Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 03:14 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I get that on a local level. You can be more specific when people know where you're talking about. But if lingo, accent, style, food, culture, is the same as the city in which you reside just outside of, then it doesn't hurt to claim it. If a person tells me that they're from PG, I see them as someone from DC. Somebody from Hollywood, Florida: Miami; Santa Monica, CA: LA.
The issue is in many situation especially in MA the accent style anf culture is nothing like Boston. People from 95% white Republicans Rowley Ma saying by they’re from Boston misrepresents the culture and the city. That legitimately pisses people off to an extent. Rowleybis nothing at all like the city of Boston.

A few weeks ago some people got into my Uber I like where y’all front they’re like Boston: in my head in like there’s 0% chance your from Boston…

So I “go what part?” They say Taunton. -_-

I said “…so Providence??”

Like why are y’all running around lying lol. You live in the Providence MSA, Providence media market, and are significantly closer to Providence than Boston. But Taunton is a city in its own right. Like that’s weiiird to me… I totally get the DC irritation. People who don’t know your city as anything more than a field trip or ball game tryna rep it. No. Stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 03:26 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
That’s surprising to hear that Boston and Providence operate with the same cohesiveness as Dallas/Fort worth or San Francisco/San Jose.
I don’t think it’s near the same cohesiveness as in those places, but I’m having a bit of trouble coming up with a better comparison. San Fran/Sacramento or Phoenix/Tucson maybe?

Old 03-15-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I don’t think it’s near the same cohesiveness as in those places, but I’m having a bit of trouble coming up with a better comparison. San Fran/Sacramento or Phoenix/Tucson maybe?
Maybe New York-Newark? Phoenix-Tucson seems good though. Idk that area.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:37 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The issue is in many situation especially in MA the accent style anf culture is nothing like Boston. People from 95% white Republicans Rowley Ma saying by they’re from Boston misrepresents the culture and the city. That legitimately pisses people off to an extent. Rowleybis nothing at all like the city of Boston.

A few weeks ago some people got into my Uber I like where y’all front they’re like Boston: in my head in like there’s 0% chance your from Boston…

So I “go what part?” They say Taunton. -_-

I said “…so Providence??”

Like why are y’all running around lying lol. You live in the Providence MSA, Providence media market, and are significantly closer to Providence than Boston. But Taunton is a city in its own right. Like that’s weiiird to me… I totally get the DC irritation. People who don’t know your city as anything more than a field trip or ball game tryna rep it. No. Stop.
I understand, and agree, that if you're from Taunton and you're getting into a car in Boston, saying you're from Boston is a bit odd. But your answer of "So, Providence?" isn't accurate. Taunton isn't a part of Providence, any more than Ellicott City is a part of Baltimore. But just as Taunton is in the Providence MSA and its media market (and thus counts as Providence in your example), so too is Ellicott City in the Baltimore MSA and its media market.

Now, suppose you pick up someone and ask them where they're from, and they say Daly City. Have you ever heard of that place? Do you know where it is? If you don't, I'll tell you: it's adjacent to San Francisco. Someone could live in Daly City and walk 10 feet and be in San Francisco. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to tell you that they're from San Francisco, so you can have an idea of the area in which they live? After all, the average Uber driver in Boston is not likely to be intimately familiar with the San Francisco MSA enough to have heard of Daly City. But maybe you are, and you say "Really? I used to live in the Marina District. Where do you live?" Then they'll know that you're familiar with the area and they can tell you Daly City.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I understand, and agree, that if you're from Taunton and you're getting into a car in Boston, saying you're from Boston is a bit odd. But your answer of "So, Providence?" isn't accurate. Taunton isn't a part of Providence, any more than Ellicott City is a part of Baltimore. But just as Taunton is in the Providence MSA and its media market (and thus counts as Providence in your example), so too is Ellicott City in the Baltimore MSA and its media market.

Now, suppose you pick up someone and ask them where they're from, and they say Daly City. Have you ever heard of that place? Do you know where it is? If you don't, I'll tell you: it's adjacent to San Francisco. Someone could live in Daly City and walk 10 feet and be in San Francisco. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to tell you that they're from San Francisco, so you can have an idea of the area in which they live? After all, the average Uber driver in Boston is not likely to be intimately familiar with the San Francisco MSA enough to have heard of Daly City. But maybe you are, and you say "Really? I used to live in the Marina District. Where do you live?" Then they'll know that you're familiar with the area and they can tell you Daly City.
I picked them up in baltimore.

I know my answer isn’t accurate but they want to be a part of some place notable- so I gave em Providence as consolation. I didn’t wanna be too mean. But I’d never ever say they were form Providence I could tell they aren’t from Providence too!

I’d love to know more about Daly City! Also it’s a bit more sane when your like 5 min from the city. Still you can just be honest and we’ll clear it up in under 30 seconds. Why is that too much? I just don’t get it. I may be familiar with San Francisco but that’s not where you’re from, lol…so that’s misleading. Tell me where your from and it’s relation to San Francisco

A lot of people are from boonies 20+ miles away that bear little to no resemblance physically culturally or demographically to the principal city. And in reality they’re not nearly as familiar with the city as a localS they’re like two steps above a tourist maybe.Especially in a state where each town has 350 years of self governance and local culture.

It matters a lot less in a place like Clark County NV or LA County where the city boundaries are pockmarked with gaps and post war communities and developments with no identity and can rely on county governance. And the stratification/dissimilarity isn’t very high. Western metros have more urban/dense/diverse suburbs whos density more resembles the principal city.

Some of these “boston” folks from Dover and Weston might as well live in a state park

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-15-2022 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-15-2022, 04:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Maybe New York-Newark? Phoenix-Tucson seems good though. Idk that area.
My problem with NY/Newark is the same as Dallas/Ft. Worth or SF/SJ: Foxborough is not at all similar to Hoboken, Arlington TX, or Redwood City.

PVD may look to Boston in a similar way that those other cities look to their larger neighborhoods, but the physical separation is also more pronounced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
But just as Taunton is in the Providence MSA and its media market
It’s in the Boston NECTA tho.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:42 PM

I opted for Newark over JC/Hoboken. For some level of distance and to show the economic disparity. It’s not perfect. Maybe La San Bernardino?

Old 03-15-2022, 04:51 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
I picked them up in baltimore.

I know my answer isn’t accurate but they want to be a part of some place notable- so I gave em Providence as consolation. I didn’t wanna be too mean. But I’d never ever say they were form Providence I could tell they aren’t from Providence too!

I’d love to know more about Daly City! Also it’s a bit more sane when your like 5 min from the city. Still you can just be honest and we’ll clear it up in under 30 seconds. Why is that too much? I just don’t get it. I may be familiar with San Francisco but that’s not where you’re from, lol…so that’s misleading. Tell me where your from and it’s relation to San Francisco

A lot of people are from boonies 20+ miles away that bear little to no resemblance physically culturally or demographically to the principal city. And in reality they’re not nearly as familiar with the city as a localS they’re like two steps above a tourist maybe.Especially in a state where each town has 350 years of self governance and local culture.

It matters a lot less in a place like Clark County NV or LA County where the city boundaries are pockmarked with gaps and post war communities and developments with no identity and can rely on county governance. And the stratification/dissimilarity isn’t very high. Western metros have more urban/dense/diverse suburbs whos density more resembles the principal city.

Some of these “boston” folks from Dover and Weston might as well live in a state park
Is it proximity to the main city that annoys you? If you picked up the same people, and they said they were from Boston, and you said what part, and they said Cambridge, would you have let it slide? I think that they assumed that you were from Baltimore, so they said Boston.

I was at the basketball court in Towson yesterday, and some dude from Baltimore ask a group of other guys if they wanted to play "50." They didn't sounded like they weren't from Baltimore, and they've never heard of 50 so somebody asked where they were from. They said PG, so the dude from Baltimore said, "So ya'll from DC." They were like "No, PG..Oxon Hill." I'm sure that dudes from Baltimore don't know where the hell Oxon Hill is. They automatically tied PG to DC.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:16 PM

4,417 posts, read 5,148,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
That’s why I mentioned it in the opening. It’s unique but not quite the same story as Baltimore it seems. Seattle/ Tacoma doesn’t work either.

Maybe Cincinnati/Dayton?

Old 03-15-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Is it proximity to the main city that annoys you? If you picked up the same people, and they said they were from Boston, and you said what part, and they said Cambridge, would you have let it slide? I think that they assumed that you were from Baltimore, so they said Boston.

I was at the basketball court in Towson yesterday, and some dude from Baltimore ask a group of other guys if they wanted to play "50." They didn't sounded like they weren't from Baltimore, and they've never heard of 50 so somebody asked where they were from. They said PG, so the dude from Baltimore said, "So ya'll from DC." They were like "No, PG..Oxon Hill." I'm sure that dudes from Baltimore don't know where the hell Oxon Hill is. They automatically tied PG to DC.
If I’m outside the city and someone says Boston for Cambridge mid think it’s a little weird because it’s pretty well known in its own right. But it’s very close to Boston, has the urbanity anf you’ll have some familiarity with Boston beyond the surface level. It’s not as bad as some of these random town: that have really nothing in common with Boston. The lived experience gap is way too large.

Culturally Cambridge is still a bit different anf you will find people who really have Cambridge pride and don’t want be be told they’re from Boston. Depending on the crowd you’re with you can’t claim Boston anf be from Cambridge: if it wa a scenario like yours in Roxbury they’d laugh at you aloud to everybody. Boston is just like that. If you’re with suburbanites they wouldn’t say a word. If you were with hood will hunting types (if they lived in Boston) they’d prolly do what the Roxburyians do and sneer or give you the sideye. Cambridge Carrie’s a hippie dip pie/yuppie/soft reputation compared to Boston.

I would talk about Cambridge but you can’t say you’re from Cambridge when I ask what part anf I just be silent. That’s still weird. You just told me you’re from a city with it whole own vibe. It’s not like I’m in Cambridge often when I I’ve in Boston: not unless I was going to concerts at the Middle East. I don’t have friends in or from Cambridge like I do most parts of Boston. I’ve met folks from theyre and they’re typically cool af though: I like Cambridge.

Cambridge never had things that shaped Boston like Bussi king, a strong mayor form of government, aliquot license cap it’s also pretty gridded much unlike Boston and much wealthier and more integrated. The way the Boston Area is Balkanized you don’t go from town to town very often. Road network and development patterns aren’t conducive to that the way they are in Maryland with big wide modern highways with cloverleafs nd arterial development and copy paste subdivisions all over suburbs (and periphery Baltimore City), County governments etc etc .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City