Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more recognizable skyline?
Seattle 89 64.03%
Toronto 50 35.97%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 11:34 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Seattle is better. It is not as bland. The skyline is more recognizeable. Toronto skyline trying to be like New York but falls flat. CN tower too tall and out of place.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:10 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
If Toronto is the postcard image I can't imagine people looking at that and thinking "wow, I really want to move there now" . Impressive pace of construction but there is just nothing all that enticing or iconic about Toronto.

Imagine looking at Toronto on a postcard and comparing with poster images of some the other most popular countries in the world for immigration... New York or Los Angeles, Sydney or Melbourne, London, Paris, Madrid, Geneva, Auckland, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore... Wow that is pretty disappointing. They'd be much wiser to put Vancouver on a postcard until they realize most of the immigrants applying would be unable to afford shelter in months.

Like I said, I had trouble visualizing the CN Tower and I've lived in Ontario (Ottawa to be fair). It's just so bland and its only feature is to be "tall". I've never lived in Seattle and I can draw it without a photo very realistically. For new tower projects and construction Toronto is much more impressive but for the overall backdrop and memorability Seattle is more iconic.
Amen to this comment! This is always how I've viewed both the Toronto and Seattle skylines, myself. While Toronto's skyline is fine, there are so many highrises that've been built that aren't distinctive, where it feels like you're looking at the skyline of Miami or NYC. I won't deny there are a few buildings in Toronto that stand out(i.e. CN Tower, Toronto City Hall), but to me it's skyline doesn't stand out as much as I wish it did. To me even if(for all I may guess) it has fewer highrises vs. Toronto, I like the appearance of Seattle's skyline better.

And finally I agree the design of the Space Needle in Seattle, stands out more than the design of the CN Tower.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:28 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
If Toronto is the postcard image I can't imagine people looking at that and thinking "wow, I really want to move there now" . Impressive pace of construction but there is just nothing all that enticing or iconic about Toronto.

Imagine looking at Toronto on a postcard and comparing with poster images of some the other most popular countries in the world for immigration... New York or Los Angeles, Sydney or Melbourne, London, Paris, Madrid, Geneva, Auckland, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore... Wow that is pretty disappointing. They'd be much wiser to put Vancouver on a postcard until they realize most of the immigrants applying would be unable to afford shelter in months.
Apparently most immigrants do not share your viewpoint, as Toronto remains one of the largest immigrant draws in the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Seattle is better. It is not as bland. The skyline is more recognizeable. Toronto skyline trying to be like New York but falls flat. CN tower too tall and out of place.
How is it "trying to be like New York?"
It looks NOTHING alike, nor is it heading in that direction. Nowhere near as dense. It looks more like Miami than anything, with blue glass towers overlooking a large body of water.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:06 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Apparently most immigrants do not share your viewpoint, as Toronto remains one of the largest immigrant draws in the world...

How is it "trying to be like New York?"
It looks NOTHING alike, nor is it heading in that direction. Nowhere near as dense. It looks more like Miami than anything, with blue glass towers overlooking a large body of water.
It looks more like Miami than anything. It should stick to that. It is generic and bland looking. Seattle has better architecture and balance. It is not as recognizeable as Seattle. Most people agree and that's that.

Old 06-04-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
It looks more like Miami than anything. It should stick to that. It is generic and bland looking. Seattle has better architecture and balance. It is not as recognizeable as Seattle. Most people agree and that's that.
I agree with your first three sentences. Not the final two though.
Perhaps most C-D users agree, as the vast majority of posters here are American, but quite frankly, the majority of the world knows nothing about Seattle, while they at least know what Toronto is. Americans tend to vastly overestimate how much the world knows (or cares) about cities not named NYC, LA, and SF.

The funny thing is, Toronto is ranked as a top 10 WORLDWIDE skyline in the vast majority of travel articles (google Top world skylines.) Seattle generally ranks high too, but not nearly on the same consistent level as Toronto.

Only on C-D is this such a debate.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:33 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Most immigrants care more about immigration laws and job markets than skyline competitions.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:15 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Sorry Shakeesha, but I have to strongly disagree. Toronto is much more daring and cutting-edge, it's not even close. The views from the Lake barely provide a glimpse of it, but some of the designs are jaw-dropping.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:50 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Because Canada has one of the easiest ways of getting permanent residency among developed countries, especially if you're coming from China and have money. A not small number of those glass condos are purchased by Communist government officials and their families from China. Yes, the Miami analogy is apt. When you realize that, it becomes even less exciting and worth boasting about.

Old 06-05-2022, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Because Canada has one of the easiest ways of getting permanent residency among developed countries, especially if you're coming from China and have money. A not small number of those glass condos are purchased by Communist government officials and their families from China. Yes, the Miami analogy is apt. When you realize that, it becomes even less exciting and worth boasting about.
I’m not disagreeing with you here. But it doesn’t make it any less recognizable.

Old 06-05-2022, 05:11 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
CN Tower just because it was the tallest building in the world for a while (by height of the entire structure, not height of the occupied section, as Chicagoans will be eager to remind you)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City