Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 09:47 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Nah I can't let this slide lol. Whether it's Motown to Eminem to Dilla to Big Sean to Scam Rap. Detroit is very identifiable to the rest of black America. Not to mention the influence they have in black fashion (carhartts, Cartiers, Pelle jackets) No way DC or Detroit are in the same predicament. I literally see/hear Detroit influence on a daily basis.

Bro, you just admitted in an earlier post, that your from Jerz, and that when you were growing up the "East Coast" in your mind was NY, NJ, and Philly. You pretty much indicated that DC was irrelevant.

And again if black DC natives are as influential as they claim, they should have the ability to make GoGo stick nationally. FOH with all these cop-outs for DC. Y'll have no problem shading Boston for being irrelevant and let all these cities with significant black populations get away with underperforming.
I'm not even from D.C. or Detroit and will tell you D.C. has one of the most identifiable/unique/robust local Black cultures in the nation. Black America knew in the 70's that D.C. was Chocolate City especially when Parliament Funkadelic dedicated an entire song to the city. Not to mention D.C. role as far as Black radio stations and network stations. BET and Urban one just to name a few. Can't forget the Russ Parr Morning show and the legendary Petey Greene. Than there's Howard University. One of the most famous HBCU's in the nation. Plus the long list of famous Black entertainers from D.C. that influenced Black culture for decades. Also Marion Barry was a pretty popular Mayor in the Black community in the 80s and early 90s. D.C. continues to attract Black people from all over the nation while Detroit has been losing it's Black population for quite some time thus losing a bit of it's influence on Black America. Also D.C. is or was one of the few cities that a had a line of Black owned clothing brands that were just as popular as the national urban name brands. D.C. truly moves to the beat of their own drum. People saying otherwise lying to themselves or from Boston. A city on the outside of the center of Black America. Let's just be honest right there.

You said D.C. and Detroit accents sound similar but nah not even. It's obvious you no nothing about D.C. I'm born and raised in East Texas and even I know D.C.'s local Black culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 09:48 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,123,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I said Bmore and Philly all 2021 are really similar in built environment, cuisine, and even sound similar apart from the “oo” and dudes tried to stomp me out over the internet…now here we are. Lol.
Philadelphians that want to distance themselves from Baltimore have superiority complexes. My aunt lived in Dundalk I loved going to Bmore, I felt like I was at home more than any other city. There’s differences for sure, but the similarities are unparalleled. And let’s be honest, most people who can’t notice the similarities are white, lol.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:48 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
And why are people so focused on Hip-hop and accents? There's more to Black culture than just Hip-hop and noticeable accents.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:49 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,123,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
New Balance is HUGE here, yet I couldn't tell you which ones people wear. I haven't had a pair of New Balance since 2005.

Foams and Nike Boots were definitely popularized by DC. We people originally wore them in 97, they were just called Penny's.
Nike Boots are big up here now. I personally like the polo boots more or some Timbs.

I know Bmore is big on UA, it’s slowly creeping up here making some noise.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:53 PM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times
I wore Nike Boots back in Boston- stylish and practical… but I thought we were off Nike Boots now.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I’m speaking on Philly, not NJ or NYC. 990’s are huge here in Philly.

https://twitter.com/dom7st/status/15...766591496?s=21

“Norf Phillies” Lol. Post like that always start a war between Philly DC and Bmore about who started the wave first.

https://twitter.com/angelosaunders/s...384663041?s=21

https://twitter.com/blowme_orvanish/...581703680?s=21
Yea I feel that I don’t go deep into Philly like I do NYC usually. I’m usually like off Lancaster Ave as University City turns hood or like Point Breeze. Rarely do I go north of Girard Ave. I go THRU northeast to Bristol though. I knew I wasn’t seeing it in NYC.

They just said “Marvin Gaye swag” im laughing.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:08 PM

119 posts, read 37,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'm not even from D.C. or Detroit and will tell you D.C. has one of the most identifiable/unique/robust local Black cultures in the nation. Black America knew in the 70's that D.C. was Chocolate City especially when Parliament Funkadelic dedicated an entire song to the city. Not to mention D.C. role as far as Black radio stations and network stations. BET and Urban one just to name a few. Can't forget the Russ Parr Morning show and the legendary Petey Greene. Than there's Howard University. One of the most famous HBCU's in the nation. Plus the long list of famous Black entertainers from D.C. that influenced Black culture for decades. Also Marion Barry was a pretty popular Mayor in the Black community in the 80s and early 90s. D.C. continues to attract Black people from all over the nation while Detroit has been losing it's Black population for quite some time thus losing a bit of it's influence on Black America. Also D.C. is or was one of the few cities that a had a line of Black owned clothing brands that were just as popular as the national urban name brands. D.C. truly moves to the beat of their own drum. People saying otherwise lying to themselves or from Boston. A city on the outside of the center of Black America. Let's just be honest right there.

You said D.C. and Detroit accents sound similar but nah not even. It's obvious you no nothing about D.C. I'm born and raised in East Texas and even I know D.C.'s local Black culture.
Again, I'm not debating DC's uniqueness or robustness. I arguing that relative to its black population, their influence in mainstream black culture is underwhelming and that it's not Tier One. I can list a whole bunch of things for Boston like you just did for DC, doesn't make it any more identifiable on a national scale.

Nah I was referring to another poster who said that the DC accent sounded like Detroit. Although I disagree with him, we both share the sentiment that the DC accent isn't really identifiable outside of the DMV. It really just blends in with the majority of black America which is southern-influenced.

Boston being on the outside of black America has nothing to do with my ability to observe. I'm black American with roots from South Carolina, please don't marginalize me due to the city's racist stigma.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:11 PM

119 posts, read 37,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
And why are people so focused on Hip-hop and accents? There's more to Black culture than just Hip-hop and noticeable accents.
There's definitely multiple aspects to black culture. In your opinion, what is the most efficient way of exporting the local culture of a city to the masses?

Old 03-24-2022, 10:25 PM

Street Dc dudes talk like they got marvels in their mouth. Idk what the hell they be saying. But most blacks people in DC are pretty damn clear i their speech with the only identifiable thing for me being how they say “Uhric” (or Urk) and not “Air-rick” for “Eric” Baltimore is more clear despite the urban hillbilly sound.

Philly DC and Bmore all have these guttural sounding things

Thurl, jawn, drawlin, ard, irkin, “oo” , murland

It’s like this deep round “uh” sound that make me think of hurl and literally hurling.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:33 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
No one in California is checking for Detroit - definitely one-sided. Most of the Bay sound is influenced by the South (Louisiana, Memphis, ATL).

Signed: Former Bay Area resident
I watched this video and was embarrassed to be from the same SPECIES as these miscreants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=zzY64Qu8HHc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City