Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 01:29 PM

783 posts, read 694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
"Texas doesn't need two large cheap cities. (Dallas & Houston) Dallas could have been the cheap one and Houston could have been the nicer one". First, lol, no one in Texas is desirous of high coast coastal living. Second, why are you taking a dig at Dallas/FW?
I just think Dallas is bland. I'm ok with having a big cheap city. I just would rather have a nice large city in Texas rather than the second being so ugly. Those two cities are next on the list for being megacities in the states. Personally I don't think either one of them has the potential to be as nice as NY, LA or Chicago (Chicago is almsost 10 million). Now I don't think every city needs to be world class, but once again I would prefer if at least one of them tried.

Quote:
Seattle can't just will itself to attract people. Its got negatives of gray skies, high housing costs and distance from much of the North America population.
Seattle clearly has no problem with attracting people. If it had problems then it wouldn't be so ridiculously expensive. People obviously want to live there a lot and are willing to pay through the nose to live there. If only Seattle decided to become bigger they could lower their housing prices (increase supply) and become a greater city in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Albuquerque - This is an interesting city that has struggled compared to other cities in Southwest. The explosive growth of Phoenix and Vegas never really extended to ABQ, but New Mexico is certainly a beautiful place you’d think would attract more people.
This is a very good pick. Despite it being in the beautiful mountain west where virtually every city is desirable, it still lags. Personally I think they should copy the Santa Fe look and go all in on the Native American theme.

Last edited by Logicist027; 07-14-2022 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 01:51 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Seattle can't just will itself to attract people. Its got negatives of gray skies, high housing costs and distance from much of the North America population.
"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Pretty sure Seattle has no trouble attracting people despite the high housing costs: https://www.theurbanist.org/2022/06/...0-in-one-year/
Population grew 2.7% in the past year.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:20 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Pretty sure they do a bit. Like there’s a reason the Pats changed their name when they went to Foxboro, or Minnesota teams aren’t Minneapolis ones, Or the Islanders struggled in Brooklyn
This has nothing to do with my point.

Yes a location within any market can be good or bad.

Yes branding matters.

But fundamentally a team needs to be in a decent-sized population center, and how that's divided up into municipal units isn't relevant from a fan-demand standpoint.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:06 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
This is a very good pick. Despite it being in the beautiful mountain west where virtually every city is desirable, it still lags. Personally I think they should copy the Santa Fe look and go all in on the Native American theme.
LOL, what would Albuquerque do to look more like Santa Fe? Remake Central Ave into a Champs-Élysées of adobe inspired row homes? Albuquerque's charms are found in its mid-century kitsch. It doesn't aspire to copy anywhere else. Also the Rio Grande and the aquifers aren't enough for water resources to accommodate growth for a metro area the size of Phoenix.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-14-2022 at 05:41 PM..

Old 07-14-2022, 05:45 PM

783 posts, read 694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
LOL, what would Albuquerque do to look more like Santa Fe? Remake Central Ave into a Champs-Élysées of adobe row homes? Albuquerque's charms are found in its mid-century kitsch. It doesn't aspire to copy anywhere else. Also the Rio Grande and the aquifers aren't enough for water resources to accommodate growth for a metro area the size of Phoenix.
Seriously how old are you? You can't make a normal response without sounding like that?

Albuquerque clearly doesn't have the charm of it's much smaller brother. Santa Fe embraces it's Native American roots much more which fits with the region. There is no reason that Albuquerque can't do something similar.

Also if Phoenix could grow quite large with a much hotter region Albuquerque can do the same. Engineers can figure out a way to ration water in these areas, otherwise Tucson/Phoenix wouldn't exist as large as they are today. They have made choices to make it work and so could Albuquerque. The reason this isn't happening is because Albuquerque isn't as desirable as other western cities.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:30 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Seriously how old are you? You can't make a normal response without sounding like that?

Albuquerque clearly doesn't have the charm of it's much smaller brother. Santa Fe embraces it's Native American roots much more which fits with the region. There is no reason that Albuquerque can't do something similar.

Also if Phoenix could grow quite large with a much hotter region Albuquerque can do the same. Engineers can figure out a way to ration water in these areas, otherwise Tucson/Phoenix wouldn't exist as large as they are today. They have made choices to make it work and so could Albuquerque. The reason this isn't happening is because Albuquerque isn't as desirable as other western cities.
It's because Santa Fe's anti-business climate subdues Albuquerque as well as other New Mexico towns. It's the only state to use a Gross Receipts Tax, which is the worst kind of tax possible to businesses as services are taxed the same way products are. Just awful.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:36 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Detroit- this really should rank along Chicago, Philly, Boston as one of the urban old school northern cities.

DC- I know this seems like a joke or trolling. But, given its global prominence and extraordinary advantages as the capital of a major world power it really should be more developed than it is. The city has a so so city core, few if any Fortune 500 companies, a so so finance/VC sector, its media sector has never been able to break out of the political bureau realm. This is slowly changing, but compared to other international capital cities it is relatively underwhelming.

Hartford- Given its "costal" location between NYC and Boston it always surprised me that Connecticut didn't develop a major city. Thirty years ago it at least had a reputation as a city that punched above it's weight as an affluent center of insurance and industry. Now, I just don't hear about it. The MSA has stagnated and the city has pretty much missed out on the back to the city revival of the '00s/10s.

Last edited by jpdivola; 07-14-2022 at 07:57 PM..

Old 07-14-2022, 08:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I agree with most of what has already been said.

My choices are:

Memphis
St. Louis
Milwaukee
Birmingham
San Diego
San Jose
Jacksonville
Peoria
Fort Wayne
Louisville
Baltimore
Detroit
Duluth
Trenton
Albuquerque
Rochester
Toledo
Youngstown
Akron
Pittsburgh
Providence
Columbia
San Antonio
Corpus Christi
Norfolk

Old 07-14-2022, 08:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

DC- I know this seems like a joke or trolling. But, given its global prominence and extraordinary advantages as the capital of a major world power it really should be more developed than it is. The city has a so so city core, few if any Fortune 500 companies, a so so finance/VC sector, its media sector has never been able to break out of the political bureau realm. This is slowly changing, but compared to other international capital cities it is relatively underwhelming.

With a top 6 urban core in the United States, the last way I'd describe DC's core is "so-so".

Last edited by the resident09; 07-14-2022 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-14-2022, 09:22 PM

282 posts, read 216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Rochester diatribe aside, I’ll give these two cities to consider, rounding out my three picks.

Detroit - Obvious answer, but imagine if they had sorted out their issues and stopped the bleeding early on, diversified the economy, attracted young professionals back into the city, addressed poverty and crime. I can envision a scenario where Detroit becomes the Atlanta of the North. A bustling city known for Black wealth, deep culture, affluent suburbs and a modern logistics hub.

Albuquerque - This is an interesting city that has struggled compared to other cities in Southwest. The explosive growth of Phoenix and Vegas never really extended to ABQ, but New Mexico is certainly a beautiful place you’d think would attract more people.

Additionally since we sometimes discuss Canadian cities on this forum, I have always been puzzled by the small size of Halifax. We’re going back to colonial times with this one, but I’ve always felt historically Halifax should’ve developed as the Boston of Canada. It was such an important Atlantic port city well positioned in Nova Scotia compared to the further inland giants like Montreal and Toronto that grew into the powerhouses they became. Halifax missed its mark hundreds of years ago.
Apart from the last decade, Albuquerque has grown like a weed. Albuquerque in the 2000s grew by nearly 22 percent, which is a growth figure most metro areas nowadays would kill for and which is seen as astonishing growth in the current slow growth era of the U.S. as a whole.

Albuquerque has never had the extreme growth of many sunbelt areas, mostly due to the fact that we have seasons and can get quite cold here in the winter. It's the same reason Denver never grew as fast or to be as big as Phoenix.

I strongly believe Albuquerque is on the verge of seeing great growth again this decade. All the signs are there. We have mega projects and great job growth and announcements that will bring even more people here. Tons of stuff is being planned and built right now that will set us up for great growth in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City