Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 05:09 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I'm not knocking Pittsburgh, but I personally would never want to live there. My opinion is that it's too small, quite isolated, and the weather is poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Despite this bargain, it's still shrinking in population in both the city and metro area. Maybe not such a great bargain after all.
I mean I get that people don't want to live in a city like Pittsburgh (hence our continued population decline); however, it's hard for me to have any empathy for people either on here or on social media whining about housing affordability who are choosing to continue living within very expensive major metropolitan areas. I could barely afford groceries when I was living near DC, which is why I packed up and moved somewhere cheaper. No, a place like Cleveland or Pittsburgh or Toledo or St. Louis or Indianapolis or Omaha may not be "sexy", but if you can take a nominal pay cut and comfortably afford rent and/or homeownership in these cities then why not go for it and work to make these cities better? I am working hard to make Pittsburgh better, and I wish others would move to cities like mine, too, to help make them better.

It's just frustrating on social media to see someone in LA or NYC whine about gentrification or that they can't afford both rent and groceries and then get a "haha" or "LOLZ" react back at me when I suggest moving someplace cheaper like I did to have more financial breathing room. I realize this forum skews affluent, but a ton of people in this country are struggling right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 07:00 AM

471 posts, read 272,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I mean I get that people don't want to live in a city like Pittsburgh (hence our continued population decline); however, it's hard for me to have any empathy for people either on here or on social media whining about housing affordability who are choosing to continue living within very expensive major metropolitan areas. I could barely afford groceries when I was living near DC, which is why I packed up and moved somewhere cheaper. No, a place like Cleveland or Pittsburgh or Toledo or St. Louis or Indianapolis or Omaha may not be "sexy", but if you can take a nominal pay cut and comfortably afford rent and/or homeownership in these cities then why not go for it and work to make these cities better? I am working hard to make Pittsburgh better, and I wish others would move to cities like mine, too, to help make them better.

It's just frustrating on social media to see someone in LA or NYC whine about gentrification or that they can't afford both rent and groceries and then get a "haha" or "LOLZ" react back at me when I suggest moving someplace cheaper like I did to have more financial breathing room. I realize this forum skews affluent, but a ton of people in this country are struggling right now.
I agree with you for sure. I moved from DC proper to Philly, as I still wanted to live in a major city but somewhere cheaper - and it's also tough to beat Philly's proximity to NYC, Baltimore, and DC. Before DC I spent a couple years in Baltimore, and only left because of work.

Also, I'd still choose Pittsburgh over any of the examples you named besides perhaps Indianapolis. Some people choose LA and NYC to simply to say they live there, despite having numerous roommates, saving NOTHING, and not having nearly the quality of life they would somewhere else.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:08 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I agree with you for sure. I moved from DC proper to Philly, as I still wanted to live in a major city but somewhere cheaper - and it's also tough to beat Philly's proximity to NYC, Baltimore, and DC. Before DC I spent a couple years in Baltimore, and only left because of work.

Also, I'd still choose Pittsburgh over any of the examples you named besides perhaps Indianapolis. Some people choose LA and NYC to simply to say they live there, despite having numerous roommates, saving NOTHING, and not having nearly the quality of life they would somewhere else.
Your last paragraph brought back memories of a few poseurs I knew from Newport Beach, CA a few decades ago...3 guys, all in their early 30’s, would share a 2BR apartment just to boast they lived in Newport Beach….one of them even went as far as to change the model decal number on the back of his 10 year old Mercedes and push the car off to dates as being only 2 years old….oh how I miss such d-bags—NOT.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:03 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Meanwhile my mortgage in Pittsburgh is $380/month, yet nobody who whines they "can't afford housing" in the trendy/sexy cities will consider moving here. My fiance just had to take a leave of absence from work for two months to deal with a mental health crisis, and we survived very comfortably on just my lone income during that time. Tons of jobs here, too, but, alas, we aren't "sexy".
Just the other day, I was talking to my friends in the film industry in Philly and what cities that have consistent work. If it's not LA or New York, then it's surely Atlanta and next Chicago, then Albuquerque and New Orleans... nobody wants to relocate to Pittsburgh.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:41 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:

I don't disagree but it is surprising to me to see continued population declines in Pittsburgh and the metro area despite its substantial affordability. Other Sunbelt cities in Texas and Georgia are growing rapidly because of their relative affordability. Cities in the Texas Triangle are now actually more expensive than Pittsburgh.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:50 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Since I now work in the business sector, it's mainly all the Miami boosters who moved there from NY/SoCal that are moving back. Lots of the "tech migration" never happened and they're working remotely from elsewhere. People who have been in Miami for decades are leaving since it's becoming unbearably expensive, with their rents being increased between $1-$3K a month in one shot. Of course some stay within the MSA but others are going to Orlando, Tampa or Austin.

I was in Miami for business, lots of people I'm talking to are considering leaving because of how expensive it is, salaries are low and the honeymoon phase is over. Of course, I'm trying to get their business to move up here, so far it's looking more and more likely. Of course, the covid boom was insane and much more than what I witnessed when I lived there until 2017. But like everything Miami, it's still reliant on a boom/bust cycle and at the expense of long time locals.

As for other cities, I'm not familiar since I don't work or visit there frequently, but I do know people from SF are going to L.A in increasing numbers, people from Chicago/NYC thinking of Charlotte, Nashville is a city I always hear is good or other parts of Florida (Orlando, Tampa). But these things change on the fly, so every quarter is different.
Eh, TBH Austin isn't really cheaper than Miami, but I can understand the case for Orlando and Tampa.. ..and I agree that Miami is expensive but its definitely not the most expensive city in the country.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:22 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
It would take a very insecure narcissist to live somewhere for "image." I'd bet a dominant majority of people who move to expensive cities do it for job oppportunity, quality of life, adventure, or some other combo of reasons.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:08 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:

Its possible that people end up in expensive areas like Los Angeles or NYC because its just how their life turned out, and no other reason.

If you stay in mid-sized metros and things aren't going great for you, oh well, you get a big "sucks to be you buddy, its not what you know, its who you know!" You have to get out to change your fortunes.

Thats why a lot of people leave for bigger cities, not because they want to appear glamorous but because they were from a St Louis or Toledo and had nothing going for them there.

Also, most people just can't wave a magic wand and be set up with a job in Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Its going to mean starting over at the bottom of whatever pecking order.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:31 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I don't disagree but it is surprising to me to see continued population declines in Pittsburgh and the metro area despite its substantial affordability. Other Sunbelt cities in Texas and Georgia are growing rapidly because of their relative affordability. Cities in the Texas Triangle are now actually more expensive than Pittsburgh.
Keep in mind the major driver of population loss (and even then, for that metric, Pittsburgh/Allegheny County is MUCH better off than its surrounding suburbs) is natural decline. Pittsburgh has actually fared much better than it gets credit for relative to migration trends.

Who knows what the continued evolution of the remote work era will bring, as well? What's clear, though, is that we're bound to see much more migration to smaller, non-coastal metros in the coming years given recent unsustainable housing costs. We've reached a tipping point as a country and there's really no other option.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-27-2022 at 03:41 PM..

Old 07-27-2022, 06:51 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,228 times
Is Sacramento going to blow up? I’ve been calling it the next Austin, TX for a while now due to its incredible location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City