Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer as a city (metro included)
Portland OR 37 60.66%
Austin TX 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 05:48 PM

571 posts, read 1,178,335 times

Advertisements

Two cities known for residents boasting bumper stickers reading 'Keep Portland Weird' and 'Keep Austin Weird' - which would you prefer to take a trip to or live in?

Rank them based on criteria important to you. Which has a vibe you like? Location? Weather will be a big one I'm sure. Portland has been hit hard with lockdowns and protests - I'm not sure how much Austin was affected. One seems to be growing moderately, the other by leaps and bounds. Have they both lost any sort of weird vibe in 2022? Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 06:21 PM

11,913 posts, read 8,146,142 times
I haven't spent anywhere near enough time in Portland to accurately judge it. From heresy, itself and Austin are pretty similar in both vibe and size.. ..with Austin seemingly being more catered into tech. Portland however has much better scenery. Living in Austin area, I personally would not benefit to visit Portland just for the vibe alone.. ..but for the scenery, thats a whole different matter.

Here's what I feel about it.

Vibe: Tie

Affordability: Slight edge to Austin, home prices seem similar but Austin has cheaper fuel and groceries overall.

Job market: Austin

Scenery and Outdoorsy: Portland - although some parts of Austin are Scenic and Outdoorsy, it can't hold a candle to the PNW.

Nightlife: Austin

Universities: Austin

Density: Portland

Transit: Portland

I would say they are fairly close. Austin seems to hit harder on the bread and butter day to day metrics besides transit, but Portland sits in a more desirable region of the country and is a more 'romantic' city to live in.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:36 PM

2,263 posts, read 1,436,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I haven't spent anywhere near enough time in Portland to accurately judge it. From heresy, itself and Austin are pretty similar in both vibe and size.. ..with Austin seemingly being more catered into tech. Portland however has much better scenery. Living in Austin area, I personally would not benefit to visit Portland just for the vibe alone.. ..but for the scenery, thats a whole different matter.

Affordability: Slight edge to Austin, home prices seem similar but Austin has cheaper fuel and groceries overall.

Scenery and Outdoorsy: Portland - although some parts of Austin are Scenic and Outdoorsy, it can't hold a candle to the PNW.

I would say they are fairly close. Austin seems to hit harder on the bread and butter day to day metrics besides transit, but Portland sits in a more desirable region of the country and is a more 'romantic' city to live in.
Hard to argue with this take.

Last time I was in Portland was about ten years ago, and back then the vibe between Austin and Portland was extremely similar. Since then Austin has changed a lot; it's still very hip and trendy but it has a notably different crowd. (More young professionals with six figure salaries out of school, less people waiting tables and playing in a band.) Of course I'm also older so that's probably part of it.

I imagine that Portland has faced similar changes but I don't know if it's to the same extent.

But otherwise I agree with Camaro's take. Austin wins easily for economy, and in my opinion, climate. Portland has better scenery and a notably more urban layout with way better transit. I don't love either location, really. Portland has some better day trips but is very isolated from the rest of the country by air. On the other hand Austin's location in Texas is a bit bland but it's very easy to fly to either coast.

Last edited by whereiend; 01-15-2022 at 06:45 PM..

Old 01-15-2022, 06:58 PM

3,634 posts, read 2,393,427 times
Quote:

Hammer on the nail

Old 01-15-2022, 07:38 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,474,608 times
Agree with everything posted. Portland is very elevated by the environment it sits on. The same can be said for Seattle and Vancouver. During the summer you can take a trip to the coast in the morning, spend the afternoon at a winery in the Willamette Valley, and jam out at a festival in the evening. During the winters, you can hit the slopes on hood in the morning, hangout at a nice brewery in the afternoon.

Austin feels like a younger city because of UT, but the vibes aren't that different. Portland does New American, while Austin does BBQ. Portland floats the Sandy River, while Austin floats to San Marcos. Portland cheers hard for Oregon football, Austin cheers hard for UT. Portland is an apparel hub, while Austin is a tech hub.

To me, the natural environment and built urban environment to a lesser extent would give Portland the win. Although, both cities are great in their own regard.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:45 PM

1,324 posts, read 883,243 times
I'll be a biased homer and vote for Portland. I love the scenery, cool weather, and dizzying array of things to do in the PNW. I also enjoy the uniqueness and vibe of Portland. It's inner core is surprisingly very compact and walkable.

That said, Austin does seem like a very nice city. If it weren't for the super hot summers (I don't do well with heat and humidity) I would probably consider living there. The live music scene is great and the food seems excellent. One area where it really beats out Portland is nightlife. Probably my biggest gripe with Portland is how early it shuts down.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM

23,698 posts, read 24,260,266 times
Portland, for me, the climate is preferable.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:00 PM

141 posts, read 92,753 times
Quote:

What does that mean? Portland is better for restaurants (it's not even close), better for shopping, better for walkability and vibrancy. Better in terms of being a funkier, more interesting place.

Where Austin clearly wins is economy/job market and higher education. But that's not "bread and butter".

Portland may not have anything as concentrated as 6th street, but it's actually an awesome nightlife town in its own right. Overall, the density of bars, pubs, breweries, etc. in Portland blows Austin out of the water, and the nightlife is much more evenly distributed. You can't throw a rock without hitting a bar. Meanwhile, in Austin you can go for miles without finding anything nightlife-oriented. Also, for those who are into it, Portland has the most strip clubs per capita of any American city. And slot machines are legal. Both places offer a good nightlife.

My main issue with Portland is the crappy economy, the weird mix of hipsters and rednecks (Austin is less two-dimensional in this regard) and the fact that it gives off kind of a lazy vibe. Austin has more go-getters. if that makes sense, and like I said a much more diverse economy with better paying jobs and a more educated population.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:05 PM

8,613 posts, read 14,967,449 times
Not a big fan of either, but Portland over Austin. Much better climate and scenery.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:20 PM

11,913 posts, read 8,146,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
What does that mean? Portland is better for restaurants (it's not even close), better for shopping, better for walkability and vibrancy. Better in terms of being a funkier, more interesting place.

Where Austin clearly wins is economy/job market and higher education. But that's not "bread and butter".

Portland may not have anything as concentrated as 6th street, but it's actually an awesome nightlife town in its own right. Overall, the density of bars, pubs, breweries, etc. in Portland blows Austin out of the water, and the nightlife is much more evenly distributed. You can't throw a rock without hitting a bar. Meanwhile, in Austin you can go for miles without finding anything nightlife-oriented. Also, for those who are into it, Portland has the most strip clubs per capita of any American city. And slot machines are legal. Both places offer a good nightlife.

My main issue with Portland is the crappy economy, the weird mix of hipsters and rednecks (Austin is less two-dimensional in this regard) and the fact that it gives off kind of a lazy vibe. Austin has more go-getters. if that makes sense, and like I said a much more diverse economy with better paying jobs and a more educated population.
Economy / Job Market / Education are your generic drivers for growth. Without those it doesn't matter how quirky, unique, different your city is, it will have limiting factors to the population or growth it can sustain. Austin plainly has a stronger foundation in this arena. Day to day living in Austin is more affordable and more profitable for the average inhabitant.

On paper, Austin has higher wages on average, less tax, more affordable groceries, and lower cost of fuel. These are the necessities that keep your people alive, very much bread and butter metrics.

The preferences you listed may (or may not) outclass Austin's. I can't judge the shopping of Portland. Austin is either upscale chains, weird quirky stores, or no shopping in terms of fashion and apparel. In terms of food, Austin has alot of chains, but it also has great food trucks, Indian, Korean, Japanese also have a fair presence in Austin.. ..and....well.. brisket.. ..I'm not going to say yay or nay to Austin outclassing Portland in food as I don't know a great deal about Portlands food scene but I personally think Austin's food scene is pretty good.

Austin does have breweries and pubs scattered throughout its metro as well. Portland probably outclasses Austin here, but you don't have to be in downtown to have good nightlife in Austin, although Downtown is by far the most heavily concentrated scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City