Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 11:50 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Hard to believe. Source? Metro Atlanta alone added 65k last year. The metro is just shy of the growth rate from 2010-2020. Most of Georgia’s metros have all seen population growth (Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Athens in particular).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demo...ia_(U.S._state)
Slowest rate since the 40s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 11:51 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Strange, because I hear a lot of anecdotal evidence of people moving from the latter to the former, due to high COL in San Diego. In fact it's the only one on the 'moving to' list that seems out of place. I suppose it will always be a dream city due to the great weather and vibe?

I mean I've certainly looked into relocating to SD from Denver, but it would be more expensive especially when you factor in CA taxes, and the salary in my field would not be much more (if any).
A lot of people in the Bay Area look longingly at SD for the lower cost of living and more laid back atmosphere. Unfortunately it does not have the same economy.

Surprised to see Denver on the "from" list though. I'm guessing it's simply a transient metro with a lot of in and out. In Texas it seems like Denver is always #1 on people's list of places they want to move...

Old 08-09-2022, 11:52 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Strange, because I hear a lot of anecdotal evidence of people moving from the latter to the former, due to high COL in San Diego. In fact it's the only one on the 'moving to' list that seems out of place. I suppose it will always be a dream city due to the great weather and vibe?

I mean I've certainly looked into relocating to SD from Denver, but it would be more expensive especially when you factor in CA taxes, and the salary in my field would not be much more (if any).

The ranking doesn't imply there's significant movement between all the cities listed. The report by Redfin itself states that the main source of people moving to San Diego is the L.A. area. The cause there isn't San Diego being low cost but L.A. being even more high cost.

While San Diego is typically pricier than say Phoenix or Dallas, it's also still on the Pacific coast with all of the advantages that come with that plus still within the wider Southern California orbit which helps people who want to stay close to family and friends.

I imagine that the remote/hybrid work boost also helps in the sense that if you got a remote job but they want you to come in for meetings and the like then driving up from San Diego a few times a month is probably more easily digested than coming in from out of state.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:59 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Still growing faster than most states. 2022 was a major uptick. Georgia will continue to be one of the fastest for the foreseeable future.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:38 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Still growing faster than most states. 2022 was a major uptick. Georgia will continue to be one of the fastest for the foreseeable future.
Yeah and I always find it funny how NC and GA have very similar populations and more/less are growing at/around the same rate lol.

But yeah the 2010s were a big slow down % wise

Old 08-09-2022, 03:55 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
These lists mean ca-ca without knowing net migration numbers. Sure people may want to move there but how many are leaving or want out? Florida in 2022 is a prime example as the growth numbers are a mirage.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:19 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Top Cities Homebuyers are seeking to leave, per Redfin:

1. San Francisco
2. Los Angeles
3. NYC
4. D.C.
5. Seattle
6. Boston
7. Detroit

Top Cities Homebuyers are seeking to move to:

1. Miami
2. Tampa
3. Phoenix
4. Sacramento
5. Las Vegas

https://apple.news/AwP0VaXp9TM2GGbTD6d9p1Q
Why only five cities listed for moving to while seven listed for moving from? I read this survey in the New York Times on August 4th (can't share it here because I've reached my limit of free articles.) Charleston is number six on the moving to list. It is actually a list based on what the writer calls serious searchers; that is, people who did at least 10 searches on a metro.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Why only five cities listed for moving to while seven listed for moving from? I read this survey in the New York Times on August 4th (can't share it here because I've reached my limit of free articles.) Charleston is number six on the moving to list. It is actually a list based on what the writer calls serious searchers; that is, people who did at least 10 searches on a metro.
Going Elsewhere
A study of home searches by Redfin users in the second quarter of this year shows the cities that have the greatest share of serious buyers from other metropolitan areas.

SHARE OF SEARCHES
FROM OTHER METROS
METRO AREA
67%
Cape Coral, Fla.
North Port, Fla.
Hartford, Conn.
Tampa, Fla.
Jacksonville, Fla.
Charleston, S.C.

No clue why this copy and paste went so awry, but in the article Charleston is beside the 6.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:30 AM

I went incognito. Here’s the NYT article from August 4th.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...ities.amp.html

Old 08-13-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I went incognito. Here’s the NYT article from August 4th.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...ities.amp.html
I just noticed that the NYT’s Redfin article I shared is for renters, not potential homebuyers. I guess you have to crawl before you walk in a tight, expensive housing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City