Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more urban streetscape?
Houston 58 54.21%
Dallas 49 45.79%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 01:33 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Atadytic was comparing 19th street to Bishop Arts. 19th street does have that small town feel, complete with a converted movie theater.
He chose a random residential street in Bishop Arts to a business street in the Heights. Try Bishop St (https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7486...7i16384!8i8192) or Jefferson for Bishop Arts - North Oak Cliff (https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7431...7i16384!8i8192)

Old 08-31-2022, 02:00 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
He chose a random residential street in Bishop Arts to a business street in the Heights. Try Bishop St (https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7486...7i16384!8i8192) or Jefferson for Bishop Arts - North Oak Cliff (https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7431...7i16384!8i8192)
I told you go ahead and post the areas you were referring too. But those areas are typical of many spots in Houston. Heights, Rice Village, West U. I'm not sure why in Dallas there always an attitude of more than. Those inner ring neighborhoods in Dallas look just the same as many others in other cities. Only difference is these neighborhoods in Houston are larger and there more of them. This leads to a more cohesive streetscape.

The thing with Houston is the primary arterial roads are like highways. They are designed to ferry large numbers of vehicles across the city. So if you are visiting and going through you will think it's miles and miles of the same thing.

You have to get off of the major arterials and get on to Secondary and tertiary streets. You are not going to see the city from Westheimer or post oak. Those streets are just a wide and cast just as many people as highways. DFW has a grid also but it isn't as regular.

Many cities have that format. LA and New Orleans are built the same way. Only difference is LA's grid is more built up and New Orleans has a tighter grid.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:24 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
For Galveston perhaps the Strand area? Even then it still isn't really very French Quarter.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3076...7i16384!8i8192
Correct but the Strand is far more similar to French Quarter than Deep Ellum is. I’m not sure Deep Ellum is even the most French Quarter like neighborhood in the DFW area. Parts of Downtown Fort Worth would apply more to be a “Texas style” French Quarter than Deep ellum

This isn’t the first time Dallasboi tried comparing Deep Ellum to a neighborhood that’s nothing like it. In another thread he said it rivals the Vegas Strip.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:42 PM

42 posts, read 21,378 times
Looks like Dallas will finally be expanding towards the Trinity River. When it’s all said and done. Dallas skyline will one day spand continuous development from the Trinity River on one side all the way to the Southside on the other side.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/lo...3060698/?amp=1

Last edited by ProTX; 08-31-2022 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-31-2022, 04:24 PM

869 posts, read 318,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I told you go ahead and post the areas you were referring too. But those areas are typical of many spots in Houston. Heights, Rice Village, West U. I'm not sure why in Dallas there always an attitude of more than. Those inner ring neighborhoods in Dallas look just the same as many others in other cities. Only difference is these neighborhoods in Houston are larger and there more of them. This leads to a more cohesive streetscape.

The thing with Houston is the primary arterial roads are like highways. They are designed to ferry large numbers of vehicles across the city. So if you are visiting and going through you will think it's miles and miles of the same thing.

You have to get off of the major arterials and get on to Secondary and tertiary streets. You are not going to see the city from Westheimer or post oak. Those streets are just a wide and cast just as many people as highways. DFW has a grid also but it isn't as regular.

Many cities have that format. LA and New Orleans are built the same way. Only difference is LA's grid is more built up and New Orleans has a tighter grid.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again...Aww hell, I'm TIRED of saying it.

At least YOU get it

Old 08-31-2022, 04:47 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTX View Post
Looks like Dallas will finally be expanding towards the Trinity River. When it’s all said and done. Dallas skyline will one day spand continuous development from the Trinity River on one side all the way to the Southside on the other side.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/lo...3060698/?amp=1
I was hoping they’d do this. A couple of months back, the broke ground on a project like this in Houston along the Buffalo bayou

https://www.eastriverhtx.com/

Can’t wait to come back to this thread in 5 years when they roll out so we can see which one is better

Old 08-31-2022, 04:48 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Correct but the Strand is far more similar to French Quarter than Deep Ellum is. I’m not sure Deep Ellum is even the most French Quarter like neighborhood in the DFW area. Parts of Downtown Fort Worth would apply more to be a “Texas style” French Quarter than Deep ellum

This isn’t the first time Dallasboi tried comparing Deep Ellum to a neighborhood that’s nothing like it. In another thread he said it rivals the Vegas Strip.
I legit laughed out loud at this one.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I was hoping they’d do this. A couple of months back, the broke ground on a project like this in Houston along the Buffalo bayou

https://www.eastriverhtx.com/

Can’t wait to come back to this thread in 5 years when they roll out so we can see which one is better
I don't really see them being similar.
Maybe it's probably because I didn't get a visual image in my mind it how the levees will be developed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the image I get is that they are raising the levees and between the levees there will be parks (kinda like Buffalo Bayou Park or Eleanor Tinsley) then outside the levees they will be building up Riverfront street. My question is how will the interaction be between the park and the Riverfront development?

The rain I say they are different is East River isn't really extending downtown Houston to the water. It is redeveloping a huge piece of land near downtown that's right on the water (no levee).

That Trinity River project will be top notch if they do a double park system like in New Orleans. Well New Orleans the river is higher than the city so in New Orleans the double park system is in reverse.

What they did in New Orleans is they built a park between downtown and the Levee and then another right on top of it. Standing in Woldenburg park you don't realize you are on top of a levee until you descend into the lower park (Washington Artillery Park).

If they leave a massive levee between downtown Dallas and The park then the plan is not all that great. If they disguise the levee with another park then the two halves will be sown together and I would give it mad props.

Houston Downtown is already in the water. Literally. You can see that every time it rains lol.

Para whatever happened to the channel they were supposed to dig connecting White Oak Bayou to Buffalo Bayou. They were supposed to do a Riverwalk type development about 10 years. Houston's economy was booming back then, but since the energy slump I haven't heard anything about it.

Edit: found it. That downtown island plan sounds awesome The North Canal, a New Downtown Island, and Other Secret Plans for Downtown Houston’s Future | Swamplot

I really wish they would sell that Jail to UHD and have it developed into dorms or something.

Edit# 2: just noticed I45 and I69 are sunken and there's park connecting Downtown with East Downtown and Midtown. Awesome stuff. Are those still on also?

Old 08-31-2022, 06:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

There is not a single street in Houston that looks similar to those Bishop streets posted. Houston has very few street fronts of contiguous pedestrian accessible businesses built to the sidewalk. Houston's tend to be set back, gap toothed, strip centers, or have large parking lots. Dallas has lots of those too, but streets like Jefferson, McKinney, and Greenville really have no comparable equivalent in Houston. Deep Ellum has much more compact frontage than Washington Avenue.

Preston Center is similar to Rice Village, and neither is really an urban streetscape.

Neither city has much contiguous "urban" street front compared to many other cities, though, so overall they are still very close to each other.

Old 08-31-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
There is not a single street in Houston that looks similar to those Bishop streets posted. Houston has very few street fronts of contiguous pedestrian accessible businesses built to the sidewalk. Houston's tend to be set back, gap toothed, strip centers, or have large parking lots. Dallas has lots of those too, but streets like Jefferson, McKinney, and Greenville really have no comparable equivalent in Houston. Deep Ellum has much more compact frontage than Washington Avenue.

Preston Center is similar to Rice Village, and neither is really an urban streetscape.

Neither city has much contiguous "urban" street front compared to many other cities, though, so overall they are still very close to each other.
Patently false : 304 Gray St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/pvQyk23uCBxG4BhQ6

2533 Times Blvd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fJGEgq7u88UfNvS96

That's just "look at me, I'm Dallas and I have a big head " Talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City