Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 04:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I have lived in Boston for 30 years, have been to Jamaica Plain maybe about 5 times or less, to Dorchester twice in the year 2000/01, and never to Mattapan, Roslindale or East Boston (except to the airport). I seriously do not equate Boston with triple deckers :-).
I’d be impressed if I weren’t so horrified..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 07:08 PM

945 posts, read 563,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
What do you find comparable?
If one were to move from Boston to Vancouver, or vice versa, I think it would be a very easy transition.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:17 AM

817 posts, read 626,876 times
Both cities are expensive, I definitely prefer the climate, geographical location and racial demographics of Vancouver over Boston, but prefer the people of Boston for sure, more straightforward. Not a fan of the introverted "seattle freeze" type people that Vancouver has.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Both cities are expensive, I definitely prefer the climate, geographical location and racial demographics of Vancouver over Boston, but prefer the people of Boston for sure, more straightforward. Not a fan of the introverted "seattle freeze" type people that Vancouver has.
For clarity, are you saying that you really like Asians or that you don’t care for Black people and Latinos?

Either is kind of a weird flex, but I do think one is worse than the other.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:27 AM

817 posts, read 626,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
For clarity, are you saying that you really like Asians or that you don’t care for Black people and Latinos?

Either is kind of a weird flex, but I do think one is worse than the other.
As someone in an interracial relationship with an Asian woman, I'd definitely feel more comfortable in Vancouver than in Boston. Based on demographics, I assume that interracial relationships in Boston are heavily White/Black, and White/Asian couples are not very common. So the level of acceptance and representation may not exist in Boston for WMAF compared to BMWF

Old 07-10-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
As someone in an interracial relationship with an Asian woman, I'd definitely feel more comfortable in Vancouver than in Boston. Based on demographics, I assume that interracial relationships in Boston are heavily White/Black, and White/Asian couples are not very common. So the level of acceptance and representation may not exist in Boston for WMAF compared to BMWF
Fair enough, I guess. While nowhere near Vancouver, the Boston area is one of the most Asian in North America outside of the West Coast. And there are suburbs like Quincy (60% white, 30% Asian) or Lexington (63% white, 31% Asian), that would probably be up your alley.

White/Asian couples may actually be more common than white/black ones in the metro area. For obvious historical reasons, Asian immigrants have been much quicker to move into whiter suburbs in the metro area than black immigrants or black Americans moving out of the city.

Edited to add: the current mayor of Boston is an Asian woman married to a white man.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 07-10-2022 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-10-2022, 02:56 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
In a way i guess. However, Boston is a lot larger and has more diversity than Vancouver. Hard to compare Boston and Vancouver on that regard. I find Boston more global, and Vancouver more specified.. like Miami.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:22 PM

444 posts, read 282,423 times
A cool shot of Vancouver

Old 07-11-2022, 04:07 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Fair enough, I guess. While nowhere near Vancouver, the Boston area is one of the most Asian in North America outside of the West Coast. And there are suburbs like Quincy (60% white, 30% Asian) or Lexington (63% white, 31% Asian), that would probably be up your alley.

White/Asian couples may actually be more common than white/black ones in the metro area. For obvious historical reasons, Asian immigrants have been much quicker to move into whiter suburbs in the metro area than black immigrants or black Americans moving out of the city.

Edited to add: the current mayor of Boston is an Asian woman married to a white man.
I think it’s a stretch to represent Boston like that comparing against Vancouver. The Boston MSA as a whole is less than 10% Asian. In the city of Boston, the percentage of Asians shrank since 1990. My sister’s house in Vancouver, the houses on either side and one across the street were scraped off the lot were replaced with new premium houses with Chinese owners. Her block shift from 100% white to 50% Chinese in a decade or so. Her house as a teardown is worth more than $3 million so the people buying in are very wealthy. Those houses all have children. The children are Canadians attending local schools. You simply don’t have that in Boston.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:52 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
And we don't riot when we lose a major sports championship, we riot when we win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City