is good too.

For Chicago-style hotdog- Buona Beef has a really good one.

For Steaks (which Chicago is kinda known for)- Gibson's is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City