Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 07:45 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times

Advertisements

The more research I do on the DMV, the more I see it as one of the healthier MSAs in the country. I don't know how Amazon will change things. Wages to cost of housing isn't too bad. Poverty rates are low. Tons of stuff to do. Educated population. Excellent health care. Good transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 08:06 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The more research I do on the DMV, the more I see it as one of the healthier MSAs in the country. I don't know how Amazon will change things. Wages to cost of housing isn't too bad. Poverty rates are low. Tons of stuff to do. Educated population. Excellent health care. Good transit.
Easy to do when everyone in the country gives you a quarter of their income.

This is not a criticism if the US Government paid its administrators at a level not comparable to similar levels in the Private sector that would be bad because nobody with any ability would work in Government. But it’s a massive advantage.

But somehow despite immense weath the DC metro is quitter crime ridden.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:54 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

This is not a criticism if the US Government paid its administrators at a level not comparable to similar levels in the Private sector that would be bad because nobody with any ability would work in Government. But it’s a massive advantage.

But somehow despite immense weath the DC metro is quitter crime ridden.
Yeah, I thought it was common knowledge that DC has long been the leading metro in the country for wealth, educational attainment and health outcomes. It really shouldn't come as any surprise.

But you're correct that it has much more violent crime than would be expected for such good metrics in other ways.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:57 AM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Yep, Miami has alot of problems but like most tourist oriented economies, they try their best to pretend that problem isn’t there.
Haha. New Orleans is a tourist oriented economy but they suck at hiding theirs lol

Old 01-23-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
A quarter of our income? How is that? I am a pretty good business man and have been for quite a while. Something is way off!

Old 01-23-2022, 11:16 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
A quarter of our income? How is that? I am a pretty good business man and have been for quite a while. Something is way off!
Tax-to-GDP ratio is around 25% I believe, though that’s not all federal taxes.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
On $50,000 you pay ~14% on Income Tax. Plus 12.4% on Payroll+SSI tax.

Overall GDP the US Federal Government collects about ~20% of GDP in taxes, and states about 5%.

Of course there are tax credits and stuff but generally the Feds would take ~25% of a full time workers income. Then gives some back via tax credits/deductions like mortgage interest deduction, child deductions, SALT deductions, green energy credits etc.

Plus Capital Gains is lower because apparently that’s not income

Old 01-23-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Tax-to-GDP ratio is around 25% I believe, though that’s not all federal taxes.
I've got it.

Old 01-23-2022, 03:19 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
I would think the metros with the higher poverty rates would also be the most affordable, since poor people (outside of the homeless, residential hotels and project-dwellers) barely exist in the most gentrified cities.

Old 01-23-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I would think the metros with the higher poverty rates would also be the most affordable, since poor people (outside of the homeless, residential hotels and project-dwellers) barely exist in the most gentrified cities.
27% of Bostonians live in public or public ally subsidized housing

So that’s not true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City