Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities comes out on top?
Tampa 39 45.35%
Denver 47 54.65%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 05:26 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,949,479 times

Advertisements

Based upon this years NHL Stanley Cup Finals, here's another pair of cities that hasn't quite had a formal comparison between the two besides just a random person contemplating between two choices regarding where to move to. The Tampa Bay area has been booming over the past couple decades with retirees and transplants, while Denver's been slowing down, making both cities and metros more comparable.

Architecture/housing stock:
Economy:
COL:
Climate:
Scenery:
Sports:
Arts/Culture:
Parks:
Museums:
Shopping:
Dining:
Crime:
Education:
Urban cores (include St. Petersburg to make this a fair comparison):
Suburbs:
Traffic:
Transit:
Where Would You Rather Visit:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 08:26 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Both are great, but I’d lean Tampa on most things and overall.

Architecture/housing stock: Denver
Economy: Tampa
COL: Tampa
Climate: Denver
Scenery: Denver
Sports: Denver
Arts/Culture: Tampa
Parks: Denver
Museums: Tampa (mostly due to St. Pete)
Shopping: Tampa
Dining: Denver
Crime: Denver?
Education: Denver?
Urban cores (include St. Petersburg to make this a fair comparison): St. Pete (I wasn’t too impressed with downtown Denver)
Suburbs: Denver
Traffic: Denver
Transit: Denver
Where Would You Rather Live: Tampa, mostly due to lower taxes, less drugs and wokism. Denver is great too though. If I lived there it would probably be in the Cherry Creek area which is quite a bit more than comparable areas in Tampa, but I’m sure I’d enjoy living there.
Where Would You Rather Visit: Tampa, assuming St. Pete / Clearwater counts then I’d take Tampa for a vacation over Denver.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:23 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post

Urban cores (include St. Petersburg to make this a fair comparison): St. Pete (I wasn’t too impressed with downtown Denver)
Where Would You Rather Live: Tampa, mostly due to lower taxes, less drugs and wokism. Denver is great too though. If I lived there it would probably be in the Cherry Creek area which is quite a bit more than comparable areas in Tampa, but I’m sure I’d enjoy living there.
Where Would You Rather Visit: Tampa, assuming St. Pete / Clearwater counts then I’d take Tampa for a vacation over Denver.
I'm not sure why you're getting Tampa the edge for economy. Denver as a regional hub should have a much better white collar job market.

I happen to know a Russian immigrant in the Denver area who's thinking of moving to Tampa. The reasons cited are 1. better water sports and opportunity for saltwater fishing and 2. preference for more humidity in the air.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Beaches > Mountains

Old 06-12-2022, 06:17 PM

402 posts, read 369,244 times
Tampa

Old 06-12-2022, 06:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'm not sure why you're getting Tampa the edge for economy. Denver as a regional hub should have a much better white collar job market.

I happen to know a Russian immigrant in the Denver area who's thinking of moving to Tampa. The reasons cited are 1. better water sports and opportunity for saltwater fishing and 2. preference for more humidity in the air.
There’s a difference between hotter and bigger. Denver is a bigger, more established job market. Tampa is hotter and growing faster.

It’s the same as the NYC/Cali vs Texas arguments.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:13 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post

Denver's dining is awful. We're so far inland, short growing seasons, lack of a real identity. Even the cultist that perpetuate the Denver mythos complain about the food here.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Denver's dining is awful. We're so far inland, short growing seasons, lack of a real identity. Even the cultist that perpetuate the Denver mythos complain about the food here.
Being inland doesn't matter as much as it did 40 years ago. Fresh food can be overnighted from anywhere in the world.

The Mexican food is still good though, real Mexican food, not the uppity restaurants downtown or in Boulder.

Old 06-13-2022, 10:31 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Slight edge to Tampa IMO. Some of this does depend on whether or not water or mountains is more important to you.

Old 06-13-2022, 10:43 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Based upon this years NHL Stanley Cup Finals, here's another pair of cities that hasn't quite had a formal comparison between the two besides just a random person contemplating between two choices regarding where to move to. The Tampa Bay area has been booming over the past couple decades with retirees and transplants, while Denver's been slowing down, making both cities and metros more comparable.
Economy: Denver
Arts/Culture: don't care
Parks: not sure
Museums: again, don't care
Shopping: really really don't care
Dining: tie
Crime: Denver
Education: don't know
Urban cores (include St. Petersburg to make this a fair comparison): Denvrr
Traffic: traffic sucks everywhere
Where Would You Rather Live: Denver
Where Would You Rather Visit: Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City