Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 07:44 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
My thoughts exactly, if i were moving to the East coast and had to choose between the two big cities in PA, Philly and Pittsburgh, I'd choose Philly without hesitation. Average 1 bedroom rent in Philly is only $300 more than Pittsburgh and you get a lot more of what an actual city has to offer along with that. I imagine Pittsburgh is better if you want to start a family or something.
Most people have families. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 07:52 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I mean I get that people don't want to live in a city like Pittsburgh (hence our continued population decline); however, it's hard for me to have any empathy for people either on here or on social media whining about housing affordability who are choosing to continue living within very expensive major metropolitan areas. I could barely afford groceries when I was living near DC, which is why I packed up and moved somewhere cheaper. No, a place like Cleveland or Pittsburgh or Toledo or St. Louis or Indianapolis or Omaha may not be "sexy", but if you can take a nominal pay cut and comfortably afford rent and/or homeownership in these cities then why not go for it and work to make these cities better? I am working hard to make Pittsburgh better, and I wish others would move to cities like mine, too, to help make them better.

It's just frustrating on social media to see someone in LA or NYC whine about gentrification or that they can't afford both rent and groceries and then get a "haha" or "LOLZ" react back at me when I suggest moving someplace cheaper like I did to have more financial breathing room. I realize this forum skews affluent, but a ton of people in this country are struggling right now.
You should count yourself lucky Pittsburgh isn't on their radar. They always come to these places and eventually ruin them when they no longer want to be paying rent to billionaires.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:45 AM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Expensive cities will always look bad in this topic. A lot of people move there for their 20s, then leave when they want to buy cheap houses.

Moving companies show the same thing. The 20-somethings often don't need trucks, but the same people will need them a decade later.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:11 PM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Most people have families. Just saying.
Depends on the age group, a significant portion of my generation (millennials) don't want kids, and then you have Gen Z who are often dubbed "the childfree generation".

Old 07-31-2022, 01:43 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Depends on the age group, a significant portion of my generation (millennials) don't want kids, and then you have Gen Z who are often dubbed "the childfree generation".
Because gen-Z covers like 15 year olds probably.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:45 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
The rust belt has yet to come up but in many cases are a great alternative to big cities.

St. Louis is one of the best values for those looking for a small big city. Moderate taxes, plenty of big city amenities and world class institutions. Super easy to live and get around in. The biggest issue is the Murder City branding that keeps people away. I don't think that is going away anytime soon even if the crime drops. St. Louis has to totally rebrand and sell itself as a livable big city.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:56 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
No Atlanta? Seriously? Other lists have us in the top 5.
Georgia just had its slowest decade of population growth since the 1940s.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:11 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Top Cities Homebuyers are seeking to leave, per Redfin:

1. San Francisco
2. Los Angeles
3. NYC
4. D.C.
5. Seattle
6. Boston
7. Detroit

https://apple.news/AwP0VaXp9TM2GGbTD6d9p1Q

People have been moving out of the city of Detroit since the 1950s. No news there.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:16 AM

211 posts, read 136,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyHighGuy View Post
The top 10 cities people have been looking to relocate from:
San Francisco
Los Angeles
New York
Washington D.C.
Seattle
Boston
Detroit
Denver
Chicago
Minneapolis

The top 10 cities people have been looking to relocate to:
Miami
Tampa
Phoenix
Sacramento
Las Vegas
Cape Coral
San Diego
North Port, FL
San Antonio
Dallas
Strange, because I hear a lot of anecdotal evidence of people moving from the latter to the former, due to high COL in San Diego. In fact it's the only one on the 'moving to' list that seems out of place. I suppose it will always be a dream city due to the great weather and vibe?

I mean I've certainly looked into relocating to SD from Denver, but it would be more expensive especially when you factor in CA taxes, and the salary in my field would not be much more (if any).

Old 08-09-2022, 11:34 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Georgia just had its slowest decade of population growth since the 1940s.
Hard to believe. Source? Metro Atlanta alone added 65k last year. The metro is just shy of the growth rate from 2010-2020. Most of Georgia’s metros have all seen population growth (Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Athens in particular).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City