Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who wins
California 62 68.89%
Texas 28 31.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 12:49 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I dont think you know much about Rice. Its a university that specializes in the sciences and science based technology. Its literally number one on earth for material sciences. What Rice offers those fields is far above and beyond what UT offers any of the fields you named. UT is one of many schools that can offer students a solid, but not exceptional education in those fields. Rice offers an exceptional education in the fields its known for, but doesnt cast as wide a net. It has very few peers to the degree that UT has many.

If you want a business degree or want to be a non-science based entrepreneur, by all means UT is better. So do employers care much more about what UT offers? If you want to go into an entry level sales job or business management, sure. If you want to do anything involving science or technology, absolutely not. UT is a more rounded school that is true, but it doesnt specialize in anything to the degree Rice does.

As a post script, saying UT isn’t as prestigious as Rice because of its high enrollment is simply wrong. The University of Michigan, UCLA, and Berkeley are all objectively superior to UT and have similar sized enrollments.
1.) LOL "material sciences". What even is that major? You are seriously talking about "material sciences" as being equally relevant to engineering, business, law, computer science, economics, etc?

2.) Even for "material sciences", UT Austin is rated higher by the US News rankings.

I think you are the one that has no idea what you are talking about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The really incredible thing is how well-regarded and well-ranked the entire University of California system is as these are several very massive research universities with each one going from well-regarded to being among the top of several fields and this is still with a pretty massive in proportional and absolute numbers of in-state students.

The Cal State system also has notable entries and is pretty solid overall. Meanwhile, a lot of the community colleges in California also have fairly good track records as solid springboards.

California also has a lot of well-regarded smaller undergrad-only colleges like Mills, Occidental, and the five Claremont Colleges.
Yep, I said this in my post on the first page of this thread. the UC system is great. Texas really only has UT-Austin and A&M that are academically well regarded with significant enrollments.

Last edited by whereiend; 05-20-2022 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 12:52 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
I don't know what to tell you.

You are arguing that this school is clearly superior to this school. It's an asinine opinion. There is literally not a single field that they rank Rice higher worldwide.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:50 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
1.) LOL "material sciences". What even is that major? You are seriously talking about "material sciences" as being equally relevant to engineering, business, law, computer science, economics, etc?

2.) Even for "material sciences", UT Austin is rated higher by the US News rankings.

Yep, I said this in my post on the first page of this thread. the UC system is great. Texas really only has UT-Austin and A&M that are academically well regarded with significant enrollments.
I'd say it's more like very large enrollment numbers as that kind of numbers being the criteria for significant is a bit, uh, absurdly high. I think in terms of notable research universities with significant enrollments that are private schools, California also has Texas beat pretty handily due to Stanford, Caltech, and USC. Texas has Rice which is a really great school that's top ranking in several fields, but it is just one school.

I think the oddest thing though is DFW, the most populous metropolitan area in Texas, not having a notable top-ranking research university whether public or private.

Also, if you're in STEMS and have never heard of materials science and need to put it in scare quotes, then that's pretty weird. It's a very established and extremely important field within science and engineering. I do agree with the assessment that UT Austin on the graduate and research side though notches higher than Rice (and not just US News rankings as that's just one of several notable rankings out there), though Rice is still very good and I'd say overall better and more highly regarded than A&M (though at the graduate level, STEMS is really about your very specific field and topic which can be very decoupled from overall or even general field rankings) and probably the better undergraduate choice than UT Austin if your net costs are the same and/or the costs don't matter to you.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-20-2022 at 01:59 PM..

Old 05-20-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I'd say it's more like very large enrollment numbers as that kind of numbers being the criteria for significant is a bit, uh, absurdly high. I think in terms of notable research universities with significant enrollments that are private schools, California also has Texas beat pretty handily due to Stanford, Caltech, and USC. Texas has Rice which is a really great school that's top ranking in several fields, but it is just one school.

I think the oddest thing though is DFW, the most populous metropolitan area in Texas, not having a notable top-ranking research university whether public or private.

Also, if you're in STEMS and have never heard of materials science and need to put it in scare quotes, then that's pretty weird. It's a very established and extremely important field within science and engineering. I do agree with the assessment that UT Austin on the graduate and research side though notches higher than Rice, though Rice is still very good and I'd say overall better and more highly regarded than A&M.
I have an engineering degree and work in high tech. I'm just laughing that of all majors one can study at a university, AASB picks that one, and UT Austin still ranks higher than Rice according to USNews. That's funny. I'm sorry but when it comes to actual selective programs UT destroys Rice across the board. Anyway, it's off topic so I'll stop.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I have an engineering degree and work in high tech. I'm just laughing that of all majors one can study at a university, AASB picks that one, and UT Austin still ranks higher than Rice according to USNews. That's funny. I'm sorry but when it comes to actual selective programs UT destroys Rice across the board. Anyway, it's off topic so I'll stop.

How did you not know what materials science is then? I'm kind of curious about what kind of engineering and high tech would make it so that you seemingly wouldn't have even heard about it Not saying anything is wrong with you nor is this meant to be critical of you. I'm just genuinely curious.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
How did you not know what materials science is then? I'm kind of curious about what kind of engineering and high tech would make it so that you seemingly wouldn't have even heard about it Not saying anything is wrong with you nor is this meant to be critical of you. I'm just genuinely curious.
I work in software development at a FAANG company far removed from material science. In engineering school we tended to not to take the pure science majors overly seriously, sorry about that.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:36 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
My daughter is just finishing her junior year at UCI in Materials Science. It is actually an engineering degree; the actual name is Materials Science and Engineering and they do a good bit of crossover with Mechanical Engineering.

I also find it odd that someone who studied engineering would scoff at this field.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:40 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
I work in software development at a FAANG company far removed from material science. In engineering school we tended to not to take the pure science majors overly seriously, sorry about that.
Materials science is an engineering discipline..

I know this is way off the original topic, but I studied electrical engineering, and Mat. Sci. majors were required to take a lot of the same base courses as us including circuit analysis, thermodynamics, statics, and all of the math courses like differential equations and linear algebra. They also had capstone/design projects like every other engineering major had.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I see. I was wondering if maybe you were in pure math or somewhere in biology or something. I guess software also makes sense, though since you mentioned engineering and going into software, then going through EECS or something like it would have seemed like some mention of materials science would have happened as materials science and engineering is very much on the applied side of things.

No need to apologize. Again, not a criticism and it's not like you did anything "wrong". I was just genuinely surprised by the comment and was wondering if maybe my experiences were particularly odd or if I've been in bubble after bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City