Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 01:42 PM

409 posts, read 334,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I'm a big Wale fan and I do like Goldlink as well but yeah most DMV rappers just aren't my thing. I'll sooner listen to a NY drill rapper than some of the local rappers. I just checked out "Reaper" by No Savage and he's not bad.

Hip hop (and the arts in general) is also just way more apart of the culture and economy of NYC than it is in DC so that plays a role.
True.

No Savage is signed to Shy Glizzy's label so that's why he's got some buzz around him at the moment.

Admittedly, I will say that NY/Boston Drill is more sonically better to my ears than a lot of the local street rappers. I like how the samples are incorporated into certain drill songs, too.

We have a few DMV rappers that have drill-style songs but NY/Boston does it better.

Even though I like the raw/IDGAF/DIY attitude of a lot of these newer and younger DMV rappers, the songs are often way too short and the mixing and editing is too choppy, sometimes. Plus the song concepts often get repetitive way too quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 01:52 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Compared to Boston (and NYC) where Drill, afrobeat, “international”, dancehall, soca, and fast paced/electronic hip hop is more popular to Maryland where Trap, Gospel and RnB are stronger was sonically an adjustment. Haven’t heard any drill in Bmore or DC.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:54 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times
*US cities with most identifiable/unique/robust local Black culture

Tier 1
ATL
NYC
Philly
Chicago
New Orleans
LA
Detroit

Tier 2
DC
Houston
Baltimore
Oakland/SF bay
Miami
St Louis
Memphis

Tier 3
The rest which includes
Dallas
Cleveland etc

Last edited by nephi215; 03-24-2022 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Forgot about Memphis

Old 03-24-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Excuse me but this statement is clearly out of touch. I can also tell that you're not black and you are blatantly showing your ignorance on this subject matter.
It’s not that out of touch. It’s true NY and Boston are primarily Carribean and Latino blacks at this point: that makes them the only 2 cities like this beside Miami. What’s ignorant about that?

Only 3 major metros in the country like that. by default that makes them unique. As does being the ONLY metro with a significant Cape Verdean Afro-Lusophone population…

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-24-2022 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-24-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Excuse me but this statement is clearly out of touch. I can also tell that you're not black and you are blatantly showing your ignorance on this subject matter.
Quote:
*US cities with most identifiable/unique/robust local Black culture
Tier 1
ATL
NYC
Philly
Chicago
New Orleans
LA
Detroit

Tier 2
DC
Houston
Baltimore
Oakland/SF bay
Miami
St Louis

Tier 3
The rest which includes
Dallas
Cleveland etc
There are certainly more than 3 tiers I made a thread like this years ago and made 8 tiers. There are 45 million of us.

Why would St Louis be tier 2??

Old 03-24-2022, 02:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There are certainly more than 3 tiers I made a thread like this years ago and made 8 tiers. There are 45 million of us.

Why would St Louis be tier 2??
Their unique accent and very popular artists that blew up in hip hop like Nelly etc. I mean as soon as I hear someone adding rr's (ex there = thurr, hair = hurr) I automatically know that they're from St Louis. Also, I'm not saying other cities black culture are not special in their own right. I'm just listing the ones that truly stand out in the U.S in my opinion.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Their unique accent and very popular artists that blew up in hip hop like Nelly etc. I mean as soon as I hear someone adding rr's (ex there = thurr, hair = hurr) I automatically know that they're from St Louis. Also, I'm not saying other cities black culture are not special in their own right. I'm just listing the ones that truly stand out in the U.S in my opinion.
That’s tier 1? I forgot about that accent but yea that’s true. But tier 1?

Old 03-24-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Nah, I'll be damned lmao. They got a legit claim?
Connecticut Cartiers? I mean I was there for 4 years I never saw it IRL. But on Social Media I do see hood dudes from Hartford wearing them. I dont think CT made them popular no major city and theyre so lowkey as people...but maybe its one of their things.

https://twitter.com/JoliePinkLips/st...ldLNuBc-Phwyiw
https://twitter.com/venus_sachi/stat...ldLNuBc-Phwyiw

She got shot down:
https://twitter.com/_Kaylani/status/...ldLNuBc-Phwyiw
https://twitter.com/MardyMarvel/stat...ldLNuBc-Phwyiw
https://twitter.com/cali_2x/status/1...ldLNuBc-Phwyiw

Old 03-24-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
That's back when NYC had AA culture on lock... Amazing how times have changed.

A generic Philly fit consist of 990's, Adidas track pants, white Polo T, Nike thermafit and Pooh Shiesty mask.

I'll be the first to admit and give credit where it's due. DC has the game on lock wrt to Philly pop culture and lifestyle. The stuff we're rocking is what DC was doing back in the 90's. The NYC-Philly influence is damn near dead.

In 2022, I find myself having more in common with a DC/Bmore dude than a NYC boul. DC is certainly underrated for it's modern cultural impact.
nooooo yall wearing 990s now. Say it aint so. This has to be stopped.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:17 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,122,273 times
Chicago deserves 1, not 1a. It's up their with Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City