Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more urban streetscape?
Houston 58 54.21%
Dallas 49 45.79%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 09:37 AM

869 posts, read 318,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Dallas doesn't have an outpost like Uptown Houston and certainlydoesn't have a TMC or Galveston.
There are similar outposts like Greenspoint, or Greenway Plaza.
Houston doesn't have a FW though. But Houston is like a Dallas plus Fort Worth plus Plano plus Irving plus ......

Agreed

Old 09-07-2022, 11:29 AM

860 posts, read 1,356,991 times
I stand corrected!! Central El Paso and Deep Ellum are nice, Galveston is a treasure.

Old 09-07-2022, 03:41 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Much more suburban is a huge stretch. Have you ever stepped foot in State Thomas? And do you really think the last example you used for Uptown (West Village) is an example of suburban layout?

Old 09-07-2022, 03:52 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,000 times
Dallas feels like one massive suburb and Houston feels like a city.

Both are very large by American standards but I voted Houston.

Old 09-07-2022, 04:59 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Much more suburban is a huge stretch. Have you ever stepped foot in State Thomas? And do you really think the last example you used for Uptown (West Village) is an example of suburban layout?
Yep, State-Thomas is a historic district. Much of what’s built there can only really be low rise dense development. But additional development is planned on McKinney fronting State-Thomas, where highrises are allowed. The Whole Foods on McKinney is directly behind State-Thomas.

The building labeled “Endeavor” (that’s circled) is planned to start soon. McKinney and Boll — its official name. The orange dot is Whole Foods.

Which has the more urban streetscape:  Houston or Dallas?-47fd6536-2183-4897-b368-9bc7f033ab63.jpeg

Aerial view from Google

Which has the more urban streetscape:  Houston or Dallas?-fb1f5755-123f-4a98-a8b6-3d9bf8d153f6.jpeg

This is the State-Thomas neighborhood in Uptown

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eGF8rYueR6FWkQUX6?g_st=ic

https://maps.app.goo.gl/roRgn5WXZGKKTXME9?g_st=ic

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pK9H32d9mw3zpWsY7?g_st=ic

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Am6hjjgUQGeoykwTA?g_st=ic

Last edited by Dallaz; 09-07-2022 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Correcting redundancy and grammar

Old 09-07-2022, 05:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
West Campus has a census tract with > 70k ppsm. The most dense in Uptown is about 30k, which is the baseline in West Campus. I don't think it is close.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:10 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
West Campus has a census tract with > 70k ppsm. The most dense in Uptown is about 30k, which is the baseline in West Campus. I don't think it is close.
I meant the layout not necessarily the density.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:00 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Having a huge college campus right there is definitely going affect the density.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:44 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
............+1 Again!!!!...........I'm pleasantly confused Redlionjr.....You don't have to answer this but have you always viewed things like this for Dallas or is it because you've made a couple of recent trips to Dallas and took it in for what it is?...(Unbiasedly)......or is it something else?
I can honestly say I haven't always viewed things like this for Dallas but I do think Dallas has made more progressive strides in it's core when it comes to urban infrastructure than Houston is. I can remember going to Uptown over 12 years ago and it not even being close to what it is now. But I try to be as objective as possible. Its some things I like about Dallas over Houston and it's some things I like about Houston over Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Remind me again of why we are comparing Uptown Dallas to MIDtown Houston...instead of UPTOWN Houston??

Shouldn't Midtown be compared to Deep Ellum or the like?
Outside of both downtown's Midtown is probably the most urban neighborhood in the core of Houston so it's comparable in that sense. You definitely don't want to compare Uptown Houston to Uptown Dallas. Uptown Houston is more suburban in layout than anything.

I've walked Guadalupe St and the remainder of West Campus plenty of times before and I wouldn't say Uptown Dallas HAS A MUCH MORE SUBURBAN looking layout. I actually still prefer Uptown Dallas to West Campus. Btw, I don't think the first link and last link would best describe a suburban layout. I mean, West Campus has it's fair share of businesses with big suburban parking lots and intersections that aren't very pedestrian friendly. With that said OUTSIDE of a downtown West Campus and Uptown Dallas are probably the most urban areas. I'll say West Campus is more vibrant (the school helps). Uptown Dallas imo with the trolley and architecture gives me a more of a "traditional" urban experience in that sense. But West Campus has more of the authentic indie stores that Uptown Dallas doesn't. So hey if one prefers West Campus urbanity to Uptown more power to them. I think they're close enough to each other to fall into a category A or B.

Old 09-08-2022, 01:09 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Knox-Henderson area just north of Uptown

Specifically, this is Knox St. This area has been going vertical with the completion of Weir’s Plaza earlier this year.

Weir’s Plaza : https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business...2927207/?amp=1

Cole Ave @ 1:11 going south into Uptown

McKinney Ave @ 2:31 going north from Uptown

You can kinda see Weir’s Plaza at the end of the street @ 3:10

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48Q7Lk...ature=youtu.be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City