Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 04:40 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
So it seems that Providence has begrudgingly been merged as a satellite of Boston. Baltimore on the other hand has reacted with open hostility to being a satellite of DC, regardless of the short distance between them.

I participated in a study at Johns Hopkins a few years ago and spoke with a couple Baltimore dwellers for a while. Surprisingly, they told me that when they head to DC, they say their going
“down to the city”.
I've never heard ANYONE EVER consider going to DC going "down to the city."

That wouldn't even make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfor1 View Post
I don’t know if it’s supposed to honestly. I don’t think so. I’m from this area. I grew up in the Baltimore area for most of my life. I’ve never even thought about DC as my “main city” at all. For me, my family, friends, co-workers, classmates, etc, Baltimore is our city. Whether you’re in the gentrified parts, the hard parts, or the suburbs. We go out to DC quite a bit because it’s easy (-ish) to get to but that’s considered going “out of town” almost. It’s entering a brand new region.

Yeah, definitely. It’s the center of its own metro and likewise, DC is at the center of its own metro. I feel like Baltimore and DC a close (distance-wise) version of NYC and Philly. Sure, there’s a growing number of Philly residents who commute to NYC or the NY/NJ region for work, some even go up there occasionally for fun and play, and they sometimes share a lot of amenities. There are strong transit connections between them. However, I highly doubt that anyone would say that Philly is a “second city” to NYC. It’s the same for Baltimore and DC.
Exactly!! People not from either metro don't understand that dynamic. DC has always been "out of town" to us. And Baltimore has always 'the city' or going "in town." Nobody from Baltimore calls DC "The City." It's not out "city." To claim.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:33 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
DC is defintely out of town in Baltimore. Ive never heard people refer to that as the City.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC is defintely out of town in Baltimore. Ive never heard people refer to that as the City.
Baltimore is even more "out of town" to those in DC itself. DC doesn't even claim its own suburbs surrounding it most of the time. Like I said in the other thread (insulated). There's little reason for folks in DC to even go to Baltimore, most just skip it on the way up to NYC/Philly.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:39 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Baltimore is even more "out of town" to those in DC itself.
Yes it is.

Whereas in Boston Providence isn't considered being out of town. In Providence, Boston kind of is the capital C, "city" but maybe that could depend on the person and how die-hard Prov they are.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Baltimore is even more "out of town" to those in DC itself. DC doesn't even claim its own suburbs surrounding it most of the time. Like I said in the other thread (insulated). There's little reason for folks in DC to even go to Baltimore, most just skip it on the way up to NYC/Philly.
That's one thing I'll never understand about DC.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:02 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Sure but I don't think that's enough to say that Baltimore's economy is becoming linked to DC's economy (in a way that suggests that it's increasingly reliant on it). There are plenty of other metro areas with higher fed govt jobs/economic influence than Baltimore. Cities/Metros like Colorad Springs, San Antonio, San Diego, and Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach-Norfolk area) all have higher concentrations of fed economic influence than Baltimore.
Baltimore is still top 10 in this regard. With Ft. Meade, West Point, and CMS and SSI headquarters in the MSA, that only makes sense: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mployment-belt

Old 03-28-2022, 06:38 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Sure but I don't think that's enough to say that Baltimore's economy is becoming linked to DC's economy (in a way that suggests that it's increasingly reliant on it). There are plenty of other metro areas with higher fed govt jobs/economic influence than Baltimore. Cities/Metros like Colorad Springs, San Antonio, San Diego, and Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach-Norfolk area) all have higher concentrations of fed economic influence than Baltimore.

Similarly, life science companies can be found all over the northeast. Philadelphia and NJ as well as the Boston area have been huge biomedical and life science hubs. Baltimore has been a major health care economy-driven city for decades now, even before the resurgence and economic boom that is DC. Of course, as a metro area, they both are going to be linked but I don't even think it's as large as we suggest. The federal government influence is seeping into the Baltimore area but they're doing that all over the country. The cities I mentioned above along with cities like Atlanta, St. Louis, Denver, etc are getting an increasing number of fed jobs yet I wouldn't say that they are influenced by DC. They really are two different metro areas that simply share the same space.
I understand that, but the Baltimore suburbs cannot change their own location. There are parts of suburban Baltimore to it's South that are effectively bedroom suburbs (or exurbs) of the greater DC area. To their credit or not, suburban DC's sprawl over the decades stretched up to connect to greater Baltimore. That really isn't debatable. For the sake of both metros retaining their own spherical influence this means that you will see connected activity in between on a suburban tier, but it's not all some central defined combined business core between the two. Why else do you think they make up a combined statistical area?

Old 03-28-2022, 08:24 AM

36 posts, read 19,810 times
Quote:
I understand that, but the Baltimore suburbs cannot change their own location. There are parts of suburban Baltimore to it's South that are effectively bedroom suburbs (or exurbs) of the greater DC area. To their credit or not, suburban DC's sprawl over the decades stretched up to connect to greater Baltimore. That really isn't debatable. For the sake of both metros retaining their own spherical influence this means that you will see connected activity in between on a suburban tier, but it's not all some central defined combined business core between the two. Why else do you think they make up a combined statistical area?
I don't think you're understanding our (or at least my) point about this. I don't believe that my point was to address the link between Baltimore and DC (though I will address that). Yet, it was to say that the stated reason why you or someone else here think DC "influences Baltimore" economically can be used for other areas in the country that have an even greater fed govt economic dependence than a city like Baltimore.

Sure, there are parts of suburban Baltimore that are used as an exurb for DC. However, the reverse can also be true. There are plenty of people that live in the northern suburbs of DC that commute to Baltimore City or its surrounding business centers. Also, statistically, I don't think that the majority of those who live in say, Howard or Anne Arundel counties commute to DC/DC metro If anything, I'm willing to bet that they stay in the Baltimore area rather than go to the DC area. I actually think that you know that as well. These areas are still strongly linked to Baltimore compared to DC. Again, a similar relationship can be seen between NYC and Philly. There are those who live in Southern NJ (which is in the Philly metro) that commute to NYC and those that live in the NYC-influenced parts of Central NJ who commute to Philadelphia.

I'd say that Baltimore and DC are a much tighter-linked version of that relationship. They can share the same CSA. That's fine (though I don't like the idea of relying on CSAs for northeastern cities due to how tight our region is compared to cities in the South or the West). I simply just don't subscribe to the idea that these are now DC suburbs or "highly influenced" by DC simply because you have a number of DC-area commuters living Howard or Anne Arundel or Southern Baltimore counties. They live in the Baltimore area - a different metro that shares the same region as DC metro

Old 03-28-2022, 08:32 AM

36 posts, read 19,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Baltimore is still top 10 in this regard. With Ft. Meade, West Point, and CMS and SSI headquarters in the MSA, that only makes sense: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mployment-belt
Sure, but what's your point here? They're in the top 10. There are still cities well above it. And some of those cities are nowhere near DC yet more reliant on DC than Baltimore is.

I assume you mean the Naval Academy. I think West Point is in New York. And then there's the Air Force Academy based in Colorado

Plenty of other metros across the country has military bases and command centers. San Antonio and Jacksonville come to mind. Norfolk and San Diego have huge ones.

There are other cities that have federal agency headquarters. Atlanta has the CDC for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City