Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer as a city (metro included)
Portland OR 37 60.66%
Austin TX 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 03:46 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times

Advertisements

In my experience, Portland is excellent for bars and breweries. One might even say it's one of the best in the US.

But when it comes to late night establishments that aren't bars or strip clubs, Portland is a bit weak. If you want to go to a coffee shop after 6 pm, your options are very limited. If you want some late night drunk food, you are pretty much limited to bar food or a fast food joint. A few months ago, my significant other had a late night arrival into PDX, and after I picked them up, we were both craving something sweet like ice cream or donuts. Our options were basically Voodoo Donut or McDonalds. We just said forget it and went home.

I can't speak on Austin, bit I'd imagine with its massive college population, it would be stronger for general late night activity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 04:22 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Portland has some great bars for grabbing a cold one after work and whatnot, but personally I don't think there is any comparison for actual "I'm gonna get completely ****faced until 2 AM and make a fool of myself" nightlife. Like if you go to Portland on your bachelor party that's probably going to be a little lame.

Anyway, it's been a decade since I went there so maybe it has changed since then.
You can definitely have some pretty wild and weird nights in Portland - people definitely party in their own way. To me Portland feels like if you took East Nashville and sprawled it out across an entire city. Low key but still kind of wild. There is no Broadway/6th in Portland, thats the difference. But there are plenty of crazy themed bars, places to dance, weird strip clubs (of all types) integrated into otherwise seemingly normal bars, tons of crazy packed dive bars with drunk hipsters and townies. Top notch cocktail bars with dirty thrift store couches next to a craft beer bar with a stripper casually dancing and some weirdo in the corner playing the accordion. Thats Portland. Its a different kind of fun and as a plus booze is served until 2:30. If you want more traditional Frat/Sorority style nightlife you can go to the Pearl District or 23rd, but I think what makes it great is the areas that arent like that - Inner Southeast, St. Johns, sections of SW, Alberta, Division, Belmont, etc.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
In my experience, Portland is excellent for bars and breweries. One might even say it's one of the best in the US.

But when it comes to late night establishments that aren't bars or strip clubs, Portland is a bit weak. If you want to go to a coffee shop after 6 pm, your options are very limited. If you want some late night drunk food, you are pretty much limited to bar food or a fast food joint. A few months ago, my significant other had a late night arrival into PDX, and after I picked them up, we were both craving something sweet like ice cream or donuts. Our options were basically Voodoo Donut or McDonalds. We just said forget it and went home.

I can't speak on Austin, bit I'd imagine with its massive college population, it would be stronger for general late night activity
Its a great bar/drinking town - thats what Im saying. Aside from bars, strip clubs and diners youre right there isnt a ton open late. But there are so many bars. And to me great nightlife means great bars, so Portland excels there from my perspective.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:11 PM

422 posts, read 396,248 times
Portland started it, Austin copied it…

Old 01-16-2022, 06:57 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Its a great bar/drinking town - thats what Im saying. Aside from bars, strip clubs and diners youre right there isnt a ton open late. But there are so many bars. And to me great nightlife means great bars, so Portland excels there from my perspective.
Yeah, hard to argue against all the great bars. I also like that Portland bars are required by state law to serve food.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:18 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsaeed View Post
Portland started it, Austin copied it…
No. Austin started the slogan. Portland copied it.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:28 PM

496 posts, read 350,944 times
I loved Portland when I visited, but Austin does have a better job market which is the most important to me

Old 01-16-2022, 08:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
You can definitely have some pretty wild and weird nights in Portland - people definitely party in their own way. To me Portland feels like if you took East Nashville and sprawled it out across an entire city. Low key but still kind of wild. There is no Broadway/6th in Portland, thats the difference. But there are plenty of crazy themed bars, places to dance, weird strip clubs (of all types) integrated into otherwise seemingly normal bars, tons of crazy packed dive bars with drunk hipsters and townies. Top notch cocktail bars with dirty thrift store couches next to a craft beer bar with a stripper casually dancing and some weirdo in the corner playing the accordion. Thats Portland. Its a different kind of fun and as a plus booze is served until 2:30. If you want more traditional Frat/Sorority style nightlife you can go to the Pearl District or 23rd, but I think what makes it great is the areas that arent like that - Inner Southeast, St. Johns, sections of SW, Alberta, Division, Belmont, etc.
Have you been to Austin just out of curiosity? I get that Portland has some cool places but 6th st is 2.5 miles of bars with all sorts of different vibes and scenes. Then there is Rainey St which has 20-30 packed bars with outdoor patios and food trucks in basically 3 blocks. You Uber in to these areas and then spend the entire night hopping from bar to bar until you find the one that you are feeling on a given night (or person that you are feeling). It's just a different type of experience than going to neighborhood bars IMO.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Have you been to Austin just out of curiosity? I get that Portland has some cool places but 6th st is 2.5 miles of bars with all sorts of different vibes and scenes. Then there is Rainey St which has 20-30 packed bars with outdoor patios and food trucks in basically 3 blocks. You Uber in to these areas and then spend the entire night hopping from bar to bar until you find the one that you are feeling on a given night (or person that you are feeling). It's just a different type of experience than going to neighborhood bars IMO.
I have and I get that Austin has a different thing going on. It has a few areas very concentrated with bars - 6th East, 6th West, 2nd, Rainey, etc. Some areas like Soco I think are highly overrated but thats a different conversation.

Portland may not have anything that concentrated but it has lots of corridors where you find at least 1-2 bars on every block for miles - for example, Division, Belmont, etc. etc. (And Im talking well outside of Downtown where there are bars everywhere). Along these corridors you can walk for miles, popping into all kinds of different places. Areas like Inner Southeast are more three-dimensional and it feels like every business is a bar. A more low key party atmosphere but still fun (I cant stress the comparison with East Nashville enough. Its like someone took the 5 points area and stretched it out over an entire city).

Portland also gets points for the ridiculous creativity in the types of theme bars that are there. Its just a very creative city so youll find bars with names and themes like Psychic Bar, Bible Club, the Nerd Out, Lovecraft bar. You never know what weird place youll find around the next corner, and that keeps things interesting.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:16 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
You also forgot Domain which is another fairly large bar scene.

Austin does have bars and breweries outside of the concentrated district but they exist in miniature clusters, many isolated and in spots you won’t think to look for them.

Just wondering how late does Portland stay active? Central Austin Friday and Saturday nights would have you hard pressed to believe that it is not noon at 2am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City