Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2022, 12:34 PM

85 posts, read 45,620 times

Advertisements

Surprised Chicago's Arab numbers aren't higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 08:50 PM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
This might seem like a dumb question but is there a reason why so many European immigrants prefer the east coast of the US to the west coast, is there something social/cultural that attracts them there besides the obvious geographical closeness to Europe? You'd think Europeans would be flocking to LA, Vegas, or Hawaii, places that are more different/exotic than their homeland.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:22 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
This might seem like a dumb question but is there a reason why so many European immigrants prefer the east coast of the US to the west coast, is there something social/cultural that attracts them there besides the obvious geographical closeness to Europe? You'd think Europeans would be flocking to LA, Vegas, or Hawaii, places that are more different/exotic than their homeland.
Perhaps proximity to the Atlantic. Same reason why Asians historically flocked to our West coast.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:40 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Started out many many years ago with Ellis Island. And it went from there. The proximity and history are in East Coast’s favor. Also the fact that it’s the closest to European pedestrian infrastructure that you’ll get in USA

Old 11-15-2022, 07:43 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
I think people are more likely to move somewhere that's more familiar rather than exotic. Especially if there are economic migrants

and of course, as stated, Europe is closer to the East Coast than the West coast and Hawaii.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:15 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Started out many many years ago with Ellis Island. And it went from there. The proximity and history are in East Coast’s favor. Also the fact that it’s the closest to European pedestrian infrastructure that you’ll get in USA
I don't think the pedestrian infrastructure has much to do with it. Asia, Africa and South America are filled with walkers and density, arguably more than most European countries outside of Spain/Italy/Greece. Yet, I don't think they favor the East coast. On top of that almost all the European migrants I knew in Houston were based out of the Memorial/Westchase area or Katy and all worked in oil. I assume it's likely gonna be similar for Europeans in other cities, where they don't necessarily live in places drastically different from other middle class Americans, unless of course it's a refugee group that came over here.

I also don't think it's that bias, seeing as I'm from Katy because I played soccer with a bunch of Europeans and by and large the West Houston clubs I played for and against had the most European players, playing soccer across the Houston area for nearly a decade.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:07 PM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
Surprised Chicago's Arab numbers aren't higher.
It has the largest Palestinian community in the US and a small Syrian/Iraqi refugee population, but it's definitely more of a 2nd or 3rd generation kind of Arab population (which obviously wouldn't be reflected in the Census--Arab is considered "white" or "other" so "Arab" here just refers to having origin in Arab countries). I understand why Lebanese people don't move here but it nevertheless surprises ne that Chicago never attracted a large Lebanese population as it is so close to Detroit.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:50 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Las Vegas is way blacker than anywhere else in the West. Wow. Its pulled away incredibly fast.
I heard it's black population grew something like 40%+ in 10 years, and for a major metro that's extremely fast. Some new suburban, Texas towns don't see that much black growth.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:11 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I heard it's black population grew something like 40%+ in 10 years, and for a major metro that's extremely fast. Some new suburban, Texas towns don't see that much black growth.
I wonder what it is about Las Vegas that seems to be attracting so many black people, especially compared to say Phoenix or Denver.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I wonder what it is about Las Vegas that seems to be attracting so many black people, especially compared to say Phoenix or Denver.
Vegas is closer to Southern California which has a sizeable Black population. The Vegas economy is also very service and healthcare based, and Blacks are well represented in those industries. On top of that, it is cheaper than both Phoenix and Denver, so the money from selling the CA home will go farther in Vegas. Plus with Vegas being a tourist mecca, many people (esp from SoCal) have been there several times so are more comfortable moving there due to familiarity. In a lot of ways, Vegas almost feels like the Inland Empire due to all the ex-Californians there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City