Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 11:52 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Not a bad list, overall. But Ft Wayne? I've lived there, I wouldn't wish it on an enemy. It's the armpit of the upper midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 11:54 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
I wonder if costs of living was a huge factor for this list?

Old 08-30-2022, 12:01 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
St. Louis, might be alright on climate for many but not everyone. Outdoor recreation probably more alright than special.

In city crime rates, St. Louis has almost 4 times the national average on violent crime and 2.5 times the property crime rate. One can say "most violent crime is between people that know each other" and "some neighborhoods and suburbs are safer than others" but crime is still a pretty big argument against St. Louis to me.
This is not a far fetched concern when looking at statistics. I knew that the subject of Murder City would come up in the first few posts. If St. Louis was that dangerous, I don't think I could live here.

We have to consider the context of crime in St. Louis that isn't the same as the subject of crime stats in Atlanta, Nashville or Pittsburg.

I think you have to consider the jurisdictional boundaries of St. Louis being less than 10% of the MSA but it contains the majority of the regions poverty at 20%. Concentrated poverty is never a good thing in any city. St. Louis metro is very average for crime the last I heard with an average poverty rate 10.2%.

Within the city of St. Louis, the areas where people live work and play is pretty moderate on homicides as well but high side of moderate on property crime. The parts of the city with heavy decline is pretty dangerous. There is a small portion that is extremely dangerous that contains maybe 10,000 residents if that. As of this day, the majority of the city isn't in decline. Some parts are thriving.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
These cities almost look random. I mean, Rapid City vs Tampa? They’re just so different.
I know. They have to keep people reading. Not everyone will like the same place.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:13 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Crime rates are troubling but should only be compared to the same place over time to look for trends (up or down), not from place to place or especially state to state. There are too many factors that make things too different -- like crime reports, arrests, criminal code, prosecution rate, etc. Looking at how a place changes over time makes sense. The prime example is Kansas City. The state line street runs through a commercial/residential neighborhood on the west side. Are you much safer walking on the Kansas or Missouri side of the street because the rates are different?

Old 08-30-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Crime rates are troubling but should only be compared to the same place over time to look for trends (up or down), not from place to place or especially state to state. There are too many factors that make things too different -- like crime reports, arrests, criminal code, prosecution rate, etc. Looking at how a place changes over time makes sense. The prime example is Kansas City. The state line street runs through a commercial/residential neighborhood on the west side. Are you much safer walking on the Kansas or Missouri side of the street because the rates are different?
I guess that is why they didn't include crime stats in this analysis. It isn't always apples to apples.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:13 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post

Portland Oregon, not Portland ME...definitely not that small.

St Louis area and Pittsburgh are actually both good areas - relative low cost of living but has everything you need for a metro area.
I mis-read that as Portland, Maine, not Portland, Oregon. If it's Portland, Oregon, then 110% it's a major destination for anyone. Solidly tops the list for most people due to its incredible bar/food options and tons of things to do in the city. Also, its proximity to the stunning pacific coast and the mountains and hiking/waterfall trails everywhere in the metro area is a major draw.

St Louis and Pittsburgh are good picks for right out of college. Personally, I'd pick Pittsburgh all day over St Louis, due to the more hip vibe, but St Louis offers some great cultural institutions and city living in its good areas.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:35 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
As I indicated at the time, I was talking about St Louis CITY crime rates previously.

It is true that the metro area outside the city is on average about normal on crime overall, maybe even good in places. Depending on how much time you spend in the city, where / when and your attitude about the risk, people will vary on how big a deal crime is in the St. Louis experience. I thought it was worth at least raising the topic and stats and discussing briefly. It is fairly unusual for a city rating to have no consideration of crime (and climate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City