Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 08:50 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfor1 View Post
I don't think you're understanding our (or at least my) point about this. I don't believe that my point was to address the link between Baltimore and DC (though I will address that). Yet, it was to say that the stated reason why you or someone else here think DC "influences Baltimore" economically can be used for other areas in the country that have an even greater fed govt economic dependence than a city like Baltimore.

Sure, there are parts of suburban Baltimore that are used as an exurb for DC. However, the reverse can also be true. There are plenty of people that live in the northern suburbs of DC that commute to Baltimore City or its surrounding business centers. Also, statistically, I don't think that the majority of those who live in say, Howard or Anne Arundel counties commute to DC/DC metro If anything, I'm willing to bet that they stay in the Baltimore area rather than go to the DC area. I actually think that you know that as well. These areas are still strongly linked to Baltimore compared to DC. Again, a similar relationship can be seen between NYC and Philly. There are those who live in Southern NJ (which is in the Philly metro) that commute to NYC and those that live in the NYC-influenced parts of Central NJ who commute to Philadelphia.

I'd say that Baltimore and DC are a much tighter-linked version of that relationship. They can share the same CSA. That's fine (though I don't like the idea of relying on CSAs for northeastern cities due to how tight our region is compared to cities in the South or the West). I simply just don't subscribe to the idea that these are now DC suburbs or "highly influenced" by DC simply because you have a number of DC-area commuters living Howard or Anne Arundel or Southern Baltimore counties. They live in the Baltimore area - a different metro that shares the same region as DC metro
You've over stated what I stated. My quote was simple:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yeah economy wise (not really the cities, but metro areas) Baltimore's economy has as of more recently been growing with, and more similarly to metro DC, at least on the MD side. Although by percentage Baltimore has slightly stayed ahead in annual growth, but not by a ton. The overall fed government influence throughout the DC area seeps into Baltimore's MSA, and there's also life sciences companies based on both sides.
I'm really speaking more on a macro scale which might be the disconnect here. As only 1 basic example, although there are some others.

Jan 2021-Jan 2022 MSA Job Growth by Percent

Baltimore-Columbia-Towson +3.8%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria +3.4%
Difference= 0.4%

The two metro economies job rate growth was 0.4% rate difference than one another, which is the exact same percentage growth rate difference over that time period between Boston and Providence.

Boston-Cambridge-Nashua +5.0%
Providence-Warwick +4.6%
Difference= 0.4%

As opposed to your example of NY-Philly. Where NY metro's job growth rate over that period was 5.7%, and Philadelphia's was 4.5% making up a 1.2% difference.

This is on paper, not something I just drew up out of my own head. This also is just "job growth". GDP growth percentages are very similar rates for the two cities as well. At least in the last 4-5 years I'm speaking on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 01:05 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes it is.

Whereas in Boston Providence isn't considered being out of town. In Providence, Boston kind of is the capital C, "city" but maybe that could depend on the person and how die-hard Prov they are.
Sorry, no, just not so.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:12 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Sorry, no, just not so.
Like I said depends on the person. I have friends and immediate family living directly in providence. But they're originally from Boston- so to them, the City is Boston when they talk to me. They dont go into Downcity Providence (AFAIK) other than for Providence Place in which case they just say "the mall".

If you're life long Rhode islander I'm sure it's different.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:32 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfor1 View Post
Sure, but what's your point here? They're in the top 10. There are still cities well above it. And some of those cities are nowhere near DC yet more reliant on DC than Baltimore is.

I assume you mean the Naval Academy. I think West Point is in New York. And then there's the Air Force Academy based in Colorado

Plenty of other metros across the country has military bases and command centers. San Antonio and Jacksonville come to mind. Norfolk and San Diego have huge ones.

There are other cities that have federal agency headquarters. Atlanta has the CDC for example.
Yeah the naval academy, not West Point...brain fart there.

The metros that rank higher than Baltimore are huge military hubs in a way Baltimore isn't. Baltimore's economy is driven by federal civilian employment in a huge way, especially given its size.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:19 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Two comments form a Boston globe article today regarding outdoor dining in Bostons north end.

“ Another reason not to go to Boston, more fees, expensive parking if you can find it...go to Providence, the food is better and cheaper.”

Followed by

“ True, I can have as good a meal and good time in Providence as in our own capitol city. And the parking isn't as problematic. So Mayor, if you want to let the revenue go out of state, tax the restaurants or the patrons. It matters little when the resident of South Eastern Massachusetts, and more, go elsewhere! Yes, the food is as good or better in Providence, anyway.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City