Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more urban streetscape?
Houston 58 54.21%
Dallas 49 45.79%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 07:54 AM

869 posts, read 318,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Both metros have lackluster public transportation so the back and forth is not warranted not in the least bit.

Something that's been said in almost every comment I've posted. Soooo...your point?

On my end, I'm explaining WHY one is lackluster, despite the fact that it is seen as a Godsend by a lot of those who live in the area.

On boi's end, he keeps explaining why the other is lackluster, despite the fact that those who live in the area ALREADY KNOW THAT AND READILY ADMIT IT...it's as if he wants us to think MetroRail is great just so he can "tell us why it's not".

And what's it to you anyway? You don't want to see this, hop on another thread will ya?

Old 08-23-2022, 09:25 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Both metros have lackluster public transportation so the back and forth is not warranted not in the least bit.
I think the main difference is that DFW has a fairly decent system it just has a very decentralized layout that is completely incompatible with a transit-oriented lifestyle. Houston is more centralized and has higher ridership now and more hope to have very high ridership in the future, it just doesn't have great transit infrastructure at the moment. Houston does also have a higher poverty rate which means more transit users who have no other choice. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when D2 is complete (and Project Connect in Austin for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Here is my take:

Houston has the better bones for urban development but we lack the ambition to really start those projects that would truly capitalize on it.

Dallas doesn't have as good of bones for urban development but they are way more ambitious than we are. The result is that the most walkable/urban neighborhoods in Texas are in Dallas, but they had to force it really hard.

We could do so much, but Houston tends to be very lackadaisical about almost everything. Its a "let the chips fall where they may" kind of place. Ive also said Id much rather have DART than Metro. Id rather have the options of places to travel even if Im the only one on the train than a couple of lines that go very few places. Because of this, I actually voted Dallas on this poll.
I think Houston's lack of zoning means that you get a little bit of urbanity everywhere but consistent urbanity nowhere. Whether that's ultimately better or worse than the alternative is an interesting discussion.

Last edited by whereiend; 08-23-2022 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-23-2022, 11:43 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I think the main difference is that DFW has a fairly decent system it just has a very decentralized layout that is completely incompatible with a transit-oriented lifestyle. Houston is more centralized and has higher ridership now and more hope to have very high ridership in the future, it just doesn't have great transit infrastructure at the moment. Houston does also have a higher poverty rate which means more transit users who have no other choice. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when D2 is complete (and Project Connect in Austin for that matter).

I think Houston's lack of zoning means that you get a little bit of urbanity everywhere but consistent urbanity nowhere. Whether that's ultimately better or worse than the alternative is an interesting discussion.
DART is for Dallas County.....NOT DFW......So DART is very Centralized...Downtown Dallas is THE CENTRAL HUB for DART and the City of Dallas.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:05 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTX View Post
Attachment 238830

The mighty Trinity River.
It looks pretty like that. They need to dam it up and keep it like that. If it floods it floods, lol

Old 08-23-2022, 02:07 PM

42 posts, read 21,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It looks pretty like that. They need to dam it up and keep it like that. If it floods it floods, lol
Army corps getting in the way.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
DART is for Dallas County.....NOT DFW......So DART is very Centralized...Downtown Dallas is THE CENTRAL HUB for DART and the City of Dallas.
And Collin County.

Old 08-26-2022, 03:24 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
I have to say that Dallas has the swankier streetscapes, although Houston's while urban, is mainly geared toward business and events. Dallas is more fancier, but is kind of missing that grit factor that most urban cities like NYC and Philadelphia have to really create that true traditional urban experience. Dallas's urban seems to be more on the direction of Seattle's urban.

Houston has several areas with all the bones in place but it drops off because the neighborhoods are not connected as well. So Houston has more of a checkerboard feel of urbanism while Dallas has a smaller, but better connected feel

As far as rail goes, I agree with SPACECITY 100%. Flash is everything and we all know that's what Dallas does best. The rail system is flashy and more impressive to a visitor. I would trade Dallas's DART system over Houston's too (EXCEPT THE SLEEK LOOK OF OUR TRAINS, they can stay )

Old 08-26-2022, 03:47 PM

Where is the 'checkerboard urbanism' areas located?

Also can you give examples of the connected neighborhoods in Dallas.

Just going by Google Dallas doesn't have half the connected area size as Houston. The individual neighborhoods might have more energy but they are not all compartmentalized and criss-crossed by major roadways and flood plains

Last edited by atadytic19; 08-26-2022 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-26-2022, 05:04 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Where is the 'checkerboard urbanism' areas located?

Also can you give examples of the connected neighborhoods in Dallas.

Just going by Google Dallas doesn't have half the connected area size as Houston. The individual neighborhoods might have more energy but they are not all compartmentalized and criss-crossed by major roadways and flood plains
Central Dallas is a lot more connected with more walkable streetscapes.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Central Dallas is a lot more connected with more walkable streetscapes.
That's what everyone keeps saying, but which neighborhoods?

Between downtown Dallas and Victory Park there is a huge highway:

2021 N Field St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uy4HezcaPviA37Zs8

Verdict: not connected.

Woodall Rodgers Freeway:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nEntEyrtbLGQYsgaA

If Lower Montrose to the Museum District is not connected then ^^ isn't either. The Park is a nice touch though.

The Uptown area of Dallas is nice, but it's not as connected as people on here make it seem. It's separated from Oaklawn to the west by flood plain (in Texas we call this parks).
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XAJBeRFaSTMxfcrQ9

North of Uptown and Downtown:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/issUpF7wy27oUJVp8
This also divides Downtown Dallas from Deep Ellum.

Then downtown and all of that is separated from Bishop Arts by the almost 1 mile wide flood plain.

Idk, there are not as many connected neighborhoods in the core as in Houston. The individual areas all have their strengths, but I keep hearing how the neighborhoods are connected, but they are not. There are routes that make are developed into each other, but so does Houston.

If you want to say that Mckinney in Dallas is more built up than Main in Houston (outside of the downtown area) then I can see that. But that doesn't translate into Houston having less connected neighborhoods. You can't ride a tram down a street then base the whole core just off of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City