Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer as a city (metro included)
Portland OR 37 60.66%
Austin TX 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 10:29 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
You also forgot Domain which is another fairly large bar scene.

Austin does have bars and breweries outside of the concentrated district but they exist in miniature clusters, many isolated and in spots you won’t think to look for them.

Just wondering how late does Portland stay active? Central Austin Friday and Saturday nights would have you hard pressed to believe that it is not noon at 2am.
Portland bars are pretty spread out. Outside of a cluster in Chinatown, most are pretty spaced apart. If you don't know where to go it might seem like the city is dead. Chinatown, Southeast, Mississippi Street, The Pearl, and Northwest are going to be the most active areas of the city. Good bars and breweries can be found in every neighborhood though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 01:34 AM

365 posts, read 229,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
You also forgot Domain which is another fairly large bar scene.

Austin does have bars and breweries outside of the concentrated district but they exist in miniature clusters, many isolated and in spots you won’t think to look for them.

Just wondering how late does Portland stay active? Central Austin Friday and Saturday nights would have you hard pressed to believe that it is not noon at 2am.
I know Portland pretty well.

Bars stop serving at 2:30 so people start pouring out of the bars at that time and there's definitely activity on the streets - drunk people out and about going to food trucks and smoking cigarettes and weed on the street for a hour or so. There are several 24/7 diners that people flock to. You won't find anything like the madness of 6th St, because as people have said the bars are less concentrated and more evenly dispersed across the city. Although there are a bunch of clusters as well. But yeah, Portland can go late. And every bar serves food until close (by law) so you have lots of great food options at 2am.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:38 AM

365 posts, read 229,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Portland bars are pretty spread out. Outside of a cluster in Chinatown, most are pretty spaced apart. If you don't know where to go it might seem like the city is dead. Chinatown, Southeast, Mississippi Street, The Pearl, and Northwest are going to be the most active areas of the city. Good bars and breweries can be found in every neighborhood though.
Spaced out but still highly walkable. Portland is an excellent city to walk and drink in because if you leave a bar you're likely to find another one very soon, no matter where you are.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:43 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Portland has a pretty setting but Austin feels like it’s trending in the right direction more so than Portland.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:33 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Portland has a pretty setting but Austin feels like it’s trending in the right direction more so than Portland.
I feel like Portland is doing a much better job with its infrastructure keeping up with growth than Austin is, so I view that as Portland overall trending more in the right direction. Portland's also better connected with the majority of its state's population than Austin seems to be, but of course, Texas is much better. However, Austin doesn't even have decent rail connection to any of its closest big cities.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:53 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I feel like Portland is doing a much better job with its infrastructure keeping up with growth than Austin is, so I view that as Portland overall trending more in the right direction. Portland's also better connected with the majority of its state's population than Austin seems to be, but of course, Texas is much better. However, Austin doesn't even have decent rail connection to any of its closest big cities.
My concern is Portland’s economy is pretty meh. It also has been in the news for some not so great reasons lately. I like Portland as a city but part of me feels liked it’s already peaked, where as Austin has yet to peak.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:22 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
There are several 24/7 diners that people flock to.
Where? (genuinely) I'm always looking for late-night options when I'm in Portland.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:54 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Where? (genuinely) I'm always looking for late-night options when I'm in Portland.
To be fair this is among my pet peeves in Austin too. There is nothing to eat but whataburger after 10pm unless you want to down nothing but beer.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:24 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Neither of those cities are "weird". They're nothing unique that you cant find elsewhere across every state. Seriously.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:32 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Neither of those cities are "weird". They're nothing unique that you cant find elsewhere across every state. Seriously.
I can definitely think of things Portland has that you can't find in many other places. The whole "Keep Portland Weird" cliche can be kind of annoying, but it also didn't come from nowhere. I'm sure the same is true of Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City