Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more recognizable skyline?
Seattle 89 64.03%
Toronto 50 35.97%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 09:26 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I just did a count of International airlines serving both Toronto Pearson vs Seatac (not including U.S and Canadian Airlines) and the count is 34 International Carriers serving Pearson vs 19 for Seatac. So it appears to the travelling global population Toronto is more on the radar for them than Seattle.
Toronto is bigger though, and the main entry point for it’s country. None of this points to a more recognizable skyline.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:40 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You're not wrong, but it's also easier for carriers to get permission to operate in Canadian airports. The gap is real but wider than it should be.

I've flown Seattle-London quite a few times. There's traditionally the option of a packed direct flight or a half-empty flight via Vancouver.

Sea-Tac has also had capacity issues. They just opened a new international arrivals facility in May, making several more gates international-capable and more than doubling Customs capacity. Now, airlines are starting to announce new flights we'd never have gotten before.
I'm not sure of how complicated it is for Carriers vs the two Countries tbh. That said, I think the fact Toronto has a significant number of more International Carriers is simply because it is the more global of the two cities. It connects to more places because more people around the world are connected to it for fairly obvious reasons. I think that has more to do with it than it is easier to get permission to go to Pearson.

Toronto Pearson is also having Capacity issues. Welcome to the club. This is a global issue due to a lack of staffing, covid rules/regs and some other reasons as we recover from the pandemic. Just google search Toronto airport issues or Amsterdam etc etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Toronto is bigger though, and the main entry point for it’s country. None of this points to a more recognizable skyline.
This is my point. It is bigger and is a bigger international entry point and terminus for International pax. What else is there in supporting which city would be more recognizable though. What criteria do you want to use if not for global connectivity, city size and relative importance etc. You want to use Frasier as the metric instead for Seattle or Turning Red for Toronto?

Last edited by fusion2; 06-07-2022 at 09:48 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 09:52 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is my point. It is bigger and is a bigger international entry point and terminus for International pax. What else is there in supporting which city would be more recognizable though. What criteria do you want to use if not for global connectively, city size and relative importance etc. You want to use Frasier as the metric instead?
I mean visual media is a huge part of it (maybe the largest when talking about recognizing skylines). Airport size is not. Atlanta's skyline isn't at the forefront of anyone's mind just because of how many use Hartsfield-Jackson.

But short of just surveying people with an image of the Space Needle and an image of the CN Tower to see what they say, this is an unknowable question.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:00 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
This is why skyline discussions were originally banned, as they invariably devolve into completely off-topic discussions such as which airports have more international carriers. This thread is now closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City