Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 08:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times

Advertisements

Also, interesting the cultural relationship between the D and Oakland. A lot of Michigan artists sound like the Bay and Vice versa:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzY64Qu8HHc

I even thought blue face was from detroit before I heard he was from Cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Also - how is New Haven not listed when it was a hub for the Black Panther Party and is the hub of Black CT political power + Yale Divinity producing prominent Black clergy. A slot in Tier 3 or Tier 4 would suffice.
The thread isn’t about particular black accomplishments in a place. There is no black new haven culture known to the world. I knew this thread would spiral out lol

Old 03-18-2022, 08:56 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Also - how is New Haven not listed when it was a hub for the Black Panther Party and is the hub of Black CT political power + Yale Divinity producing prominent Black clergy. A slot in Tier 3 or Tier 4 would suffice.
Sure it is but not on a national level

Old 03-18-2022, 08:56 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
NOLA and Atlanta for sure. Everyone else is several notches below these two.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:18 PM

909 posts, read 1,082,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
\Honestly, outside of Bmore NY and Nola it’s just hard to tell without knowing things about the individual.
Depends how strong the accent is. I don't think anyone would assume Kodak Black was from anywhere but Florida by how he looks and talks. Memphis guys are immediately identified with their accent, "mursic" and "confursing". Though it is true some accents are becoming more diluted, especially in the fast growing southern cities. NYC, Philly, Bmore accents are not going anywhere in the black community.

I remember watching this HBO special from 1995 based in Hampton, about the Antwan Sedgwick case. I found it very interesting to hear how they spoke, it was a combination of southern and northern intonations and cadences, interchangeably and fluidly. It's basically mid-atlantic to the mark. The older people had more southern accents while the younger ones clearly had a more hybrid speech. Almost 20 years later, it's even more pronounced in the younger generation all over Hampton Roads. DC sounds almost identical. The last lady almost sounds northern with how she says "trouble" and "because".

I wonder where people would think they were from had they had no knowledge it was filmed in Hampton.

https://youtu.be/uEQfYyH-zBI

https://youtu.be/KmeOXyu4apA

https://youtu.be/Afa7DiybmkQ

https://youtu.be/dd_6OLiYgEE

Old 03-18-2022, 10:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Depends how strong the accent is. I don't think anyone would assume Kodak Black was from anywhere but Florida by how he looks and talks. Memphis guys are immediately identified with their accent, "mursic" and "confursing". Though it is true some accents are becoming more diluted, especially in the fast growing southern cities. NYC, Philly, Bmore accents are not going anywhere in the black community.

I remember watching this HBO special from 1995 based in Hampton, about the Antwan Sedgwick case. I found it very interesting to hear how they spoke, it was a combination of southern and northern intonations and cadences, interchangeably and fluidly. It's basically mid-atlantic to the mark. The older people had more southern accents while the younger ones clearly had a more hybrid speech. Almost 20 years later, it's even more pronounced in the younger generation all over Hampton Roads. DC sounds almost identical. The last lady almost sounds northern with how she says "trouble" and "because".

I wonder where people would think they were from had they had no knowledge it was filmed in Hampton.
Every time I hear Mike Vick speak I'm like damn he could pass for someone from DC the way he talks. Allen Iverson is slightly more twangy, but not far off. DeAngelo Hall is pretty neutral sounding as well. I think people in the 757 sound more DMV like than even people in Richmond do even though it's closer.

Those are good examples, but that chic in the last video to me doesn't sound similar to a DC accent IMO.

Not all Black Virginians are overly Southern in accent. Then you have NOVA where the accent is drowned out a bit anyway and not really identifiable.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:47 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
NOLA and Atlanta for sure. Everyone else is several notches below these two.
NOLA yes. But multiple other cities could claim having a more standout identity in their (local culture), or no less than an equal amount than Atlanta honestly, which is just loaded with Black transplants from every where. New York, DC, Oakland, Memphis, Detroit and possibly even Houston could each be considered right after NOLA as well.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:59 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
NOLA yes. But multiple other cities could claim having a more standout identity in their (local culture), or no less than an equal amount than Atlanta honestly, which is just loaded with Black transplants from every where. New York, DC, Oakland, Memphis, Detroit and possibly even Houston could each be considered right after NOLA as well.
Surely you’re joking? Atlanta’s local Black culture is iconic.

Old 03-19-2022, 12:38 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
How is Miami not tier one. The Caribbean/Latin influence as well as the identifiable accent makes it nearly as identifiable as New York. Florida dudes, especially South Florida also have the entire wick hairstyle to go with their accent. That's literally top 3 most recognizable regional hairstyle known to man. Obviously the stereotypical accent is most prominent in the ghetto, but even outside of it, I've found Black Floridians to still have similar identifiable cultural features, and accents just toned down from the stereotype.

West Coast guys also have pretty identifiable culture, although their is a large suburban population that seems a bit different from the stereotype.

I would say, You could almost always tell someone's from California, with Oakland/East Bay being the most uniform culturally. Places like Minnesota also have the large Somali influence in their local black culture.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Surely you’re joking? Atlanta’s local Black culture is iconic.
It depends. If you talking to generational Atlantan whose family never left out of their local hood, then sure.
But outside of that black folks raised in surrounding counties often sound no different than someone raised somewhere like PG county up outside DC.

So many ppl from all over influence Atlanta, the young kids do not sound like TI anymore. I’ll keep pointing out that if this specific to the 90s, then this thing would be easier to tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City