Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 03:23 PM

409 posts, read 333,658 times

Advertisements

No love for Seattle, Minneapolis, and/or Austin??

I know those are culturally more white but are there any unique features of black culture out in those metro areas?

I genuinely want to know? I feel like they get drowned out in these types of discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 03:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
No love for Seattle, Minneapolis, and/or Austin??

I know those are culturally more white but are there any unique features of black culture out in those metro areas?

I genuinely want to know? I feel like they get drowned out in these types of discussions.
Austin?

Seattle and Minne okay, but Austin? I'm sure a TX poster can learn us something

Old 03-24-2022, 03:30 PM

409 posts, read 333,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Austin?

Seattle and Minne okay, but Austin? I'm sure a TX poster can learn us something
I was gonna put Portland there but that would be 2 Pacific Northwest cities. I wanted to keep it geographically balanced.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
That's back when NYC had AA culture on lock... Amazing how times have changed.

A generic Philly fit consist of 990's, Adidas track pants, white Polo T, Nike thermafit and Pooh Shiesty mask.

I'll be the first to admit and give credit where it's due. DC has the game on lock wrt to Philly pop culture and lifestyle. The stuff we're rocking is what DC was doing back in the 90's. The NYC-Philly influence is damn near dead.

In 2022, I find myself having more in common with a DC/Bmore dude than a NYC boul. DC is certainly underrated for it's modern cultural impact.
I can respect the Bol for this one.

Philly is a major Black influenced city, I think that part is clear. It is placed on my list as tier 1a. I think on this end it's just always been a sense that the NYC sphere is so large that at least some influence from that city seeps down to Philly, but for those who know Philly well and spent time there, they understand that city has an entire local Black culture of it's own with it's own clear nuances.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:32 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Excuse me but this statement is clearly out of touch. I can also tell that you're not black and you are blatantly showing your ignorance on this subject matter.
I don’t think it’s very ignorant to say African Americans with 300 years or more of Common roots have more in common with each other than a group in Boston of NY that’s 40% Foreign Born.

I am not saying Black people in Atlanta or Nashville are the same but are more similar to each other than a community that is largely from Ghana or Kenya like in Worcester. (which should be an obviously true statement)

Like Dearborn MI is 89.5% white but it’s white community is not the same as that in Butte MT or Little Rock Ark or Portland ME who are comparatively homogeneous because they all are mostly American as opposed to Iraqi, Afghani or Syrian.

Same thing the Majority of Minneapolis’s Black population is Muslim from Somalia that’s a pretty foundational difference compared to literally the entire South where the most important black institutions are still AME churches. And they’re Americans who like Football not soccer have common soul food across the region Etc.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don’t think it’s very ignorant to say African Americans with 300 years or more of Common roots have more in common with each other than a group in Boston of NY that’s 40% Foreign Born.

I am not saying Black people in Atlanta or Nashville are the same but are more similar to each other than a community that is largely from Ghana or Kenya like in Worcester. (which should be an obviously true statement)

Of course, this actually is the case. What you said was not ignorant at all but rather obvious and legitimate. It's the primary reason I think Boston is even on this list. It certainly isnt Tier 2. NYC should be Tier 1 never 1a- but generally they're where they ought to be. Boston isn't readily identifiable to most black people so its down in Tier 3. IT has a more robust black history than most places but the black culture is pretty muted in the city at large, And numbers lack in the metro. but it's noticeably pretty heightened in DRM and HP... even compared to the average black city neighborhood. In response to the dominant white ethos in the rest of the city, protection mechanism. Granted thats faded away as black people and other minorities have spread into more neighborhoods since the 1980s/190s and into the subrubs in the last 20 years. And more Hispanics have entered black neighborhoods. Lot of more diverse areas now so the need for a heightened black identity in some areas has faded with come notable excpetion in Roxbury and maybe Mattapan Square.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:37 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
In my opinion, things DC's cultural exports include comedians like Dave Chappelle and Martin Lawrence, music: gogo and r&b/soul e.g. Marvin Gaye, Chuck Brown, Ginuwine, Johnny Gill (only one in New Edition not from Boston), Tank, Black Broadway, Duke Ellington, history like being the biggest black urban population for much of America's history, Howard University, birth place of most of the BGLOs, and black bougie/black upper class culture. I'm not a native so I'm sure I'm missing a few things but that's what comes to mind. I can concede that a lot of DC's contributions were pre 2010.
Why are you explaining yourself to someone who can't name 5 unique factors about Black culture in each city he's talking about. Nor can answer simple questions about his actual "knowledge" of the city. He's literally mentioned 3/4 things unique to DC culture on his own not realizing he's contradicting his own point. All this talk about which C-list rap artists blew up the most, has nothing to do with this thread topic.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:04 PM

119 posts, read 37,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
In my opinion, things DC's cultural exports include comedians like Dave Chappelle and Martin Lawrence, music: gogo and r&b/soul e.g. Marvin Gaye, Chuck Brown, Ginuwine, Johnny Gill (only one in New Edition not from Boston), Tank, Black Broadway, Duke Ellington, history like being the biggest black urban population for much of America's history, Howard University, birth place of most of the BGLOs, and black bougie/black upper class culture. I'm not a native so I'm sure I'm missing a few things but that's what comes to mind. I can concede that a lot of DC's contributions were pre 2010.

I mean bro, this is like the 2nd time you've supported my stance indirectly. We're in 2022 now, what can you add to that list that cultivated between 2010-2022 that the masses know about. For a region of nearly 2 million blacks, you don't think that's underwhelming? I can make a similar list of prominent black people/things that came from Boston, it still doesn't make Boston any more identifiable/popular to the masses. This is what I'm arguing, not uniqueness. I've already conceded DC is unique, I don't agree it's identifiable to anyone outside the DMV. You even had someone else in here say you can't even tell the difference between a black DC and Detroit accent. There's two parts to the thread starter's question, uniqueness and identifiable/popular. Those are not synonymous.

What am I contradicting? I was able to name 4 things unique to the DMV region because I HAVE FAMILY DOWN THERE. No other reason. Y'll ring no bells. Nearly 2 million blacks, and it's no pressure at all. Not for nothing, at least Baltimore gets discussed when it comes to their accents or how great THE WIRE was, y'll can't even get that type of press.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
I mean bro, this is like the 2nd time you've supported my stance indirectly. We're in 2022 now, what can you add to that list that cultivated between 2010-2022 that the masses know about. For a region of nearly 2 million blacks, you don't think that's underwhelming? I can make a similar list of prominent black people/things that came from Boston, it still doesn't make Boston any more identifiable/popular to the masses. This is what I'm arguing, not uniqueness. I've already conceded DC is unique, I don't agree it's identifiable to anyone outside the DMV. You even had someone else in here say you can't even tell the difference between a black DC and Detroit accent. There's two parts to the thread starter's question, uniqueness and identifiable/popular. Those are not synonymous.

What am I contradicting? I was able to name 4 things unique to the DMV region because I HAVE FAMILY DOWN THERE. No other reason. Y'll ring no bells. Nearly 2 million blacks, and it's no pressure at all. Not for nothing, at least Baltimore gets discussed when it comes to their accents or how great THE WIRE was, y'll can't even get that type of press.
I lowkey can only name 227 as a DC black show or movie. Lowkey Boston/MA has had a couple of movies and Tv shows now (Jumping the Broom, Survivors Remorse, Blue Hill Ave, Inkwell, City on a Hill, Lift, Squeeze, Equalizer and lowkey lowkey How High- they showed Mike Epps playing a pimp pulling up in what were accurate Massachusetts plates, brief appearances in Malcolm X and Lovecraft Country). Obviously it's infinitely thrashed by white portrayals of Boston but it just makes me think how DC does lack on the film.TV representation front.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:20 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Who cares about uniqueness/robust lol. What matters is what cities have local cultures that leave their metro areas. In that case it's only:

NYC
ATL
CHI
PHL

NOLA is living off of legacy in 2022. Its main relevance is their accent and natural disasters at this point. How do you have DC over NYC and Philly? DC has a small sphere of influence. No one cares about go-go, nike boots, and mumbo sauce outside the DMV. I'm cool with Detroit being tier one.

The cities I mention control fashion, street culture, rap(mainstream, underground, battle).
Late so maybe it's been hit on but how is this true? Culturally today Houston made lingo popular like saucin, drippin, throwed, etc. You can hear them shout it on Screw tapes from 25-30 years ago. The chopped and screwed style is in a lot of hip hop still do this day. Legit Houston has an entire style other cities would emulate and put their own spin to when the whole sipppin lean got popular. Thats obviously a subculture but became a pretty mainstream one thanks to Houston.

The diverse range of Blacks that have come out of Houston too, it can definitely be put up there with those cities in a top 5.

Even though Houston is in tier one on the list, it is still very underrated I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City