Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 07:29 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Fair enough, I guess. While nowhere near Vancouver, the Boston area is one of the most Asian in North America outside of the West Coast. And there are suburbs like Quincy (60% white, 30% Asian) or Lexington (63% white, 31% Asian), that would probably be up your alley.

White/Asian couples may actually be more common than white/black ones in the metro area. For obvious historical reasons, Asian immigrants have been much quicker to move into whiter suburbs in the metro area than black immigrants or black Americans moving out of the city.

Edited to add: the current mayor of Boston is an Asian woman married to a white man.
you gotta update those numbers. Quincy isnt that white. Its about 54% white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
When people talk about city character, they generally talk about the city core where the public life is, not about outer areas and suburbs. I had lived in central Boston for years before I ever saw a triple decker. Yes, triple deckers are a Massachusetts suburban or smaller city (like Worcester) thing, but that is not where public life of Boston is.
thats not really true. Public Life occurs in neighborhoods.

Most Bostonians dont really have the income to justify being downtown fo r"public life" lol.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
As someone in an interracial relationship with an Asian woman, I'd definitely feel more comfortable in Vancouver than in Boston. Based on demographics, I assume that interracial relationships in Boston are heavily White/Black, and White/Asian couples are not very common. So the level of acceptance and representation may not exist in Boston for WMAF compared to BMWF
Interracial relationships in Boston are mostly Black/Latino (afro-latino at that) or nothing at all. Some WMAF but less than youd expect. In general there arent many truly interracial relationships.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In the city of Boston, the percentage of Asians shrank since 1990..
Thats really inaccurate Geoff.

Boston was 5.3% Asian in 1990 it was 11.2% Asian in 2020.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:45 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I wouldn't call South Dorchester completely white at all or Milton. But the Neponset area right near Quincy si pretty white.

In general though Asians in Boston (proper) and Quincy are pretty low income tbh.
Isn’t that just because especially Quincy just doesn’t have many high income people at all?

Like Lexington, Newton and Andover are all over 15% Asian now.

I feel like the Asian popular pretty accurately reflects the general population outside of Boston proper where a lot are more or less refugees, and I think the poorest demographic in the city

Vancouver seems like an Asian Miami (where it’s very rich elites fleeing to North America) while Boston bound immigrants run the gauntlet from very poor to very rich

Although Vancouver is more extreme than Miami because Canada’s immigration system while prolific is also much more skills based so immigrants skew wealthier than they do in the US

Old 07-11-2022, 07:52 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah but basically every city is 90%+ cheap crap built for the working class. That’s true of like Paris, London, Philly, Chicago, etc. ever been to Croydon?

He is correct Boston’s civic architecture and nice neighborhoods are far and away superior to Vancouver’s. .

Distinguishing architecture by looking at Dorchester is like saying American and French culture is basically the same because they both sleep 8 hours a day and work 8ish hours a day.

Thank you for comprehending my post :-). I am not he but she, otherwise that was exactly my point. Working class areas can be nice (and are in fact nice in Vienna or in Swiss cities or in Singapore - maybe also in Vancouver? :-), and in such cases are sometimes interesting to visit for certain purposes (including architecturally important and immaculate/totally safe historic public housing in Vienna), but regrettably in all the cities you mentioned working class areas are infested with crime, trashed to various degrees, and therefore not worth either visiting or living there, if one can afford at all to live elsewhere. All working class housing (and public housing) is always built with the best of architectural and social intentions, but the class that occupies that housing in many (not all, with exceptions as above) countries has no appreciation for what it has or has been given, so those areas descend into misery in no time.

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-11-2022 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-11-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Isn’t that just because especially Quincy just doesn’t have many high income people at all?

Like Lexington, Newton and Andover are all over 15% Asian now.

I feel like the Asian popular pretty accurately reflects the general population outside of Boston proper where a lot are more or less refugees, and I think the poorest demographic in the city

Vancouver seems like an Asian Miami (where it’s very rich elites fleeing to North America) while Boston bound immigrants run the gauntlet from very poor to very rich
Yea for sure many Boston suburbs (true suburbs though, to the west) are substantially Asian now. I was just saying in the context of Quincy and Boston. The only visibly wealthy urban Asians are in Cambridge where they are transient students or North Brookline(established, long-term residents). But Brookline feels whiter than Cambridge (probably because it is).

I think your descriptions are accurate.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Thank you for comprehending my post :-). I am not he but she, otherwise that was exactly my point. Working class areas can be nice (and are in fact nice in Vienna or in Swiss cities or in Singapore - maybe also in Vancouver? :-), and in such cases are sometimes interesting to visit for certain purposes (including architecturally important and immaculate/totally safe historic public housing in Vienna), but regrettably in all the cities you mentioned working class areas are infested with crime, trashed to various degrees, and therefore not worth either visiting or living there, if one can afford at all to live elsewhere. All working class housing (and public housing) is always built with the best of architectural and socialintentionsn, but the class that occupies that housing in many (not all, with exceptions as above) countries has no appreciation for what it has or has been given, so those areas descend into misery in no time.
But you cant call it the "cityscape" if its only 5% of the city. I comprehend your post but its still not indicative fo what the "cityscape" in Boston is in general. It just isnt and we ALL understand that. Its the cityscape of the core area, which isnt reflective of the city as a whole socially, architecturally or demographically. Most of the city that is Triple decker isn't working class at all anymore.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:00 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I’d be impressed if I weren’t so horrified..

Why would you be impressed, and why are you horrified? I live in a 350 sq ft tiny studio condo in Back Bay, which I bought for myself when I was 40 (ie, 22 years ago), out of 17 years of savings from a low wage (I am retired now, and was not a low-income worker forever - I was good for about 20 years, but I was in training for many, many years prior to financial stability, and my wage while I was a grad student or trainee was either a stipend lower than minimum wage, or low, or on the lower end of moderate). I always lived frugally, did not have kids (could not afford them when I was young), do not own a car (have not owned it in 30 years, though I had been renting it when needed).

Why are you horrified by me not visiting Dorchester etc? I am not looking to buy drugs, so what would I be doing there?

Old 07-11-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Why would you be impressed, and why are you horrified? I live in a 350 sq ft tiny studio condo in Back Bay, which I bought for myself when I was 40 (ie, 22 years ago), out of 17 years of savings from a low wage (I am retired now, and was not a low-income worker, but was in training for many, many years, and my wage while I was a grad student or trainee was either a stipend lower than minimum wage, or low, or on the lower end of moderate). I always lived frugally, did not have kids (could not afford them when I was young), do not own a car (have not owned it in 30 years, though I had been renting it when needed).

Why are you horrified by me not visiting Dorchester etc? I am not looking to buy drugs, so what would I be doing there?
It's horrifying you would say that and that you can be in such a bubble seemingly making an effort to only be in a tiny part of the city and only around wealthy people. So much to learn and experience about Boston and its people and the fact that you've been able to avoid that is financially impressive and socially scary and not really a good thing. You're in Boston for 22 years and know very little about its neighborhoods and where the majority live- not really a badge of honor, in any city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City