Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 07:09 AM

186 posts, read 283,150 times

Advertisements

This is hilarious. What's next? Toilet paper-making company offering their ranking of cities with best dining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 07:11 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Why? St. Louis was the first major Midwest city to implement a domestic partnership registry for same-sex couples in the 1990s. The city has long been a bastion of acceptance and inclusion when it comes to the LGBTQ community, and that is evident in pretty much every single popular neighborhood as well as in government policy (in spite of the increasing backwardness of MO state policy). The city must never be confused with the state; they are two very different places.
Your cross-state native agrees with your defense of the Gateway City.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:15 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crltn19 View Post
This is hilarious. What's next? Toilet paper-making company offering their ranking of cities with best dining?
Or what if a tire company did? Lmao

Old 07-22-2022, 07:25 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
10 points for Gryffindor

Old 07-22-2022, 07:30 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I'm kind of wondering if San Francisco has priced themselves out of #1 and it's living on a 30 year old reputation? The South End of Boston was a very high gay density in 1985. Real estate prices are now so absurd that it's priced out residents and businesses.

I figure that's happened in an awful lot of progressive places. The vibrant vibe means everyone wants to live there so it gets expensive.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:42 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
No, it makes total sense that a tire company (Michelin) or an oil company (Mobil) would publish books encouraging people to drive to nice hotels, restaurants, and resorts. But why would a lawn care company want to publish which cities are best for LGBTQ people unless it's just a gimmick to get people to visit their website and get their company name out there. And it seems their ploy worked.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:13 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
I don't know about this... The fact that Boston is ranked higher than NYC, DC, and Philly loses credibility with me. Just this year, Boston's pride was cancelled, the committee dissolved due to lack of diversity and inclusion, and Boston is the city that organized a "straight pride" not too long ago...

This ranking appears to take simple stats (for example, # of same sex households) and then prematurely equate those to "most LGBT friendly cities".

In New York's defense, gay people travel far and wide to reside in NYC due to the variety of culture, acceptance, diversity, etc. New York is one of the few American cities where an LGBTQIA+ person can truly be themselves and experience life how they want to experience it.

* And I'm not saying other cities don't offer accepting lifestyles, but it's almost offensive to see some cities on that list ranked so high.

Also, I did some searching about this company, the ranking basically holds the same weight as the bogus WalletHub rankings.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:13 AM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Why? St. Louis was the first major Midwest city to implement a domestic partnership registry for same-sex couples in the 1990s. The city has long been a bastion of acceptance and inclusion when it comes to the LGBTQ community, and that is evident in pretty much every single popular neighborhood as well as in government policy (in spite of the increasing backwardness of MO state policy). The city must never be confused with the state; they are two very different places.
I guess it's because I grew up in Mpls knowing it to be very liberal and gay friendly. The city legalized gay marriage 2 years before the rest of the country. It even gets recognized by sites like this.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:28 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,654,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I have a hard time believing St. Louis is more LGBT friendly than Minneapolis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I guess it's because I grew up in Mpls knowing it to be very liberal and gay friendly. The city legalized gay marriage 2 years before the rest of the country. It even gets recognized by sites like this.
That’s great, I just don’t know why you’d assume St. Louis would be any less progressive on LGBTQ policy. Again, do not confuse the CITY of St. Louis with the state of Missouri
- they are not the same place. Remember- St. Louis elected Cori Bush to congress.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:31 AM

211 posts, read 136,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm kind of wondering if San Francisco has priced themselves out of #1 and it's living on a 30 year old reputation? The South End of Boston was a very high gay density in 1985. Real estate prices are now so absurd that it's priced out residents and businesses.

I figure that's happened in an awful lot of progressive places. The vibrant vibe means everyone wants to live there so it gets expensive.
Happens on the neighborhood level in larger cities, too - seems like it's part gentrification, and part gays spreading out to other neighborhoods/suburbs as acceptance has grown. But it's sad that as a result, Boystown and Greenwich Village are shells of their former selves (in terms of the gayness).

Does Hell's Kitchen still feel solidly que*r?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City