Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Minneapolis, which is best for a remote job?
Denver 17 51.52%
Minneapolis 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 09:00 AM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Minnesota is a very high tax state. It's top 5 for total tax burden, and Colorado is outside the Top 25. Colorado has a flat 4.55% income tax. Minnesota's is graduated with the lowest tier at 5.35%, and the highest tier is 9.85%.

I know OP is discounting the weather, but MSP is easily one of the worst (if not the worst) large metros in the lower 48 in the winter. It's common for there to be multiple days in a row where the temperature never gets above freezing. Overnight lows in the single digits or teens with highs in the 20s are a regular occurrence. The average daytime high in Denver in December, January, and February is 15-20 degrees warmer than it is in the Twin Cities. We also don't have the moderate levels of humidity that the Twin Cities do. Denver is closer to Phoenix in that regard.
He said he lived in places colder than Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 09:07 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
He said he lived in places colder than Minneapolis.
I'm well aware. I simply don't think it's wise to discount how terrible winters are there. I spent the first 10 years of my life about 150 mi SE of the Twin Cities, and we moved from there to one of the coldest parts of Colorado. The latter seemed balmy at times compared to the former.

If you like being outdoors in the winter, Denver > Minneapolis (unless you just like freezing your ass off). We're sunnier and the days are generally significantly warmer.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 08-18-2022 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Changed the mileage. Roughly 150mi SE of MSP.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:32 AM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'm well aware. I simply don't think it's wise to discount how terrible winters are there. I spent the first 10 years of my life about 150 mi SE of the Twin Cities, and we moved from there to one of the coldest parts of Colorado. The latter seemed balmy at times compared to the former.

If you like being outdoors in the winter, Denver > Minneapolis (unless you just like freezing your ass off). We're sunnier and the days are generally significantly warmer.
Everyone is different. Minnesotans tend to be very outdoorsy in the winter.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:34 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZaz. View Post
Some things I like to do include going to museums, check out historical neighborhoods with cool restaurants and shops, and check out really unique restaurants overall. My kids are going into elementary and middle school.
Seems like MSP would be a better fit for you.

Most folks moving to the Denver area are typically passionate about mountain activities, so much so that they're willing to pay a premium to live here. Denver is the most expensive non coastal city.

https://kdvr.com/news/data/denver-no...-50-us-metros/

Why pay for something you're not going to enjoy?

Old 08-18-2022, 10:44 AM

559 posts, read 1,323,526 times
Minneapolis. With St. Paul right next door, you get a two for one deal. People love to overhype the winters in Minneapolis, like it's somewhere in Greenland. It is what you make of it. If you hate it, go somewhere for a week or two in January. Most of the year is wonderful and you don't have oppressive heat all summer, or have to worry about forest fires or running out of water.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:10 PM

327 posts, read 222,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Most of the year is wonderful and you don't have oppressive heat all summer, or have to worry about forest fires or running out of water.
You can say that again. From the perspective of water stress, Minneapolis is a much safer alternative than Denver. I predict that, by the mid-2030s, many Midwestern metropolitan areas previously discounted by the Sun Belt crowd, including Minneapolis, will experience a surge in population growth, as people flee Texas, Oklahoma and the Western states due to increasingly ferocious wildfires and reduced freshwater supply.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:34 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
You can say that again. From the perspective of water stress, Minneapolis is a much safer alternative than Denver. I predict that, by the mid-2030s, many Midwestern metropolitan areas previously discounted by the Sun Belt crowd, including Minneapolis, will experience a surge in population growth, as people flee Texas, Oklahoma and the Western states due to increasingly ferocious wildfires and reduced freshwater supply.
Yes, this is likely, but I hope not. Believe it our not, the Twin Cities are still growing at a pretty healthy clip. Would hate for it to grow faster. There already seems to be more than enough people and traffic around here.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:23 PM

120 posts, read 132,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Minneapolis. With St. Paul right next door, you get a two for one deal. People love to overhype he winters in Minneapolis, like it's somewhere in Greenland. It is what you make of it. If you hate it, go somewhere for a week or two in January. Most of the year is wonderful and you don't have oppressive heat all summer, or have to worry about forest fires or running out of water.
Climate change is probably the highest priority for me in terms of weather.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
Yes I predict that most people will be moving back to the Midwest/Great Lakes within the next 20-30 years. Denver is expanding one of their reservoir dams, but I am not sure if it will save Denver from water stress, and the cities around Denver are upset about it happening for whatever reason. The places that seem like the safest bets in the Southwest are San Diego, CA and Tucson, AZ.

Old 08-19-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Seems like MSP would be a better fit for you.

Most folks moving to the Denver area are typically passionate about mountain activities, so much so that they're willing to pay a premium to live here. Denver is the most expensive non coastal city.

https://kdvr.com/news/data/denver-no...-50-us-metros/

Why pay for something you're not going to enjoy?
Oh, that is not great. I clicked on the link and all the cities above Denver were indeed cities on the coast. That is something I will have to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City