Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities comes out on top?
Tampa 39 45.35%
Denver 47 54.65%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 05:02 PM

25 posts, read 21,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
1. For all of the hate that FL cities get during the summer months, it's really not that bad... I'm currently in Charlotte, where today's high is 102 degrees... And that's after a massive thunderstorm that went on from 8AM till 11AM this morning. Talk about humidity? It is FAR worse than the ~90 degrees with a nice gulf breeze that I left from my Tampa Bay area home yesterday.

Also, just glanced at Denver weather... Mid to high 90s... Doesn't sound much better than coastal Florida. Difference is the summer doesn't last as long, but it still gets HOT.

2. Opinions. Can't beat waking up and biking to the beach, enjoying a beer at a pub off the causeway, or heck, even just the scenery driving over the Skyway Bridge. Also, boats, jetskis, kayaking, snorkeling, literally swimming with wild dolphins, year round... I'll take that over mountains ANY day.

3. State is quite purple. Tampa Bay area is mostly blue.
Well done. I'll argue I don't think it hit 95 in Denver today but even if it did, the temperature drops swiftly to where you would need to wear a jacket many summer nights. Never sweaty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 07:09 PM

17,143 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Morris View Post
Well done. I'll argue I don't think it hit 95 in Denver today but even if it did, the temperature drops swiftly to where you would need to wear a jacket many summer nights. Never sweaty
Yeah I was more referring to this coming weekend. I saw 94, 97, 95, etc.
I mean… hot is hot. 97 might not feel AS bad as, say, Orlando at 95 with high humidity, but it’s still blazing hot.

I do agree that it cools down quite comfortably at nights — something that doesn’t happen in Florida.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:54 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Yeah I was more referring to this coming weekend. I saw 94, 97, 95, etc.
I mean… hot is hot. 97 might not feel AS bad as, say, Orlando at 95 with high humidity, but it’s still blazing hot.

I do agree that it cools down quite comfortably at nights — something that doesn’t happen in Florida.
Quite a bit of studies have been done on this. High humidity with heat is much worse. Your also more likely to pass from heat stroke. High humidity prevents sweat from evaporating, making humid heat more dangerous than dry heat.

Denver has much more pleasant summers, and most importantly it cools off at night. Having a larger Diurnal range allows summer months to be much more comfortable.

All things being equal 95 degrees in Denver is much more safe and pleasant than 95 degrees in the south.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:10 PM

For the record, I don’t have much opinion on Tampa vs Denver, as it really ends up just boiling down to climate and topography preferences… If one is an avid skier, clearly they might not enjoy Florida. Hiking in Florida also poses much more risks, both due to heat and wildlife, and is just not fun — no real elevation changes. Me, I grew up playing ice hockey in Canada — I can still do that in the Tampa area, while also enjoying the aquatic activities it offers year round.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
1. For all of the hate that FL cities get during the summer months, it's really not that bad... I'm currently in Charlotte, where today's high is 102 degrees... And that's after a massive thunderstorm that went on from 8AM till 11AM this morning. Talk about humidity? It is FAR worse than the ~90 degrees with a nice gulf breeze that I left from my Tampa Bay area home yesterday.

Also, just glanced at Denver weather... Mid to high 90s... Doesn't sound much better than coastal Florida. Difference is the summer doesn't last as long, but it still gets HOT.

2. Opinions. Can't beat waking up and biking to the beach, enjoying a beer at a pub off the causeway, or heck, even just the scenery driving over the Skyway Bridge. Also, boats, jetskis, kayaking, snorkeling, literally swimming with wild dolphins, year round... I'll take that over mountains ANY day.

3. State is quite purple. Tampa Bay area is mostly blue.
Mid to high 90s in Denver is kind of a joke, the locals think its hot but its nothing without the humidity. Plus it's 61 degrees right now, was just sitting by the fire having a beer.

The thing with the recreational activities is you can still boat, jetski, kayak, paddle board, etc in Colorado. But with the addition of one of the worlds most famous ranges right there. Also there's tons of winter sports and activities. Tampa seems to only offer water sports as far as recreation in natural areas, the mountains can offer some water sports and much more.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Mid to high 90s in Denver is kind of a joke, the locals think its hot but its nothing without the humidity. Plus it's 61 degrees right now, was just sitting by the fire having a beer.

The thing with the recreational activities is you can still boat, jetski, kayak, paddle board, etc in Colorado. But with the addition of one of the worlds most famous ranges right there. Also there's tons of winter sports and activities. Tampa seems to only offer water sports as far as recreation in natural areas, the mountains can offer some water sports and much more.
I'm aware. I grew up in Canada. I still play ice hockey. I did all of the winter activities. And yes, we could do the water stuff also up there, but for a very limited time, and quite frankly, in no way did any of it compare to the aquatic amenities in Florida... Cold springs, crystal clear beaches, shelling, coral reefs... If one is a watersports lover, Tampa Bay area is a no brainer. It's year round.

Curious... How different is mid-90s in Denver vs, say, Montreal or Toronto? 80s in Montreal feels BLAZING hot to me, and 90s is incredibly uncomfortable. The cool weather at night is amazing, but that midday heat up there... It's no better than anything in coastal (keep in mind, I bring up coastal, because it is wildly different from inland -- inland, aka Orlando, Gainseville, Lakeland, is MISERABLE during the summer) Florida.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I'm aware. I grew up in Canada. I still play ice hockey. I did all of the winter activities. And yes, we could do the water stuff also up there, but for a very limited time, and quite frankly, in no way did any of it compare to the aquatic amenities in Florida... Cold springs, crystal clear beaches, shelling, coral reefs... If one is a watersports lover, Tampa Bay area is a no brainer. It's year round.

Curious... How different is mid-90s in Denver vs, say, Montreal or Toronto? 80s in Montreal feels BLAZING hot to me, and 90s is incredibly uncomfortable. The cool weather at night is amazing, but that midday heat up there... It's no better than anything in coastal (keep in mind, I bring up coastal, because it is wildly different from inland -- inland, aka Orlando, Gainseville, Lakeland, is MISERABLE during the summer) Florida.
I've only been to Vancouver in the summer, so I have no idea. But I do know it's a little humid up there. The sun is stronger here but it's also very dry.
I also grew up in Louisiana so I was very accustomed to 90+ at 90+% humidity. If it cools down at night, it's not a hot climate in my opinion.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:50 AM

25 posts, read 21,687 times
Water is too cold in Denver for it to be fun. There's a reason why there are more jet skiers in Palm Beach than in Seattle.

Arcenal painted a great picture. Having a beer outside at 90 degrees still beats having a beer outside at 30 degrees. Now, once we factor in ski lodge drinking after a long day......

Old 06-16-2022, 09:16 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
This is like saying, do you prefer living by the mountains or the beach. I like both for different reasons, obviously. Probably would prefer Tampa (and FL in general) from a political stand-point (fewer restrictions). I would guess that Denver is probably more expensive overall, though Tampa's increased popularity has definitely made the surrounding area less affordable in the past few years. My guess is that Tampa's infrastructure isn't where Denver's is. I'd probably pick Tampa overall but I do love a good city next to the mountains - skiing would be loads of fun in the winter.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Morris View Post
Water is too cold in Denver for it to be fun. There's a reason why there are more jet skiers in Palm Beach than in Seattle.

Arcenal painted a great picture. Having a beer outside at 90 degrees still beats having a beer outside at 30 degrees. Now, once we factor in ski lodge drinking after a long day......
30 degrees isn't particularly the norm for a winter day. You could be easily having a beer outside at 60 degrees in the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
This is like saying, do you prefer living by the mountains or the beach. I like both for different reasons, obviously. Probably would prefer Tampa (and FL in general) from a political stand-point (fewer restrictions). I would guess that Denver is probably more expensive overall, though Tampa's increased popularity has definitely made the surrounding area less affordable in the past few years. My guess is that Tampa's infrastructure isn't where Denver's is. I'd probably pick Tampa overall but I do love a good city next to the mountains - skiing would be loads of fun in the winter.
I don't think the mountains or beaches have to play a role at all. Plenty of people, probably the majority of citizens in either city don't frequent the mountains or beach more than once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City