Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 04:22 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
I love both for different reasons. I'd say NYC likely gets more praise than it deserves. Chicago likely gets more crap than it deserves. Most of it perpetuated by big media, since those narratives seem to sell.

Both are beautiful in their own right, similarities and differences. The most spectacular and elegant cityscapes in America. Great culture, architecture, neighborhoods, museums, food, people from all over the world living in both.

Similarities:
Old and robust transit systems, places where you can live car-free
Dense and walkable neighborhoods
Skyscrapers/notable skylines
Great food cities (NYC more of everything, Chicago better hit-to-miss ratio)
Diverse cities with people from all over the globe (NYC moreso, but Chicago is plenty global in this sense as well)
Finance hubs of the US
Both top film hub cities in the US
Both have nice waterfront getaways 1-2 hrs out of the city
Rich musical heritage--Jazz, blues, etc. in both

Differences:
Chicago much colder in winter
Chicago more segregated
Chicago much more affordable and livable/relaxed
Chicago feels a bit less safe overall, NYC is almost city-wide the end-game of gentrification
NYC hub of fashion and Chicago doesn't match that
NYC adored globally, Chicago can't match that
Old world vs. newer infrastructure: Alleys--Chicago has them, NYC doesn't
Waterfront meets city---Lake Michigan gives Chicago an almost coastal feel especially in summer when it's most active, wide open blue water..actually much bluer than most US east coast beaches. Very different feel from East River or the Hudson
This pretty much sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 08:16 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Similarities:

Density
Skyscraper architecture
Public transportation success
Urban living and amenities
Big cities with many options

Differences:

NYC is 3 times larger, just in the the city limits. Brooklyn has almost exactly the population of the entire city of Chicago
NYC is much more global of a city, and more cosmopolitan in general
NYC offers just so much more - of everything
NYC has a milder winter season than Chicago
NYC is the financial center, the fashion center, and the performing arts center of the world
Chicago is much more middle American feeling, than NYC
NYC Bar/restaurant scene offers almost anything anyone could want
Although I appreciate your opinion, you made it sound like NYC is utopia when it is not lol

I personally cannot stand Manhattan. Some things Chicago absolutely blows NYC out on are:
-People. Friendly, down to earth and real world. Manhattan and Brooklyn are full of midwest/southern transplants that make the city their personality. Cringey. Lots of the good old places are now gone. People are so much more down to earth in Chicago
-Chicago KILLS it on the dating scene. People have more time, friendlier, etc. just iverall a better dating scene.
-Cleaner/more attractive. Chicago is a cleaner, aesthetically pleasing city. New York has great architecture.. but not on Chicagos level.
-The CTA is better IMHO. New York has better extensively. But functionality and OTP? CHicago. Also, the rail is in much better condition. The trains i take in Manhattan are always late, old and just not reliable

Old 01-27-2022, 08:31 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Although I appreciate your opinion, you made it sound like NYC is utopia when it is not lol

I personally cannot stand Manhattan. Some things Chicago absolutely blows NYC out on are:
-People. Friendly, down to earth and real world. Manhattan and Brooklyn are full of midwest/southern transplants that make the city their personality. Cringey. Lots of the good old places are now gone. People are so much more down to earth in Chicago
-Chicago KILLS it on the dating scene. People have more time, friendlier, etc. just iverall a better dating scene.
-Cleaner/more attractive. Chicago is a cleaner, aesthetically pleasing city. New York has great architecture.. but not on Chicagos level.
-The CTA is better IMHO. New York has better extensively. But functionality and OTP? CHicago. Also, the rail is in much better condition. The trains i take in Manhattan are always late, old and just not reliable
NYC sure ain't utopia--at all. But it's got a ton going for it that makes it incredible.

With your first point, that is super subjective. Between Manhattan and Brooklyn, there are 4.4 million people. That's placing them all in a "cringey" bucket? Come on now...lol

Second point, I'll give you that. Chicago is much more midwestern vibing, middle America vibing, and "folksy" and for dating people can come across at first friendlier--on many levels. Much better for dating impression and "pool" at first, for sure.

Third point, overall, the alleys are a nice aesthetic for Chicago. But remember, Chicago is a lot smaller than New York, so it should be cleaner, and it should be nicer. Boston will be nicer and cleaner than LA, too, overall due to it being small, ya know? just sayin'

New York has one of the busiest and largest subway systems in the world, so Chicago's is a lot quieter and more up to date. So yes, agreed, with condition, Chicago wins here

I like Chicago a lot--but to visit alone. I couldn't deal with the winter season, personally.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:03 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
NYC sure ain't utopia--at all. But it's got a ton going for it that makes it incredible.

With your first point, that is super subjective. Between Manhattan and Brooklyn, there are 4.4 million people. That's placing them all in a "cringey" bucket? Come on now...lol

Second point, I'll give you that. Chicago is much more midwestern vibing, middle America vibing, and "folksy" and for dating people can come across at first friendlier--on many levels. Much better for dating impression and "pool" at first, for sure.

Third point, overall, the alleys are a nice aesthetic for Chicago. But remember, Chicago is a lot smaller than New York, so it should be cleaner, and it should be nicer. Boston will be nicer and cleaner than LA, too, overall due to it being small, ya know? just sayin'

New York has one of the busiest and largest subway systems in the world, so Chicago's is a lot quieter and more up to date. So yes, agreed, with condition, Chicago wins here

I like Chicago a lot--but to visit alone. I couldn't deal with the winter season, personally.
All the Nor'easterns you get on the east coast and you can't deal with the winter season in Chicago? I guess you are just about to dodge one that is going to slam Boston, 12 plus inches. Chicago has gotten maybe 6 or 7 for the whole season thus far.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:58 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,435 times
I don't get the Midwest people are uniquely friendly trope. In a city of 2.8 million people and another of 9 million, you're going to find such a variety of people who are friendly, unfriendly, and everything in between that how can there truly be a proper comparison?

Old 01-27-2022, 11:22 AM

403 posts, read 929,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I don't get the Midwest people are uniquely friendly trope. In a city of 2.8 million people and another of 9 million, you're going to find such a variety of people who are friendly, unfriendly, and everything in between that how can there truly be a proper comparison?
Exactly, I find that to be incredibly reductive and dated thinking when looking at modern times. A metro area of 10M people, and they're all just 'friendly folksy' people? lol. Because it sits in a certain region of the US?? Two things can be true at the same time. I've found Chicagoans to be worldly, urban, yet down to earth people overall. There is nothing basic about them, they just don't need to take on a city as their entire identity. There are a**holes and cool people everywhere. Also, the Midwest is rapidly changing over the past decade (for the better I'd argue).

Also--as has been said...NYC is becoming more 'midwestern' than the Midwest itself these days. Brooklyn is basically urban scale Ann Arbor or Madison now, as is Manhattan and Queens is next--which saddens me. My wife's uncle lives in Astoria, and visiting there is always enjoyable. The internet, globalization, etc., has changed the game for all cities (and Covid is probably exacerbating this too). The playing field for cities has leveled a ton over the last 10-20 years. Many places are relatively more the same to a large degree wherever you go in 2022. Add to that--smaller cities also are more up on trends, and many times are the actual taste makers now. Creativity follows cheaper rents, not places young people can't afford. You're as likely to see interesting things coming out of Memphis, New Orleans or Detroit as you are the megacities these days.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:51 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Comparing the two is pretty apples and oranges, IMO.

Chicago is much more manageable, much smaller, 1/3 of the population. It's cleaner, tighter.

NYC is a different animal.

Surprised people don't say London is the financial center of the world.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:56 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Winters here in NYC are pretty sporadic in terms of cold and snow in general, and with climate change happening, winters have been up and down overall the past decade or so...

Movies and television have sensationalized NYC's winter weather, and most folks who don't live here tend to think NYC gets tons of snowfall and is below freezing for 3 months. It's not even close to that really.

Also, snowfall in New York averages something like 25 inches annually, whereas Chicago is about 37 or so inches annually.

Average high in January for Chicago is 33 degrees, with a low of 19.

Average high in January for NYC is 40 degrees, with a low of 28.

So overall, New York is milder temp-wise, and does not have the lake effect winds like Chicago.

Granted there are some nasty cold oceanic winds that blow through, with New York being in the north Atlantic, but winters are not as cold overall, as Chicago's.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:19 PM

212 posts, read 230,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Comparing the two is pretty apples and oranges, IMO.

Chicago is much more manageable, much smaller, 1/3 of the population. It's cleaner, tighter.

NYC is a different animal.

Surprised people don't say London is the financial center of the world.

Let’s all start calling Chicago the Big Orange

Old 01-27-2022, 01:42 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
DannFrankenstein, HA HA HA!

Good one! That was clever!!!

We need some more humor, these days!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City