Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2022, 03:56 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
People in the top ~10% have much nicer homes in LA, Atlanta, Dallas or Chicago.

(Almost) Nobody lives Downtown.

Now if “glamour” is the top 0.5% or something then yeah there is no real gap.

Based on the stats they use, (200,000+ Households being one) seems more the former not the latter

I’m confused why a list that puts Boston at 8 is reasonable but saying perhaps it’s like 10 because Vegas or Atlanta has nicer housing is a stupid crazy statement
for starters most of that is bland cookie cutter tract housing. Atlanta is a city where I disagreed with putting it below Boston and I rank above Boston anyway, in my earlier post. I also ranked Vegas and Chicago above Boston. Do we actually know what the top 10% live in in Boston. I don’t actually assume it’s worse than any of those cities. Top 10% in Boston is VERY. wealthy. That’s very subjective. As to what’s better or what the appropriate percentage share of the population to lol at for glamour.

The only city I’d argue with their is Dallas and That would still out Boston at #9 not outside the top 10 and as is Dallas is ranked below Boston. Personally, I agree with it.

The funny part is just you mentioning Somerville triple deckers to measure glamour ur in Boston…. might as well mention Hoboken 6 story walk ups. So random and honestly why would you skip over the luxurious stately stone walled single family homes in north Brookline and parts of Cambridge other than to prove a point. .

Add to this there is no official downtown boston but rather a collection of residential neighborhoods (Beacon Hill Back Bay, Chinatown, North End). Boston lacks a CBD and that’s good for residential density compared to -Dallas. Add to this almost nobody but extremely rich people live in these areas ESPECIALLY “downtown” “downtown crossing.

Not that all the homes I showed were even in downtown to begin with…

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-23-2022 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 04:01 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
for starters most of that is bland cookie cutter tract housing. Atlanta is a city where I disagreed with putting it below Boston and I rank above Boston anyway, in my earlier post. I also ranked Vegas and Chicago above Boston. Do we actually know what the top 10% live in in Boston. I don’t actually assume it’s worse than any of those cities. Top 10% in Boston is VERY. wealthy. That’s very subjective. As to what’s better or what the appropriate percentage share of the population to lol at for glamour.

The only city I’d argue with their is Dallas and That would still out Boston at #9 not outside the top 10 and as is Dallas is ranked below Boston. Personally, I agree with it.
So on their list Boston is 8.

You put Vegas and Atlanta above Boston. That puts Boston at 10. That seems like a rather minor difference of opinion.

So we disagree about whether Dallas pushes Boston out of the Top 10. Not grasping at straws trying to justify Cincinnati being glamorous

Unless you think like Seattle doesn’t belong way up there.

Old 02-23-2022, 04:13 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
So on their list Boston is 8.

You put Vegas and Atlanta above Boston. That puts Boston at 10. That seems like a rather minor difference of opinion.

So we disagree about whether Dallas pushes Boston out of the Top 10. Not grasping at straws trying to justify Cincinnati being glamorous

Unless you think like Seattle doesn’t belong way up there.
Seattle has zero glamour I explained why but I was told it’s trolling to list why I think that so I won’t.

But Seattle shouldn’t be anywhere in the top 15. I don’t even consider them. Honestly overlooked that.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:53 PM

71 posts, read 45,512 times
Seattle isn't glamorous at all. Tech Nerd capital. Super dreary weather and gray. Same with SF too but to a lesser degree.

And who called Deep Ellum "glamorous" lmaoo I was on google maps streetview looking thru it and that whole neighborhood looks like a wasteland. Apparently that's Dallas most urban neighborhood? smh.

NYC
LA
Miami
Vegas
Chicago

Last edited by bearsmiths; 02-23-2022 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-23-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah, Humble. THe ultra rich / ultra name brand wearers in Boston aren't in your face like they are in NYC, Miami and LA are, where people will go broke to impress you with a name brand. Boston is nuch like DC in that regard. I can see Seattle even going that route as it builds VC and wealth.

No idea where SF stands.
The entire purpose of the “New England Preppy” is for only other rich people to know you’re wearing expensive stuff. Kind of the opposite of Glamorous which by definition is flashy.

Vineyard Vines may be luxury but it’s not glamorous

Old 02-23-2022, 07:31 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
In terms of “glamorous” cities, it is really just the following thb:

NYC
LA
Miami

Others can make a case, but these 3 are the most obvious.

*the only other one I can think of from an African American perspective may be Atlanta, but an African American could probably confirm this.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:10 PM

14,165 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Add to this there is no official downtown boston but rather a collection of residential neighborhoods (Beacon Hill Back Bay, Chinatown, North End). Boston lacks a CBD and that’s good for residential density compared to -Dallas. Add to this almost nobody but extremely rich people live in these areas ESPECIALLY “downtown” “downtown crossing.

Not that all the homes I showed were even in downtown to begin with…
Could've fooled me when I lived there, then, and I'm sure this will come as a surprise to the folks at the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District, too.

The territory bounded roughly by Government Center and State Street on the north, Tremont Street on the west, Essex Street on the south and the buried Central Artery on the east sure looks to me like a "downtown". Downtown Crossing may have lost all its department stores, but it's still a recognizably commercial crossroads along the lines of State and Madison streets in Chicago or Herald Square in New York.

And just to the northeast of this is Post Office Square, which last I looked was still ringed with office buildings. And it looks to me like it still is. If this isn't a "downtown," and a big-city one too, then the word "downtown" has no meaning.

And that general area is definitely a central business district, too. What else would you call it? It's certainly not Beacon Hill, or the North End, or Chinatown.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Could've fooled me when I lived there, then, and I'm sure this will come as a surprise to the folks at the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District, too.

The territory bounded roughly by Government Center and State Street on the north, Tremont Street on the west, Essex Street on the south and the buried Central Artery on the east sure looks to me like a "downtown". Downtown Crossing may have lost all its department stores, but it's still a recognizably commercial crossroads along the lines of State and Madison streets in Chicago or Herald Square in New York.

And just to the northeast of this is Post Office Square, which last I looked was still ringed with office buildings. And it looks to me like it still is. If this isn't a "downtown," and a big-city one too, then the word "downtown" has no meaning.

And that general area is definitely a central business district, too. What else would you call it? It's certainly not Beacon Hill, or the North End, or Chinatown.
DTX has a Primark and a Macy’s.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:34 PM

19 posts, read 14,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'd say the same thing about Philadelphia.

Sure, King of Prussia is chock-full of ultra-luxe retailers, but nothing about this region screams "glamour" to me — not even the Main Line, where I'd say the aesthetic is more Brooks Brothers than Armani.

(And the beauty of Brooks Brothers style, which I tend to prefer in my own dress, is: It never goes out of fashion because it was never in fashion to begin with.)

And everyone else in this region dresses like they're headed to the 700 level* of the late lamented Veterans Stadium: Both the city and its suburbs give off a decidedly workaday vibe, save for those more rustic places like Bucks or Chester counties.

Besides, Michelin doesn't even rate Philadelphia restaurants yet, so how this city made it onto that list amazes me, too. (However, most food media give Philadelphia very high marks for the quality and variety of its food and dining.)

I probably have an email pitching me on running something about this story in my inbox; this article IMO is pure PR clickbait. But I must admit that it's a fun conversation starter.

*The 700 level was the nosebleed section of the multipurpose sports arena opened in 1971 and demolished about 45 years later. Those, of course, were the cheap seats, and the term "700 level" survives in local lingo as a shorthand for "downscale sports fans".
Like you said its click bait but its 25 cities. There arent that many of that ye cities in that could be considered glamours. At least not major cities.
All you said is true about Philly but its got aspects of it that are glamourous such as the Main Line ,Rittenhouse Square, King of Prussia. A decidedly "old money" vibe not many cities other than say Boston can pull off. On the other side of the coin they have also have an overwhelming blue collar working class feel as well

Old 02-23-2022, 08:36 PM

14,165 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
DTX has a Primark and a Macy’s.
Forgot about Macy's, which IIRC occupies what had been Jordan Marsh's main store (unless it's been replaced with a newer structure).

Is the Primark in the former Filene's?

And: Exactly like Phlladelphia now, then. Macy's here occupies the legendary John Wanamaker flagship store, and Primark is in the Fashion District (former Gallery), on the bottom two floors of what was originally a JCPenney and after that a Burlington (no longer Coat Factory).

There's no mini-Target?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City