Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more urban streetscape?
Houston 58 54.21%
Dallas 49 45.79%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 07:59 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Two large southern cities whose raw municipal density numbers probably don't tell the real story of how dense/urban they are.

Houston has the taller buildings, Dallas has the bigger interurban rail system.

Which has the more urban streetscape?
Neither.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:17 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
But ridership is the cornerstone of transit.

Public transit is not something to look at or just for bragging rights.

If the ridership is low, then how great a system is it? Both cities have rather crappy ridership but despite the zillion miles in north Texas Houston still does better on transit yet people say DFW has the superior system. To me that does not compute. At best they are even
I disagree to a certain extent.

If the reason for Houston's higher per capita numbers is because the system is better thought out, agree.

If the reason is that Dallasites are just averse to mass transit, then disagree and I think the system can be graded on its merits regardless of ridership. Where I live people cry about every little imperfection that our light rail has, to the point where its obvious that local attitudes drive ridership down more than any flaw in the system.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:47 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTX View Post
People will not come and businesses will suffer. Look no further than Fort Worth Sundance square an area known for foot traffic. Once they got rid of free parking the businesses around the square suffered and many of them had to relocate or went out of business. It’s not that simple. I mean what makes you think people would pay higher parking fees in Dallas or Houston, when Sundance square an area known for foot traffic has loss vistors and revenue due to not having free parking anymore.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfa...9-ba3e2059191a
That is a good point. I think people move to the sunbelt because they can easily drive their cars too. It’s a lifestyle they are looking for.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
I disagree to a certain extent.

If the reason for Houston's higher per capita numbers is because the system is better thought out, agree.

If the reason is that Dallasites are just averse to mass transit, then disagree and I think the system can be graded on its merits regardless of ridership. Where I live people cry about every little imperfection that our light rail has, to the point where its obvious that local attitudes drive ridership down more than any flaw in the system.

I agree with everything you said. But there is a big assumption here. For the argument to work it would mean that only Dallasites are averse to public transit. In my experience both cities are just as adverse to mass transit. So in two cities that are both averse to PT and yet the one with the better ridership numbers is being ranked lower than the one with lower ridership? Again it doesn't compute.

Houston has the edge in my opinion because it built a more urban system and it has more nodes of greater density. It is easier to use and get across the metro. People will bring up miles of rail and how it goes up and down and all around but how is the system functioning any better than Houston when a higher percentage of people in DFW are using cars? After building miles and miles of rail the percentage of people traveling by car instead of by public transit went up.

Don't get me wrong, most posters on here would jump for joy at their city building more rail. But if it's rail that isn't well implemented can we really claim it's a good system just because more miles were added?

Old 08-16-2022, 10:17 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
DFW is more decentralized than Houston and that makes transit less convenient and driving more convenient. At the end of the day neither city has much in the way of transit ridership so we're really splitting hairs. DFW has the better system if you live and work in the right places but not many do.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
DFW is more decentralized than Houston and that makes transit less convenient and driving more convenient. At the end of the day neither city has much in the way of transit ridership so we're really splitting hairs. DFW has the better system if you live and work in the right places but not many do.
I wouldn't say this. Houston Metrorail beats L.A., Portland, and San Diego in ridership per mile, its definitely made a name for itself in the south.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say this. Houston Metrorail beats L.A., Portland, and San Diego in ridership per mile, its definitely made a name for itself in the south.
Just looking at overall ridership, in Q1 of 2022 Houston had 168,000 daily transit users in a metro of 7.1 million. That's better than DFW but not much to right home about. San Diego had 178k and Portland had 148k in much smaller metros.

https://www.apta.com/research-techni...ership-report/

Old 08-17-2022, 06:57 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Just looking at overall ridership, in Q1 of 2022 Houston had 168,000 daily transit users in a metro of 7.1 million. That's better than DFW but not much to right home about. San Diego had 178k and Portland had 148k in much smaller metros.

We did mention that both are crappy. But if DFW has crappier numbers (however slight) how can people say it has a superior system? A more expensive system maybe? A fancier system? But it's it a better system if it is harder to use and has a lower ridership?

Old 08-17-2022, 08:59 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,022,267 times
Quote:

Have you ever lived in Houston? Used MetroRail?

I live in the city and use MetroRail. I have to give MetroRail credit. Yes, it’s not a lot of track but they are getting the biggest bang for the buck. The current rail lines service the following locations:

1. Two biggest employment centers: downtown Houston and Texas Medical Center
2. Major sporting venues: NRG Stadium (Super bowl host, World Cup host, NCAA Final Four, Houston Rodeo), Minute Maid Park (Houston Astros), PNC Stadium (Dynamo Soccer Stadium), TDECU Stadium (University of Houston Football)
3. Convention center / Discovery Green
4. Theater District
5. Hermann Park and Museum District

That’s why it has high ridership.

Where it lacks:
1. No service to Galleria/Uptown
2. No service to IAH
3. No service to Hobby
4. Not enough park and ride locations prior to arriving downtown

There is no doubt the connectivity created by MetroRail has allowed Houston to win hosting multiple Super Bowls and the World Cup. Houston benefits by having all these venues in a centralized location.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Smaller metros with 3X the amount of light rail.

I was referring to riders per mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City