Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more urban streetscape?
Houston 58 54.21%
Dallas 49 45.79%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 11:52 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Houston neighborhoods are so large that the cohesiveness can be lost....Huge neighborhoods typically have more room to have areas that are NOT developed or luring and could cause you to think you've left the neighborhood and you really haven't.

To me, this is the advantage Dallas has by having smaller more distinct core neighborhoods.
Each neighborhood is consistent with it's character and development throughout...and you can definitely tell when you have left one neighborhood and entered the next......AND...with them being smaller you can experience all of them quickly in a pedestrian fashion....However, if you do have to get in your car it would be for a really short time(if you decide not to walk)

In Houston, you'll be driving for 15 min in the same patchy urban neighborhood.....wondering if it's a different one before you actually leave it......And when you enter the next one you question if it's an extension of the last one because the difference is not as noticeable as they are in Dallas neighborhoods.
That was the point I was trying to make. No one is saying you drive for 15 mins and still be in the same neighborhood, but for those of us who don't live there, it does feel like a lot of the same scenery.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyj View Post
houston
I will give the Medical Center credit for it's density, but outside of downtown where are these urban streetscapes being referred to?

Old 08-28-2022, 01:31 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I will give the Medical Center credit for it's density, but outside of downtown where are these urban streetscapes being referred to?

Midtown, East downtown, Washington Ave/Heights area, Montrose, Museum District, the Almeda road strip to name a few.

You are talking like the differences are really that large and I disagree with dallasboi on the notion of being in the same neighborhood for 15 minutes. The only neighborhoods that I can kind of think that comes close to his claim are is Southpark and Sunnyside areas, but those are not considered by most as urban. But everything west of 288 and Third Ward and Eado are very Urban. Each neighborhood has its own identity.

Midtown, Eado, Third Ward, and soon to be 5th ward (once East River is complete) are all urban neighborhoods with their distinct urban feel.

Old 08-28-2022, 04:04 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Even Sunnyside and Southpark are not that big.

They both run from 610 to just passed Belfort (i think you are in South Acres by the time you get to Airport). That's what? 2 miles? There are not many lights on Cullen or MLK so you can go clear across either in under 5 minutes. Further, those were both post WWII burbs so like you said both are 101% car-oriented. But those are outside the inner loop neighborhoods. No one would include those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
That's dallasboi for ya, lol
I love him

Old 08-28-2022, 04:37 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
[quote=atadytic19;64044797]Even Sunnyside and Southpark are not that big.

They both run from 610 to just passed Belfort (i think you are in South Acres by the time you get to Airport). That's what? 2 miles? There are not many lights on Cullen or MLK so you can go clear across either in under 5 minutes. Further, those were both post WWII burbs so like you said both are 101% car-oriented. But those are outside the inner loop neighborhoods. No one would include those.

I love him[

...I love you more!!

Old 08-28-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Midtown, East downtown, Washington Ave/Heights area, Montrose, Museum District, the Almeda road strip to name a few.

You are talking like the differences are really that large and I disagree with dallasboi on the notion of being in the same neighborhood for 15 minutes. The only neighborhoods that I can kind of think that comes close to his claim are is Southpark and Sunnyside areas, but those are not considered by most as urban. But everything west of 288 and Third Ward and Eado are very Urban. Each neighborhood has its own identity.

Midtown, Eado, Third Ward, and soon to be 5th ward (once East River is complete) are all urban neighborhoods with their distinct urban feel.
So the question of the thread is which city has a more urban streetscape. People voting for Houston are saying those areas you listed have a more urban streetscape than the neighborhoods in Dallas?

Old 08-29-2022, 08:54 AM

869 posts, read 318,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
So the question of the thread is which city has a more urban streetscape. People voting for Houston are saying those areas you listed have a more urban streetscape than the neighborhoods in Dallas?

Yes, because they DO.

Dallas' streets are simply SLIGHTLY a bit more walkable. And I do mean SLIGHTLY.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:48 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Yes, because they DO.

Dallas' streets are simply SLIGHTLY a bit more walkable. And I do mean SLIGHTLY.
I went to each of those neighborhoods in Google maps just to see if my perceptions were outdated. Honestly, none of those neighborhoods have urban streetscapes at all. Which goes back to my original post in this thread (the answer is to OP "neither", this really doesn't exist in Texas).

But, I still think if I had to pick one of thes two cities it's Dallas. I don't see it at all in Houston.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:06 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,022,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I went to each of those neighborhoods in Google maps just to see if my perceptions were outdated. Honestly, none of those neighborhoods have urban streetscapes at all. Which goes back to my original post in this thread (the answer is to OP "neither", this really doesn't exist in Texas).

But, I still think if I had to pick one of thes two cities it's Dallas. I don't see it at all in Houston.
Google Maps does not do Houston justice. This out of state C-D poster said this recently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide:
Just Came From Houston Texas over the Weekend, Im Switching my Vote for Houston to IMPRESSIVE. The Thing is, Google and Wiki Are Not Kind to the Houston skyline. Houston Skyline comprise of Multiple Clusters. Google and Wiki Only Show The Downtown Cluster, Which by itself is not that impressive, But Being there in Person and seeing All the Clusters combined from Certain Angles, (Like the Expressway) Houston's entire skyline could give Miami a run for its money. But the Only Way to see its combined skyline is to be there in Person or do a Deep Google search or Youtube

*This Video does a somewhat decent job showing how vast Houston's skyline really is, if you include All of its Clusters
https://youtu.be/JUcIU9opU6I (Skip to 21:55)

Old 08-29-2022, 01:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Google Maps does not do Houston justice. This out of state C-D poster said this recently:
That post was about the skyline... This post is about "urban streetscape" which is a completely different topic. For an example of how these are unrelated, see Houston's third tallest tower here.

Anyway, I'm not unfamiliar with the city of Houston. I live in Austin and have been there many times; at one point I was going there almost weekly for work. Houston has an insane freeway system and massive skyscrapers all over the place. It does not have much in the way of urban streetscapes; nowhere in Texas does. Travel to New Orleans if you want to see what an urban streetscape looks like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City