Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,201 times

Advertisements

Definitely looking at the city not the suburbs, my initial impression is that DC proper would be out of my price range. You definitely bring up some good points here, thank you.

Last edited by Omup24; 08-19-2022 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoM2000 View Post
I'm also on the fence between DC and Chicago (not considering Atlanta, though). I now DC is more expensive, but maybe it's worth it because of the more balanced seasons (longer Springs and Falls), milder winters, non-flat terrain, and more diverse demographics?
Yeah the demographics I think are more favorable in terms of the neighborhoods being more diverse on average. The weather is a factor I prefer warmer weather but I’m used to the cold winters already so I think I can tough it out because Chicago during the summer is amazing. The only thing that bothers me about DC is in my price range I can mostly get a small studio <500 sq feet which is fine I don’t need a lot of space tbh. But Chicago you can get the same box in most neighborhoods for $1200-$1500 and outside of the demographics I like Chicago neighborhoods better in every other way and they feel more connected. I’m right there with you though it’s tough it’s like splitting hairs at this point lol.

Old 08-19-2022, 12:51 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omup24 View Post
Yeah the demographics I think are more favorable in terms of the neighborhoods being more diverse on average. The weather is a factor I prefer warmer weather but I’m used to the cold winters already so I think I can tough it out because Chicago during the summer is amazing. The only thing that bothers me about DC is in my price range I can mostly get a small studio <500 sq feet which is fine I don’t need a lot of space tbh. But Chicago you can get the same box in most neighborhoods for $1200-$1500 and outside of the demographics I like Chicago neighborhoods better in every other way and they feel more connected. I’m right there with you though it’s tough it’s like splitting hairs at this point lol.
I think the biggest factor in this comparison is the Black professional scene in these cities. Chicago seems like an outlier here compared to DC and Atlanta.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:09 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Part of your choice will depend on what your work is, or what you want it to be, so consider that as well. But for almost any type of white-collar work, or work in the non-profit sector, D.C. will be tops and offer more opportunities than Atlanta or Chicago. The jobs there will likely pay better as well. DC is close to other major cities to visit, and a quick day trip to the shore or mountains. No need for a car in many places within the city limits--though it's always nice to have one--and rents are still not outrageous. You can live outside the hood within your budget or slightly more. Night life there looks respectable from what I've heard. My clubbing and bar-hopping days are in the past, but when I visit, it always looks lively in Adams Morgan, Georgetown, the U Street Corridor., the Navy Yard area. (Just FYI, weed is quasi-legal in DC and fully legal in Chicago, but still illegal in Atlanta.)

Washington can be sorta insular, however. Since government and politics are a big deal there, a lot of talk and activity revolves around that in some circles. Sure, people get excited about the Nats or Redskins (now Commanders) or go to concerts and shows, but in general, DC seems to me much more work and career oriented than Chicago and Atlanta. What you do for a living seems to take on a greater importance there than ithe other two cities.

All that said, I'd still go with DC as a first choice and Atlanta as last, with Chicago, obviously, a runner up.

Good luck.

Last edited by citylove101; 08-19-2022 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-19-2022, 01:16 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Part of your choice will depend on what your work is, or what you want it to be, so consider that as well. But for almost any type of white-collar work, or work in the non-profit sector, D.C. will be tops and offer more opportunities than Atlanta or Chicago. The jobs there will likely pay better as well. DC is close to other major cities to visit, and a quick day trip to the shore or mountains. No need for a car in many places within the city limits--though it's always nice to have one--and rents are still not outrageous. You can live outside the hood within your budget or slightly more. Night life there looks respectable from what I've heard. My clubbing and bar-hopping days are in the past, but when I visit, it always looks lively in Adams Morgan, Georgetown, the U Street Corridor., the Navy Yard area. (Just FYI, weed is quasi-legal in DC and fully legal in Chicago, but still illegal in Atlanta.)

Washington can be sorta insular, however. Since government and politics are a big deal there, a lot of talk and activity revolves around that in some circles. Sure, people get excited about the Nats or Redskins (now Commanders) or go to concerts and shows, but in general, DC seems to me much more work and career oriented than Chicago and Atlanta. What you do for a living seems to take on a greater importance there than in Chicago or Atlanta.

All that said, I'd still go with DC as a first choice and Atlanta as last, with Chicago, obviously, a runner up.

Good luck.
The bolded is not true for Black people in the DC area. I think that is more common amongst other races. Black professionals talk about things they are interested in which overwhelmingly involve Black culture. I think that is true anywhere in America though.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:28 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The bolded is not true for Black people in the DC area. I think that is more common amongst other races. Black professionals talk about things they are interested in which overwhelmingly involve Black culture. I think that is true anywhere in America though.
There are a LOT of us in DC involved in government or government agencies, probably more so than in Chicago or Atlanta. For sure, that is not the only topic that comes up at parties and gatherings. As you say, a lot of what we talk about anywhere, we'll talk about in DC. I'm just saying that the government/politics thing comes up a lot more often there than in other cities, and its something OP should be aware of. And I do think it pops up a lot because DC is more career focused than Chicago and Atlanta. I've been to more than one social gathering there where in one way or another, the question "So what do you do?" pops up in conversation pretty quickly.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:35 PM

93,230 posts, read 123,819,554 times
OP, I'm curious if you would be open to adjacent cities in those areas like say Evanston, Silver Spring or Decatur? I as, because they can offer much of what you are looking for as well.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:51 PM

192 posts, read 150,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omup24 View Post
I'm an accountant (not a CPA, no Masters degree, only a Bachelors) so I don't know if I'd be able to land a high enough paying job in DC to justify the cost haha. But I grew up there (northern VA), so it'd be easier emotionally to move back there by myself.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:03 PM

9 posts, read 6,186 times
I live in Atlanta and I'm in Chicago at least 4-5x a year. I would definitely suggest Chicago. I've been in Atlanta many years and I will say:

1-Great social and networking opportunities - IMO, anywhere is a networking opportunity. Not sure that any of these cities have specific networking opportunities that's better than the other. Atlanta's social scene has shifted from strictly nightclubs back in the day, to more of a mixed use food hall, open space type spots, (see the beltline, ponce city market, the avalon, krog st market, the battery, west midtown).

Urban Living - Atlanta is NOT where you want to be if you want an urban lifestyle. I've seen some posters mention Midtown and Downtown as a possible option.
I would say, yea if you just want to stay in those areas which are small areas btw, but if you need to traverse the city you'll be stuck with MARTA's slow unreliable transit network. most buses have 30-60 minute headways and there's only 3 real rail lines. I do believe it's getting slightly better with more development around the beltline and more development around MARTA stations, but are you willing to wait around 10-15 years until it possibly gets there?

Black Professional Scene - Atlanta has the most concentration of blacks / African-Americans out of DC, and Chicago. You will definitely see many many middle class blacks in many areas. The Atlanta metro is very sprawled so you'll see middle class blacks everywhere in and outside of the perimeter.

Affordability - Rent prices are really creeping up especially if you're looking for any of these new apartments around the beltline development and these new Transit Oriented Development going up, which is probably where you'd might want to start looking as it's close to rail. From what I've seen, 1BR 1BR in some areas are up to $2200 average. You can find cheaper the further you go outside of the inner core, however, you'd be stuck in a waste land asphalt and not being able to get anywhere without a car.

Last edited by JahshimR; 08-19-2022 at 07:30 PM..

Old 08-19-2022, 07:13 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Chicago, DC then Atlanta. You will most likely need a car in Alanta at some point, the system there is not that extensive, at least not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City