Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more urban streetscape?
Houston 58 54.21%
Dallas 49 45.79%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 06:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Patently false : 304 Gray St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/pvQyk23uCBxG4BhQ6

2533 Times Blvd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fJGEgq7u88UfNvS96

That's just "look at me, I'm Dallas and I have a big head " Talk.
I don't live in Dallas, but spent 30 years in Houston, so OK.

Times Blvd is like a street in Preston Center, which is very a very similar type of development as Rice Village. The "walkable" part of West Gray is only about 2 blocks long, and maybe looks like parts of McKinney, but nothing like Bishop Arts area, which is decades older.

I know Houston much better than Dallas, though.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:04 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,022,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I don't live in Dallas, but spent 30 years in Houston, so OK.

Times Blvd is like a street in Preston Center, which is very a very similar type of development as Rice Village. The "walkable" part of West Gray is only about 2 blocks long, and maybe looks like parts of McKinney, but nothing like Bishop Arts area, which is decades older.

I know Houston much better than Dallas, though.
And you left Houston when? 4 or 5 years ago?

Change happens fast in the South!

Old 08-31-2022, 07:24 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
And you left Houston when? 4 or 5 years ago?

Change happens fast in the South!
Yeah, see how it went from there is not a single street in Houston that looks like this to ... well this one is older.
Just like they were saying a few pages back that there were no connected neighborhoods and then when you showed them a bunch of connected neighborhoods they changed it to more unique connected neighborhoods and assume that only the ones in Dallas were unique.

I think I would appreciate Dallas more if the posts were not always extra. I like that developers in Dallas think big. I like the ambition. But let the projects speak for themselves. I keep hearing there's nothing like Bishop Arts and when I posted links to Bishop Arts they said I didn't pick the street that they are basing the argument on.

I will give Dallas this though, in terms of entertainment, theirs tend to stay put. Houston, you visit and this is the it spot, then you come back and that spot is no longer in, another spot took over. Houston people are finicky.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:38 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Correct but the Strand is far more similar to French Quarter than Deep Ellum is. I’m not sure Deep Ellum is even the most French Quarter like neighborhood in the DFW area. Parts of Downtown Fort Worth would apply more to be a “Texas style” French Quarter than Deep ellum

This isn’t the first time Dallasboi tried comparing Deep Ellum to a neighborhood that’s nothing like it. In another thread he said it rivals the Vegas Strip.
...Actually, that was the Title of the clip that I posted....I didn't name it...The Youtuber did ....Go re-look at it.

....I accept your apology.

In fact,.... It was an interesting video...Here it is.

https://youtu.be/utt2VAPDNII

Last edited by dallasboi; 08-31-2022 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-01-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, see how it went from there is not a single street in Houston that looks like this to ... well this one is older.
Just like they were saying a few pages back that there were no connected neighborhoods and then when you showed them a bunch of connected neighborhoods they changed it to more unique connected neighborhoods and assume that only the ones in Dallas were unique.

I think I would appreciate Dallas more if the posts were not always extra. I like that developers in Dallas think big. I like the ambition. But let the projects speak for themselves. I keep hearing there's nothing like Bishop Arts and when I posted links to Bishop Arts they said I didn't pick the street that they are basing the argument on.

I will give Dallas this though, in terms of entertainment, theirs tend to stay put. Houston, you visit and this is the it spot, then you come back and that spot is no longer in, another spot took over. Houston people are finicky.
What does the post have to do with you liking Dallas?

That's just like saying "I love the new Cadillac CT4's...But since everyone brags on theirs so much I hate them now".

Old 09-01-2022, 10:29 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
What does the post have to do with you liking Dallas?

That's just like saying "I love the new Cadillac CT4's...But since everyone brags on theirs so much I hate them now".
I like Dallas almost as much as I love you babe.
I said I would APPRECIATE the city more if the projects were presented as" look what we developed" instead of look at this, it's the longest, biggest most bestest thing in the world; there's nothing else like this in all of Texas; those other cities can't keep up with us."

It's like that Popeyes Chicken Sandwich. They tested it out in a few places before it was released all over. When I first had it I thought it was a great Sandwich. After it was released and people kept going on and on about it, my opinion of it changed to is not all that.

Deep Ellum is a great asset for DFW, but when the narrative turns to its like the French Quarter's sibling of its like Vegas the brakes get slammed on.

I like the Trinity River Projects. It's going to be a net plus for the area. But I hope I don't start hearing that is going to be just like the Chicago Riverfront.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:42 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
I respect the poster of the video for not changing the name/deleting after the comment section

Old 09-01-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I respect the poster of the video for not changing the name/deleting after the comment section
Me too...Because fellow posters are not responsible for changing someone else's opinion....it's theirs.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:59 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
I told you go ahead and post the areas you were referring too. But those areas are typical of many spots in Houston. Heights, Rice Village, West U. I'm not sure why in Dallas there always an attitude of more than.
I actually wasn´t arguing that point. Just that it was odd using an example of a residential street to one filled mostly with businesses.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:22 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
He chose a random residential street in Bishop Arts to a business street in the Heights. Try Bishop St (https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7486...7i16384!8i8192) or Jefferson for Bishop Arts - North Oak Cliff (https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7431...7i16384!8i8192)
Thank you I noticed the convenience of that as well. Also the the view of a parking lot on the Cedar Springs Strip rather than the heart of it at CS and Throckmorton... https://goo.gl/maps/qUm74ZWdNMkyFijp6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City