Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Minneapolis, which is best for a remote job?
Denver 17 51.52%
Minneapolis 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 05:52 PM

120 posts, read 132,294 times

Advertisements

What is the best city for a remote job?
My criteria:
Things to do
Food
Schools
Cost of living
Crime

I am okay with living in the suburbs as well, so if there are some safe suburbs as well, you can tell me about those. My budget is pretty high so what I mean about cost of living is what are the taxes like and if stuff like groceries are expensive, please inform me on that. I appreciate everybody helping me decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 07:35 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Weather isn’t a factor? Because it seems like it should be a part of the equation when we are talking about Minneapolis.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Weather isn’t a factor? Because it seems like it should be a part of the equation when we are talking about Minneapolis.
I have lived in places colder than Minneapolis and I figured that everybody would vote for Denver for the weather only and weather is never one of my top concerns anyway, so I left it out.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:31 PM

17,181 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Criteria is a bit vague... But I'm steering hard towards Minneapolis based on your OP.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:09 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,171,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZaz. View Post
My criteria:
Things to do
Food
Schools
Cost of living
Crime

I am okay with living in the suburbs as well, so if there are some safe suburbs as well, you can tell me about those. My budget is pretty high so what I mean about cost of living is what are the taxes like and if stuff like groceries are expensive, please inform me on that. I appreciate everybody helping me decide.
What do you mean by schools? Are you going to grad school or something?
What kind of food do you like?
What kind of things do you like to do in your spare time?
COL is likely lower in Minneapolis.
Both cities have crime.

Can't really make a recommendation without more details. Why did you even pick these 2 cities?

Old 08-17-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
What do you mean by schools? Are you going to grad school or something?
What kind of food do you like?
What kind of things do you like to do in your spare time?
COL is likely lower in Minneapolis.
Both cities have crime.

Can't really make a recommendation without more details. Why did you even pick these 2 cities?
Some things I like to do include going to museums, check out historical neighborhoods with cool restaurants and shops, and check out really unique restaurants overall. My kids are going into elementary and middle school.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:10 PM

579 posts, read 513,470 times
Denver is over priced for what it offers, IMO. They are both second rate, 2nd tier markets. But Denver got really popular 10 years ago with priced out Californians and mid western folks looking to smoke legal weed. Like Portland, San Diego, and Austin it has become a victim of it's own success.

Offering a high cost of living that damn near rivals large coastal metro, with only the offerings of a typical mid sized middle American metro.

Minneapolis is a lot more adequately priced for what it offers. Denver might have a better climate over all, but not enough to justify the high price point IMO.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:40 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,171,732 times
Quote:
Some things I like to do include going to museums, check out historical neighborhoods with cool restaurants and shops, and check out really unique restaurants overall. My kids are going into elementary and middle school.
The two cities offer pretty comparable experiences in museums and historical neighborhoods. Unique shops and restaurants too. Neither are great food cities but I would say Denver is C+ while Minnie is C-.

For areas with good schools in the Denver area check out Central Park, Littleton or Highlands Ranch.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:34 AM

1,348 posts, read 882,136 times
St. Paul is more historic than Minneapolis and is safer. The Twin Cities has great museums and has one of the best urban park systems in the country if you care about that. Minneapolis ranks number one for biking in the country. Your more likely to find better African, South East Asian, and Native American cuisine in the Twin Cities.

Last edited by Kaszilla; 08-18-2022 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 08:42 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
My criteria:
Things to do
Food
Schools
Cost of living
Crime

Minnesota is a very high tax state. It's top 5 for total tax burden, and Colorado is outside the Top 25. Colorado has a flat 4.55% income tax. Minnesota's is graduated with the lowest tier at 5.35%, and the highest tier is 9.85%.

I know OP is discounting the weather, but MSP is easily one of the worst (if not the worst) large metros in the lower 48 in the winter. It's common for there to be multiple days in a row where the temperature never gets above freezing. Overnight lows in the single digits or teens with highs in the 20s are a regular occurrence. The average daytime high in Denver in December, January, and February is 15-20 degrees warmer than it is in the Twin Cities. We also don't have the moderate levels of humidity that the Twin Cities do. Denver is closer to Phoenix in that regard.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 08-18-2022 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City