Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2023, 09:50 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
EWR is served by NJ Transit and Amtrak into Manhattan. Yes, there is the monorail from the terminals, but that is 5 extra minutes, and easy to navigate.
Its serves the Newark Airtrain station ** Sorry im a transportation planner in the area and thats a little nit pick i have. Lol.

I love NJ and EWR airport but it still is an absolute hastle to get to over other cities like Philly, DC, Boston, Chicago and Cleveland. But if you come from like Omaha or Grand Rapids, yeah big improvement

Still no direct airport access in all 3 NYC Airports since the Feds don’t, for whatever reason, finance direct airport to metro/rail connections. I even think federal funding isn’t subsidizing any rapid transit including BRT, like Boston’s Silver Line to BOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 02:03 PM

253 posts, read 122,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its serves the Newark Airtrain station ** Sorry im a transportation planner in the area and thats a little nit pick i have. Lol.

I love NJ and EWR airport but it still is an absolute hastle to get to over other cities like Philly, DC, Boston, Chicago and Cleveland.
Agreed. I previously worked 7 years for JPMC in Chicago. My management was in New York and I made at least 25 work trips to NY during that time. It WAS disappointing that I didn't have an easy way to get into Manhattan from LGA (if I flew AA) or EWR (if I flew United). I recall one time taking a wild taxi ride from LGA to the financial district - so wild, that my susceptibility to motion sickness almost got the best of me. I had to check into my hotel first, rather than head straight to the office, as I had sweat through my dress shirt and t-shirt.

Old 10-15-2023, 11:55 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Billionaire's Row in New York is ugly as hell? I mean those buildings would look good...in Dubai, but New York is more regal and classic than the modern Dubai style: grandiose, tacky, and empty. Also, the idea of Chicago not matching NY metrics is a sign of its failure is an unfair comparison. Chicago is largely a revived Rust-Belt city that lived deeply through the pain of deindustrialization and has continued to survive to maintain world-class institutions, a place of global finance and trade, and one of the highest GDPs in the world economy. Far from a perfect recovery, but give the city a little credit.

Point taken though because Chicago could be more daring architecturally with new projects, especially considering that many of the world's tallest buildings were built by Chicago-based firms. We have the in-house talent to build more beautiful buildings. No question.
Are you talking about those 'supertall' buildings in Manhattan? If so, yes I never cared for the design of such buildings either. They are very ugly buildings where if they were demolished, I wouldn't miss any of them one bit.

Also at least to me, Chicago and NYC are 2 different sizes of cities, where it isn't totally fair to compare Chicago to NYC. But to each their own, I guess. Maybe I'd more compare NYC to say, like London, UK?

Old 10-16-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Agreed. I previously worked 7 years for JPMC in Chicago. My management was in New York and I made at least 25 work trips to NY during that time. It WAS disappointing that I didn't have an easy way to get into Manhattan from LGA (if I flew AA) or EWR (if I flew United). I recall one time taking a wild taxi ride from LGA to the financial district - so wild, that my susceptibility to motion sickness almost got the best of me. I had to check into my hotel first, rather than head straight to the office, as I had sweat through my dress shirt and t-shirt.
Its quite annoying and I hear this all the time from people.

However, let me play devil’s advocate for a second. While I think AirTrain is pathetic, between the extra transfer and crazy high fare, NYC does have some good options via BRT.

We always hear Boston kills the game on BRT to airport service, however, LGA has the Q70 SBS and M60 SBS. You can take the BRT from LGA Airport to Corona, Jackson Heights, Astoria, East Harlem, Harlem, and the Upper West Side for free. Thats pretty dope. Thats a direct, free transfer to those neighborhoods or to the 7, E, F, M, R, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, A, B, C, D, N and W trains. You can go almost everywhere in the city vie 0 or 1 transfer lol.

I think bus services get overlooked alot, but if you were flying into NYC, I would say LGA would be it. Right now atleast.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:20 AM

84 posts, read 45,247 times
Quote:
however, LGA has the Q70 SBS and M60 SBS.
This used to be a huge lifehack. One of the best-kept secrets in NY.

Old 10-16-2023, 02:50 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
Quote:
Still no direct airport access in all 3 NYC Airports since the Feds don’t, for whatever reason, finance direct airport to metro/rail connections. I even think federal funding isn’t subsidizing any rapid transit including BRT, like Boston’s Silver Line to BOS.
This recently changed!
https://secondavenuesagas.com/2021/0...could-benefit/
Now airport taxes ("PFCs") can be used to help pay for off-airport transit that helps non-airport passengers.

Old 10-16-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
This recently changed!
https://secondavenuesagas.com/2021/0...could-benefit/
Now airport taxes ("PFCs") can be used to help pay for off-airport transit that helps non-airport passengers.
Woo!!!

Old 10-16-2023, 03:44 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Its quite annoying and I hear this all the time from people.

However, let me play devil’s advocate for a second. While I think AirTrain is pathetic, between the extra transfer and crazy high fare, NYC does have some good options via BRT.

We always hear Boston kills the game on BRT to airport service, however, LGA has the Q70 SBS and M60 SBS. You can take the BRT from LGA Airport to Corona, Jackson Heights, Astoria, East Harlem, Harlem, and the Upper West Side for free. Thats pretty dope. Thats a direct, free transfer to those neighborhoods or to the 7, E, F, M, R, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, A, B, C, D, N and W trains. You can go almost everywhere in the city vie 0 or 1 transfer lol.

I think bus services get overlooked alot, but if you were flying into NYC, I would say LGA would be it. Right now atleast.
Isn’t the general reception of the Silver line “wow they really half assed this thing (outside ~.75 mile from South Station to the mass pike)

Old 10-16-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Isn’t the general reception of the Silver line “wow they really half assed this thing (outside ~.75 mile from South Station to the mass pike)
I feel like Bostonians criticize their system more than outsiders do. Which is typical everywhere. Im super critical on NJ Transit but i know its better than most places.

But in reality, The Silver Line is pretty efficient for getting people to and from South Station. Its like the SBS in LGA

Old 10-16-2023, 06:14 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,208,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Also, these "pencil towers" on 57th will most likely be joined by many more future supertalls near them. This will create a more aesthetically pleasing "supertall skyline" (in my opinion) with a cluster of 15-20 or so, is my guess.
I guess it's a matter of taste, but I disagree that more of those hideous buildings will improve the NYC skyline. They are boring and ugly, which is kind of an accomplishment in its own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City