Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 02:31 PM

33 posts, read 24,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoM2000 View Post
Yeah, but there are reasons why Chicago and Philly are affordable compared to NYC, DC, Boston, and SF. Mostly, because the latter 4 cities offer higher paying jobs, more amenities, better public transportation, etc. You get what you pay for.

Chicago has more amenities and way better transit than Boston (and DC and SF). Aren't Boston trains catching on fire left and right? LOL. Boston is much more safer tho and has better nature surrouding it, but thats about it...Boston is ridiculously overpriced, the SF of the East Coast.

Chicago has the 2nd best transit system in the country behind NYC. Only DC is comparable. SF and Boston transit systems arent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 03:54 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Yeah, but there are reasons why Chicago and Philly are affordable compared to NYC, DC, Boston, and SF. Mostly, because the latter 4 cities offer higher paying jobs, more amenities, better public transportation, etc. You get what you pay for.
Ha…good one. Chicago is one of the top cities for public transportation behind NYC.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:23 PM

192 posts, read 150,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Ha…good one. Chicago is one of the top cities for public transportation behind NYC.
But those elevated tracks looks so ugly--old, rusty, not to mention noisy. Underground in DC is so much nicer.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:26 PM

192 posts, read 150,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burginsnoff View Post
Chicago has more amenities and way better transit than Boston (and DC and SF). Aren't Boston trains catching on fire left and right? LOL. Boston is much more safer tho and has better nature surrouding it, but thats about it...Boston is ridiculously overpriced, the SF of the East Coast.
DC looks like it has better nature--more trees, hills, etc. From the YouTube videos I've seen of Chicago (both downtown and the neighborhoods), it mostly looks really flat, and not enough trees (just concrete everywhere). And those elevated tracks and platforms are such eyesores lol.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:35 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
But those elevated tracks looks so ugly--old, rusty, not to mention noisy. Underground in DC is so much nicer.
You’re arguing in circles. You listed NYC and Boston’s subway systems which are old legacy systems as well. DC being a newer Southern city does not have the same feel as the older Northern cities. Plus the Metra, a major part of Chicago’s public transportation is not old and rusty.

Lots of the L tracks look nice. Just depends on the station.

https://digital.milespartnership.com...wser&ver=html5

https://www.google.com/search?q=el+s...YyePhh7gYBSTVM

DC’s subway is tacky looking too, although I know they’ve recently upgraded their trains, which are nicer. The stations are just as dirty, dark, and tacky looking as many of Chicago’s though. That brown stained flooring and darkness is yuck….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ion-platforms/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...the-blue-line/

Old 08-26-2022, 02:40 AM

13 posts, read 8,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omup24 View Post
Hello so I’m having a really tough time making a decision here so looking for some insight into these three cities. I’m a 28 y/o African American male from Cincinnati who is looking to for a new adventure. While I love Cincinnati I’ve been here my entire life and looking to spend the rest of my youth in a new city. Struggling to pick between these 3 great cities.

Top five most important things to me

1. Great social and networking opportunities
2. Fun activities and Nightlife, I prefer a diverse scene with bar hopping opportunities and outdoor activities.
3. Urban living
4. Black professional scene
5. Affordability, current rent budget $1700

Chicago - Really high on this city right now, I just have two main concerns and that’s what do I with my car? Because it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to afford to bring it. Also, is there a scene/nightlife for African Americans here?

Atlanta - I’m most familiar with Atlanta out of these cities as I have some family here. I like Atlanta a lot but worried I might not be able to find the urban environment here and that it may be difficult to make friends.

DC - This appears on the surface to check all of my boxes but my number one worry is the cost?, would it be possible to find rent within my budget?

Which of these cities are the best for me to spend the rest of my 20s/early 30s? I’m looking to move in January so any insight is much appreciated!
go the chicago route, personally i'd choose chicago if i were u too, the winters are a killer from what i heard tho

Old 08-26-2022, 05:46 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Per usual this thread turns from actual topic of the OP, into people taken offense to basic statements or opinions others make about their respective cities, and has lost any direction.

Only on C-D will you hear stuff like DC has poor transit, and the system is uglier than NYC or Chicago lol.

Washington Metro is #106 on America's favorite architecture list, there's no other major transit systems in the US on the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

Again to the topic of the OP I think you should do Atlanta, COL and a young vibrant metro where you can feel things out easier, and get acclimated to the local culture smoothly. It's cheaper, and pretty easy going, but people still get their hustle on there too. If you get there and work your way into the lifestyle there, and either don't like it or want a more urban city, but still with the heavy Black professional class, as well as being diverse you can look to DC or maybe Chicago. Being from the Midwest already I feel you want a new region of the country to live in. Both DC and Atlanta win on location here.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:11 AM

33 posts, read 24,684 times
Atlanta isnt cheap anymore idk why people keep running with that. And the wages are super low

Old 08-26-2022, 07:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Chicago is a not a replica of NYC. Nobody in NYC would even entertain such a comparison.
Nor would anyone from Chicago

Old 08-26-2022, 11:18 AM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burginsnoff View Post
Atlanta isnt cheap anymore idk why people keep running with that. And the wages are super low
Wages aren't super low. Atlanta has the highest tech jobs per capita and was chosen as the best US city for a tech career based on cost of living, average salary, etc: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...eid=b96e0bd959

The Economist also chose Atlanta is the most livable city in the United States: https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/e...-north-america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City