Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities comes out on top?
Tampa 39 45.35%
Denver 47 54.65%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 12:32 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times

Advertisements

I think about this comparison and I kind of have to laugh. For me, I strongly prefer a cooler climate to a warmer one. I strongly prefer mountains to beaches. So you'd think that Denver would be a slam dunk, right? But it isn't. Not any more. If you had asked this question even as recently as 10 years ago, it wouldn't have even been a contest. But from where I sit, Denver is getting worse, and Tampa is getting better. So, I'm going to shock myself by saying Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 02:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think about this comparison and I kind of have to laugh. For me, I strongly prefer a cooler climate to a warmer one. I strongly prefer mountains to beaches. So you'd think that Denver would be a slam dunk, right? But it isn't. Not any more. If you had asked this question even as recently as 10 years ago, it wouldn't have even been a contest. But from where I sit, Denver is getting worse, and Tampa is getting better. So, I'm going to shock myself by saying Tampa.
How do you figure Denvers getting worse and Tampa is getting better?

Old 06-18-2022, 08:36 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How do you figure Denvers getting worse and Tampa is getting better?
Denver has been experiencing a steady increase in crime, homelessness, and drug usage. I saw the pictures of what those cretins did to the State House during the BLM "peaceful protests." It seems to have become an epicenter of the stoner pothead culture. As more and more Californians move there, bringing their political and social views with them, we see an increasing disregard for following the law. And they drive the housing prices way up.

Tampa is seeing a steady revitalization of their downtown. Infrastructure, such as the I-275 causeway over Tampa Bay, is being improved and expanded. One might think that homelessness would be a major issue in a place with no winter to speak of, but if it's there, it's tucked away enough that I haven't noticed it.

I will say this, though: they both have great airports.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:49 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Quote:
Denver has been experiencing a steady increase in crime, homelessness, and drug usage. I saw the pictures of what those cretins did to the State House during the BLM "peaceful protests." It seems to have become an epicenter of the stoner pothead culture. As more and more Californians move there, bringing their political and social views with them, we see an increasing disregard for following the law. And they drive the housing prices way up.

Tampa is seeing a steady revitalization of their downtown. Infrastructure, such as the I-275 causeway over Tampa Bay, is being improved and expanded. One might think that homelessness would be a major issue in a place with no winter to speak of, but if it's there, it's tucked away enough that I haven't noticed it.

I mostly agree with this. I don’t know that Denver has gotten worse (maybe it has), but I don’t think Colorado has kept pace with more business friendly states.

Regarding homelessness in Tampa Bay, it’s improved quite a bit actually. It used to be pretty bad in downtown St. Pete and that’s one reason the city didn’t take off sooner. Downtown Tampa used to have more homeless than they do now, but it’s never been very bad. I’m not sure what they did to fix the problem.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:05 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:

Tampa has one of the absolute best airports in the country!!! Just flew back into town two days ago, and that express pickup area is wonderful!

Old 06-19-2022, 02:27 PM

160 posts, read 103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I mostly agree with this. I don’t know that Denver has gotten worse (maybe it has), but I don’t think Colorado has kept pace with more business friendly states.

Regarding homelessness in Tampa Bay, it’s improved quite a bit actually. It used to be pretty bad in downtown St. Pete and that’s one reason the city didn’t take off sooner. Downtown Tampa used to have more homeless than they do now, but it’s never been very bad. I’m not sure what they did to fix the problem.
Colorado is one of the most business friendly states, has been for a while, ahead of Florida in fact by most measures. Look it up.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:03 PM

638 posts, read 348,077 times
Quote:

Colorado turning into California lite. Pretty soon theft will be legalized.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Tampa has one of the absolute best airports in the country!!! Just flew back into town two days ago, and that express pickup area is wonderful!
I agree. Tampa has really cleaned up its downtown. It is exciting to see Tampa receive some love from developers. Tampa's airport was one of the easiest to navigate and pick up bags I have ever seen. They also go above and beyond for those with disabilities and hidden disabilities.

Old 06-24-2022, 04:32 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Hmm, this is an interesting one. I'll admit that obviously, having lived in Tampa the past 6+ years, I know it much better than I know Denver, which I've only effectively spent one day in since 2006. I'll also be the first to admit that some of these criteria that I'm picking Denver for are fully subjective, and not necessarily shared by a majority of people. I'm also gonna try to be objective in that I get my opinions from data sources, rather than just going off feeling, etc.; at least for categories where that is doable.

Architecture/housing stock: Don't know enough to comment. I'm assuming Denver has more multi family? But that by itself doesn't make it better.

Economy: This is Denver based on any metrics I can find. Denver area was at $85K median household income vs. $59K for Tampa. Denver area has a lower poverty rate. Denver is several years younger in median age. It also seems to have a larger corporate presence/Fortune 500 within metro, and has a decently larger GDP.

COL: Tampa isn't all that cheap anymore either, but Tampa is cheaper than Denver. According to Zillow, Denver's median is $646K currently. By comparison, Tampa metro's current median is $375K. A huge jump, for sure, and a larger jump 36% vs. 23% for Denver over last year (insane!), but still a huge gap between the two. It's a shame, as Denver would be a city I would strongly consider, were it not so expensive.

Climate: I like Denver's better. Now, obviously, Denver gets quite hot at certain times in the summer too, but I get the sense that, at least for the most part (whether varying every few days or so), or cooling down in evenings and mornings, it doesn't stay that way as much. Obviously, I would have winters to contend with in Denver, but I get the sense that due to the sunnier weather overall during winter months, combined with modestly warmer daytime temps, that it wouldn't always be quite as intense a winter as we see back east.

Scenery: For my tastes, Denver. Denver isn't necessarily my favorite either, as it is somewhat semi-arid; that being said, I'm definitely more of a mountain than a beach person. There's just so much you can get to hiking, etc. wise from within a few hours of Denver. Really incredible.

Sports: Denver objectively speaking. You have all 5 Pro Sports present in the market compared with NFL/NHL/MLB for Tampa Bay. College Sports is a little trickier, Tampa does have USF right in town, but CU-Boulder by distance (30 minutes from Denver's downtown to campus/Folsom Field, one of the best settings in all of college football), is basically in the metro area, and is Pac 12/Power 5. You also have University of Denver which is tied with Michigan currently as the most successful college hockey program.

Arts/Culture: Honestly, without going too deep into it, because I don't know as much about Denver's, I would say the two are somewhat comparable here, with the caveat, that as an entire region inclusive of St Petersburg and Sarasota, I would say that Tampa Bay probably has more. It's hard for me to compare, because, I don't exactly know what to do with a more polycentric region vs. a single core that serves as a hub for state, and multiple states in either direction, for that matter, and because I truly just don't know enough about Denver's scene to comment intelligently. I can speak to Tampa area's though, and as said, I think Sarasota specifically might push Tampa over here.

Parks: Denver. Parks are one thing that I think Tampa could stand to focus more on. Sure, there are nature reserves, the beaches are IMO, pretty strongly maintained, and what St. Pete and now Tampa have done with their waterfronts is excellent. But, holistically: When I look up park and bike infrastructure in Denver, literally almost the entire map lights up green. This is further evidenced when I look at cycling ratings. Out of the 5 American cities which the League of American Cyclists has given a platinum rating too, two are basically in the wider Denver region: Boulder and Fort Collins. Numerous other Denver area cities get gold and silver ratings too. People For Bikes just came out with a city rankings system a few days ago. Denver ranked 127th out of 1105, and 22nd out of large cities. Tampa came in at 616th and 69th out of large cities.
I'm not meaning to pile on, on this one, but this just shows regional priorities, and, well, Colorado I think generally ranks as one of if not the fittest state out there, and it's kinda both ways for them. Just take a look at:
Tampa Parks Website
Denver Parks Website
It's a difference in priorities. It's apparent Denver prioritizes parks infra in a way Tampa simply doesn't at this point. I get the sense the Bay Area in general kinda coasts on beaches as the form of recreational infrastructure, and while I get those are nice for some.. more, much more, would be nice.
City Park, Denver

Museums: Again, this is one where I have limited expertise, and I think it can be difficult to compare a polycentric region to a singular core. Just Tampa would almost certainly lose to just Denver. But, Tampa is probably the tertiary, not primary or secondary, museum hub of the Bay Area. Sarasota and esp Saint Petersburg strengthen Tampa Bay's cause significantly.

Shopping: I'm not much of a shopper, but Denver and Tampa both appear to have enough mid and high end shopping to satisfy whatever I could want, and it doesn't look to be a meaningful distinction between them as they are both at comparable populations. Tampa again, probably has more spread through the whole area though I'm not 100% on that either.

Dining: I'm not even gonna begin to approach here. I'm sure both cities have some really good and celebrated dishes and ethnic cuisines, it's just that I can speak to Tampa Bay's, but other than perhaps knowing Chipotle originated there, Mexican/New Mexican, and assuming Denver might have a modestly better Asian food scene, while Tampa certainly has better Latin American overall, as well as seafood, and Greek, and perhaps Southern/Creole style, I'd be going somewhat blind. I'm sure I could eat very well in both.

Crime: Honestly in looking at the rates for the one primary city in Denver region and two in Tampa-it's relatively comparable, and not great, but not terrible. Just avoid the areas that aren't great and don't go looking for trouble, and you should be fine.

Education: Denver area appears more educated, but, there are good educational options in both regions and states.

Urban cores (include St. Petersburg to make this a fair comparison): Again, it's so hard to do that though, isn't it? I mean, St. Pete definitely does a number of things well as a downtown that Tampa just doesn't. But, it's hard again here to compare a polycentric region with what, in downtown Denver, is an unquestioned regional hub. Honestly, Denver core and adjoining neighborhoods felt bigger to me than anything there is in Tampa currently, but at the same time, there's a reason for that. I would say that Denver's urbanism where it happens is perhaps more vibrant and dense overall, but Tampa Bay has more urban nodes overall, and that is probably why. P.S.: As good as Denver's downtown core urbanism looks overall... that absolute parking crater south of downtown with Elitch Gardens, stadiums, and Metropolitan State University: Yikes!

Suburbs: Don't know enough to comment on Denver's. Tampa's vary widely-I like the Pinellas ones better than the Hillsborough ones.

Traffic: Honestly, neither are too bad, although I think Tampa might have a greater number of regular bottlenecks (beach traffic) than does Denver. That's avoidable though. Denver doesn't have an Orlando on the other side of it, so that probably helps the cause of driving out of the wider region.

Transit: Denver by miles, from everything I understand, and pretty much any metric or data point you could find.

Location: Ahh... you got me with this one lol. I think I might honestly say Tampa just because of how profoundly isolated Denver is to other major cities. At the same time though, it sure makes up for that though with the proximity it has to natural splendor, and from Denver, you could be in Chicago or Houston in 2-3 hours, but you could also be on the west coast in that amount of time flying. Food for thought. I've never lived out west before, so honestly, I really don't know what that would be like.

Where Would You Rather Live: Not sure. Family is in Tampa, and its not all bad, but for certain elements of my taste, I think there are places that would suit my interests and personality better. Denver does look like a pretty cool area to be sure... but its SOOO expensive.

Where Would You Rather Visit: For sure Denver lol. I live in Tampa now.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:00 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Being inland doesn't matter as much as it did 40 years ago. Fresh food can be overnighted from anywhere in the world.

The Mexican food is still good though, real Mexican food, not the uppity restaurants downtown or in Boulder.
It can be, but it isn't. Businesses aren't paying prices to overnight fresh seafood, produce, etc. And the Mexican food is awful. Smothering something in green chili doesn't make it good Mexican food. It's an inferior version of New Mexico's Mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City