Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 01:06 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
How on Earth did Houston rank higher than Atlanta or even DFW? Houston seem to flaunt wealth less than the other two.

Less about flaunting wealth and fashion. Less notoriety in pop culture, entertainment.
For Atlanta, agreed completely. But what exactly has Dallas showcased in pop culture of its own? I guess the cowboys? If you see say the Dallas TV show, you’re officially old lmao.

Seeing the results, they’re basically tied. And seeing the criteria that was used, Atlanta runs away from the Texas metros in Entertainment (media) while the Texas metros out do Atlanta in fine dinning and fashion. And also wealth.

Regardless, the list is about glamour not notoriety. Scottsdale is pretty quiet but it’s quintessential to glamour.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 02-20-2022 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 01:31 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
I have never seen the TV show Dallas, that's just too lo g go. But the Cowboys, don't they have one of those real housewife franchises?

Idk, I think In pop culture DFW is more glamorous. And Atlanta is definitely way ahead of both.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:37 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I have never seen the TV show Dallas, that's just too lo g go. But the Cowboys, don't they have one of those real housewife franchises?

Idk, I think In pop culture DFW is more glamorous. And Atlanta is definitely way ahead of both.
Regardless that’s not what this topic is on. Atlanta while it’s by far way ahead of Dallas/Houston in media notoriety, it’s not necessarily showcased as a glamorous place the way the media does to Miami and LA.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:57 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lastly, the overlap is wealth and status- per your own words. Those crowds are bound to move to encounter each other in a major city. Sophistication isn’t an antonym of glamour and likely is a part of glamour.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I didn't mean to suggest that "glamourous" and "sophisticated" people have nothing in common, but I just see those two adjectives as diametrically opposed personalities or personal expressions. Definition-wise, the word "subtle" comes up for sophistication. I don't think I'm alone on that point given others' comments.

It's like the difference between the movie star driving the latest Lambo versus the investment banker driving a 15-year old Volvo. Both are capable of possessing serious status and wealth, but one doesn't care if people know it.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:02 PM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Are you talking about the same Chicago as I am?

It’s no more working middle class than NYC. The top affluence in NYC certainly exceeds the top level affluence of Chicago, but median incomes and educational attainment might as well be identical. LA probably has a larger, more intact middle class than either. But nobody would argue NYC or LA aren’t glamorous.

I don’t disagree with the idea that much of Chicagoland is firmly middle America. But Chicago is a major destination city. Big lights, one of the worlds elite skylines… People dress well, drink well, and eat very well. It’s a Michelin star worthy food scene, on a global level. It gets downright boujeeee in Chicago. One of the best shopping cities in North America. Some of the most expensive zip codes in North America, too.

You seem to believe glamorous and sophistication are the same. Glamorous is exciting, provocative. They’re nearly antonyms. Chicago qualifies as glamorous, but would agree that it’s not overtly sophisticated like San Francisco, or Boston, or Seattle.
Well people in Chicago absolutely do not dress well, unless you think that unironically raiding the 1980s closet is dressing smart in 2022. I feel like every day is basically a sweatpants enthusiast gathering. But whatever. Food and education can certainly make a place glamorous--and Chicago is a great food city with a relatively well educated population--but alone those things don't make a place glamorous, unless you consider Raleigh and New Orleans glamorous for educational attainment and food. Glamor is a kind of glow, it is panache. It is a subset of class, which absolutely includes sophistication and cosmopolitanism (two things Chicago has very little of).

Old 02-20-2022, 02:03 PM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yes I agree but look at Montclair’s examples. Miami and LA are both extremely seen as glamorous (you can argue that they’re the two most in USA). While neither are particularly sophisticated.

I do agree that there’s an overlap though but not as heavily as you put it.
I think Los Angeles is extremely sophisticated.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:14 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I think Los Angeles is extremely sophisticated.
It definitely is, like NYC, LA wears both hats imo.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:31 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It definitely is, like NYC, LA wears both hats imo.
If you’re defining glamour as rich & famous people, those are the two places in the country that have the most of them. They’re also huge population centers so it’s not like everyone is rich & famous. Beyond those two places, I think you’re most likely to see rich & famous where the NYC and LA people spend their leisure time. The executive jets fly out of Teterboro to a short list of places. A few spots in Florida. Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Hamptons. Aspen. Yellowstone Club. Jackson Hole.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:44 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Well people in Chicago absolutely do not dress well, unless you think that unironically raiding the 1980s closet is dressing smart in 2022. I feel like every day is basically a sweatpants enthusiast gathering. But whatever. Food and education can certainly make a place glamorous--and Chicago is a great food city with a relatively well educated population--but alone those things don't make a place glamorous, unless you consider Raleigh and New Orleans glamorous for educational attainment and food. Glamor is a kind of glow, it is panache. It is a subset of class, which absolutely includes sophistication and cosmopolitanism (two things Chicago has very little of).
Aren't you in the Middle East? Did you end up finally moving to the U.S.? No offense, but you probably know about as much about Chicago and its dress code as I do about Cairo and its lifestyle. Chicago's "relatively educated" population is the best educated among the largest cities (see below); as a downtown attorney, the dress code is alot better than LA or any sunbelt city. Not sure what sweatpants crowd you associate with. You historically, for whatever reason, dislike Chicago, so whatever credibility you have is lost on me.

https://chicagoagentmagazine.com/201...ted-residents/
https://www.studyinternational.com/n...ation-shrinks/

Old 02-20-2022, 05:58 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
The list makes perfect sense when you realize that the degradation/poverty isn't factored in as a negative. i.e Their's no doubt in my mind that the wealthy parts of Houston city limits, are levels above Austin city limits, but the majority of Austin is middle class, while a slight majority of Houston is working class or in poverty. With that being said I'm surprised Portland does so well, I thought it was a relatively unglamorous city with a solid middle class to lower middle class population but nowhere with the ritz of the nice parts of Seattle, Chicago, Saint Louis or Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City