Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 02:26 PM

444 posts, read 282,297 times

Advertisements

for those who aren't familiar with Vancouver, here are 2 great Vancouver drone videos

Vancouver

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 06:16 PM

1,037 posts, read 679,853 times
I'd be interested to understand why people think the quality of life is better in Vancouver.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:58 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Two cities I think are quite comparable. Where would you rather live? Our factors are
Quality of life: Boston for me
Weather: Vancouver because I don't like East Coast humidity.
Entertainment/things to do: Boston
Natural beauty: Vancouver
Education: Boston
Nightlife: I guess tied?
Better future: Boston is positioning itself quite nicely in various industries. Boston is a top high tech city, a top bio tech city, a top finance city, a major center of research and development, etc. which means Boston is at the forefront of the future.

Vancouver has it's pluses well, but not like Boston.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'd be interested to understand why people think the quality of life is better in Vancouver.
Vancouver is always rated as one of the top cities in the world as far as quality of life. I guess there are reasons for that and good for them, I picked Boston for this category tho.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:39 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Vancouver is always rated as one of the top cities in the world as far as quality of life. I guess there are reasons for that and good for them, I picked Boston for this category tho.
The reasons probably include, but are not limited to:

A. Canada
B. Natural surroundings / Location
C. Clean air
D. Low crime
E. Medical care

Boston is featured on most Global Indexes as well, including a spot on Mercer's QOL index trailing only the Bay Area.

The reality is, this is an International perspective on QoL. So criteria that either does not apply, or that some Americans don't care about, like transportation, walkability, etc. is not going to resonate with many. I'd guess more Americans believe there is a happy balance.... When they think of QoL, Raleigh probably comes to mind before San Francisco or Boston or NYC. And I get it.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:35 PM

141 posts, read 90,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
I feel like Vancouver is getting more Irish and less Chinese.
Im pretty sure Vancouver has more young, first-generation Irish immigrants than Boston.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:28 AM

676 posts, read 647,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The reasons probably include, but are not limited to:

A. Canada
B. Natural surroundings / Location
C. Clean air
D. Low crime
E. Medical care

Boston is featured on most Global Indexes as well, including a spot on Mercer's QOL index trailing only the Bay Area.

The reality is, this is an International perspective on QoL. So criteria that either does not apply, or that some Americans don't care about, like transportation, walkability, etc. is not going to resonate with many. I'd guess more Americans believe there is a happy balance.... When they think of QoL, Raleigh probably comes to mind before San Francisco or Boston or NYC. And I get it.
Somehow CoL is never factored in but it would be a continual feedback loop as high QoL cities almost invariably have very high CoL. You need much, much higher resources/capital to be happy in Vancouver than Boston.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:33 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
You need much, much higher resources/capital to be happy in Vancouver than Boston.
Funny enough, by every calculation i can find, downtown Boston is more expsensive than downtown Vancouver. As you extend out, Vancouver remains more expensive. That being said - car, childcare, healthcare, food, boose - all of it is more expensive in Boston.

But, the median income in Boston is significantly higher, and the local economy is probably 3-4x as strong. Which is why Boston, at least for CoL comparison, is far better.

I mean, Vancouver wouldn't even fall in the top 20 North American metros for GDP or median income. Amazing considering cost.

A beautiful city made of skeletons.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:53 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
vancouver

Old 07-03-2022, 09:41 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I think Vancouver is a bit less scenic, but has natural beauty in it’s own right. Boston has better nightlife, culture and history. Vancouver has much nicer weather. It’s a close toss up, I’d probably pick Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City