Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city or metro is the most similar to Atlanta in 2022?
Washington, D.C. 7 6.73%
Raleigh/Durham (Triangle) 2 1.92%
Charlotte 53 50.96%
Miami 1 0.96%
Nashville 3 2.88%
Birmingham 3 2.88%
Dallas/Forth Worth 25 24.04%
Austin 1 0.96%
Houston 8 7.69%
Other 1 0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 07:24 PM

719 posts, read 493,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Just the general pace of life, the way people move, the activities available, the nightlife, the general bustle. Charlotte feels like I can imagine Atlanta did in the 70s and 80s. There's rural-ish areas in both metros, but Charlotte overall feels a lot less city than Atlanta imo.

With that said, culturally, the two feel similar in many ways, at least moreso than Atlanta and Dallas.
The pace and way of life is not that much different. Atlanta is bigger which comes with more traffic and flow but to say it feels like Atlanta did in the 70s and 80s is a stretch. Charlotte is very progressive and alive. Atlanta definitely feels bigger, but pace of life not so different....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 07:27 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Both Atlanta and Dallas have major airports for connecting flights. Both are corporate meccas with no real predominant industry. When you think of Atlanta and Dallas what industry comes to mind? They are jack-of-all trade cities that desperately want to be considered top tier. I would liken them to Avis when they ran with the marketing campaign “We’re number 2 so we try harder.” Thus the “successful brand and flashy image.”
Having been founded as a railroad hub by state officials to connect Georgia and the South with the markets of the Midwest, Atlanta's bread and butter industry has always been logistics/distribution/transportation (planes, trains, and automobiles quite literally) which explains the prevalence of all the roads named "__________ Industrial Blvd" in the region. The huge clusters of warehousing and storage facilities in the southern, western, and northeastern parts of the metro area, as well as the railyards in northwest Atlanta, attest to this.

Chicago especially and Dallas are two other cities with similar foundings as transportation hubs.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:45 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
The pace and way of life is not that much different. Atlanta is bigger which comes with more traffic and flow but to say it feels like Atlanta did in the 70s and 80s is a stretch. Charlotte is very progressive and alive. Atlanta definitely feels bigger, but pace of life not so different....
More nodes of activity in Atlanta vs Charlotte. It comes with a city being bigger and having a larger cultural identity. No shame to Charlotte and what it is but it hardly compares to the energy of Atlanta and that's fine considering its metro has 4 million fewer people than Atlanta's.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Just the general pace of life, the way people move, the activities available, the nightlife, the general bustle. Charlotte feels like I can imagine Atlanta did in the 70s and 80s. There's rural-ish areas in both metros, but Charlotte overall feels a lot less city than Atlanta imo.

With that said, culturally, the two feel similar in many ways, at least moreso than Atlanta and Dallas.
Atlanta feels "fast-paced" on area roadways, but I'd say that's about it. I think its urban landscape is too segmented to convey any sort of defining pace for the city at large. Now the Beltline has the potential to change that but even then, I'd define that pace as more recreational and leisurely than fast. For the most part, folks don't utilize the Beltline to get from their origin to their destination as quickly as possible since the Beltline itself is the destination.

I think it's more accurate to define Atlanta in terms of the energies it gives, and that varies depending on what part of the city you're in. The primary characterization of Atlanta that I always return to in nearly all aspects is "mixed bag" and that applies here also IMO.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
More nodes of activity in Atlanta vs Charlotte. It comes with a city being bigger and having a larger cultural identity. No shame to Charlotte and what it is but it hardly compares to the energy of Atlanta and that's fine considering its metro has 4 million fewer people than Atlanta's.
I agree, but that doesn't translate into "fast-paced" to me. Atlanta can rightfully be described as more energetic than Charlotte though. New Orleans' energy is practically electrifying to me, but it is deliberately a non-fast-paced place.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:13 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,162,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Um, no. Maybe back in the mid to late 1950s.
Umm, YES!

Old 06-07-2022, 08:21 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
From a black perspective - Houston

Old 06-07-2022, 08:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'm not too familiar with Dallas, but from I imagine the culture in many ways might be more similar to Nashville than Atlanta. I'm also not familiar with Austin but I image to culture to be similar to certain parts of Atlanta (mainly the Eastside areas and Midtown) even though I'm always hearing it compared to Nashville. I can see the argument for Charlotte as well especially being in the same region with similar climates and geography being in the Piedmont region.
I appreciate the fact that you admitted that you aren't too familiar with Dallas and Austin. You should come out sometime and check them out. I think you'll be quite surprised with what you actually find. Dallas is nothing like Nashville and Austin is totally different from Atlanta. I'd say Dallas has a certain similar feel to Atlanta in regard to newer developments, but they feel very different culturally. I agree with the one poster that Houston is most similar to Atlanta in black culture. Dallas has a large black population, but it's a different vibe.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:53 AM

24 posts, read 13,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'm not too familiar with Dallas, but from I imagine the culture in many ways might be more similar to Nashville than Atlanta. I'm also not familiar with Austin but I image to culture to be similar to certain parts of Atlanta (mainly the Eastside areas and Midtown) even though I'm always hearing it compared to Nashville. I can see the argument for Charlotte as well especially being in the same region with similar climates and geography being in the Piedmont region.
First time ever hearing Dallas being more similar to Nashville. I don't see that at all. And Austin and Atlanta are also far apart from one another. For one Austin's culture is predominately hipster, tech, easy going, gig- centric, WHITE, recreational and a hint of Texan culture. Outside of El Paso it feels less southern than all the other major cities in Texas imo. Austin IMO, is more like a Portland, maybe Denver and even a Nashville in some ways. Atlanta though, nah don't see it.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:07 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:

People in Atlanta do not have a faster "general pace of life" or more "general bustle" than Charlotte. They are both Southern cities with a more relaxed and slower pace of life, at least in my experience coming from the North/Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City