Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 08:43 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times

Advertisements

People who put San Diego on this list are kinda insane. It's like some myopic city nerd thing (which I understand could describe a sizable constituency on this particular sub-forum), because quite frankly the only 'performance' a city has to deliver is to satisfy the folks that live there. Judging by how eager people are to live in San Diego and how many lists for QOL it tops, it seems like it does a pretty good job at that.

Last edited by Veritas Vincit; 07-15-2022 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 09:30 PM

282 posts, read 216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
My mistake I was looking at 1980 for Austin.

At that point it was 585,051 for Austin, 523,105 for ABQ, and 531,443 for Tuscon, so the point remains that these areas were very comparable.
It's fine, but it's also over 40 years ago that these areas were comparable. Lots has gone on in those years to cause Austin to catapult itself ahead. As I said, by 1990 it was already well ahead of Albuquerque and on its way to being the fastest growing large metro area in the U.S. as it is today. Every other large metro area fails and falls behind Austin in this way.

People also always like to try to say that Albuquerque and Phoenix were comparable in 1950, when that's not at all true. Phoenix (Maricopa County) had already well eclipsed Albuquerque (Bernalillo County) by the 1910s. In 1950 Phoenix was already more than two times bigger than Albuquerque.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bern...o#Demographics

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari...a#Demographics

Old 07-16-2022, 02:12 PM

783 posts, read 694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
People have mentioned ABQ but if you think about it Tuscon is even more disappointing. I've always found it interesting how much Austin blew past Tuscon and ABQ. In 1990 those three metros were all about equal and in fact Tucson was the largest of them. All three have flagship universities, renown quirky art scenes, good access to nature, and some history in the tech space.
Now when I visited, I actually liked this city. I thought it had more southwest charm than Phoenix. Yes it isn't growing as much as other cities in the west though. Personally I could use the excuse that it's too hot, but apparently that isn't stopping people from moving to Phoenix. So yeah it's probably underperfroming.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:36 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I agree with you...Philadelphia is probably the best food city of the three from top to bottom, but I only brought it into the thread as others were bringing DC into the thread as if DC's core is so much of a "miss", then why not point out what's not "missing" compared to the others.

I totally understand that there isn't a city wide huge gap between the three East Coast big cities that aren't named NYC. And that even with DC as a national capital, most certainly wouldn't think it or any of Philadelphia or Boston would be relevant in a thread about the top 3 cities that were a "big miss". Doesn't make much of any sense regarding those 3 Northeast corridor cities. They each have their own shortcomings, but none of them are really misses at all.
Agreed. The few that mentioned DC, Philadelphia, and Chicago as misses are out of their minds, or just trolling (IMO).

Old 07-17-2022, 03:01 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Just flew back from Charlotte two days ago. It hasn't changed much in those respects since 2019, unfortunately.
That's too bad. Charlotte lacks a lot compared to other peer downtowns. I think it is changing, but it is a slow process.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:37 AM

718 posts, read 492,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That's too bad. Charlotte lacks a lot compared to other peer downtowns. I think it is changing, but it is a slow process.
Like what?

There are tons of restaurants, bars, clubs, and lounges. There are grocery stores, museums, sports complexes, transportation centers and light rail. It is home to Major league sports and college championships and major games. There are over 20,000 residents living in the center city. It is dense and walkable. Charlotte's uptown does very well compared to its peers and cities in other tiers as well.

The only thing possibly lacking is more shopping....

Old 07-18-2022, 12:21 PM

718 posts, read 492,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Seattle - Wanted so badly to love this city. I had a romance in my head due to the city's past with music, counterculture, movies/media, etc. But downtown Seattle was disgusting. Complete lawlessness. Junkies were, no exaggeration, in the middle of the street shooting heroin. Junkie zombies were shuffling around all over. There were bodies sprawled out over the sidewalk either dead or passed out. The massive tent encampment around Pioneer Square was insane. I'd say Seattle misses the mark alright. Lots of potential with its history, natural beauty, and economy but just yikes.

Portland - See Seattle.

Charlotte - A city with ~900k people and the skyline of a city 2X that. And yet, downtown on the street level is SO sterile and so bland and so boring. There are 0 quaint, historic districts. There are 0 architecturally interesting buildings. That was all torn down to make way for faceless bank towers, luxury condos or apartments and parking decks. Surprising lack of street level retail. This opinion is based on my last visit to Charlotte in November 2019, so just before the pandemic. I have another visit planned for late summer.
I'm not sure u visited the Charlotte that I live in. While the retail can be improved, There are tons of restaurants, bars, and lounges on the bottom of all of those buildings. There are grocery stores, museums, sports complexes, performing arts centers, etc..there is light rail and street cars and alot of activity...and there is also the Overstreet mall which connects to all the skyscrapers Uptown which have restaurants and retail inside of it along with EpiCenter....

Old 07-18-2022, 12:25 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Houston - This place didn't need to be so ugly. It would have been great had this place developed in a much better way. Imagine if they had kept the bayous as parks and they didn't develop so much on the floodplains. This place could be a warm weather nice city close by the coast. It could have still grown to be a large size, but much more loved if it was developed differently. Texas doesn't need two large cheap cities. (Dallas & Houston) Dallas could have been the cheap one and Houston could have been the nicer one.
I agree there's no good reason for it to be so poorly planned. Although for what it offers I think it would serve as well being a smaller city around the size of Orlando or Minneapolis. As of 2022 it's kind of a larger city than I think it should be and punches below its weight in several categories. Dallas isn't coastal and may be more bland, but I think its centralized location justifies it being a larger metro

Old 07-18-2022, 06:53 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
I absolutely hate when people walk 2 or 3 blocks of the financial district and pass judgment based upon their experience. That's just lazy.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:23 PM

210 posts, read 199,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I'm not sure u visited the Charlotte that I live in. While the retail can be improved, There are tons of restaurants, bars, and lounges on the bottom of all of those buildings. There are grocery stores, museums, sports complexes, performing arts centers, etc..there is light rail and street cars and alot of activity...and there is also the Overstreet mall which connects to all the skyscrapers Uptown which have restaurants and retail inside of it along with EpiCenter....
The light rail is fairly undeveloped for how fast the city is growing and the infrastructure is suffering as well. So many outrageously expensive apartments are going up while wages stagnant. CLT will be a homelessness capital of the east coast in the next decade or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City