Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite upstate/western NY city?
Buffalo 32 46.38%
Albany 12 17.39%
Syracuse 6 8.70%
Rochester 15 21.74%
Ithaca 9 13.04%
Utica 4 5.80%
Binghampton 3 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 04:55 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times

Advertisements

I am such a hipster. As Buffalo is getting trendier, I'm finding myself less interested, haha... It is where I'd choose to live out of anywhere in upstate NY, though.

Utica has interested me for a bit because, despite its small size and not being close to any larger cities, it seems to have been something of a port of entry for decades. I know of its still-extant Italian community through ckh's posts here, and I know there's also some kind of refugee resettlement program there, resulting in a somewhat sizable population from Southeast Asia especially. Wikipedia tells me a lot of them are Karen ("ka-REN"), a group I don't know much about but is apparently being persecuted by the Burmese government like the Rohingya. Utica is also apparently 7% Bosnian due to an influx during the Bosnian War.

Visually, it looks less "modern" than other upstate NY cities I've streetviewed --- less new construction, less "new urban" stuff (cafes, boba, arcade bars, yoga/pilates etc.) Not that I mind any of those things but I just find cities that feel more "stuck in time" more interesting (although I'm sure many of the residents disagree).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 05:16 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I am such a hipster. As Buffalo is getting trendier, I'm finding myself less interested, haha... It is where I'd choose to live out of anywhere in upstate NY, though.

Utica has interested me for a bit because, despite its small size and not being close to any larger cities, it seems to have been something of a port of entry for decades. I know of its still-extant Italian community through ckh's posts here, and I know there's also some kind of refugee resettlement program there, resulting in a somewhat sizable population from Southeast Asia especially. Wikipedia tells me a lot of them are Karen ("ka-REN"), a group I don't know much about but is apparently being persecuted by the Burmese government like the Rohingya. Utica is also apparently 7% Bosnian due to an influx during the Bosnian War.

Visually, it looks less "modern" than other upstate NY cities I've streetviewed --- less new construction, less "new urban" stuff (cafes, boba, arcade bars, yoga/pilates etc.) Not that I mind any of those things but I just find cities that feel more "stuck in time" more interesting (although I'm sure many of the residents disagree).
You might like Binghamton as well, as it is similar in that regard. It may be a little bit more modern, but definitely has an old school look/feel. Ironically, it also has a 3 am last call on select nights, which is only behind the Buffalo and Albany areas(4 am, it is 2 am in Rochester and Syracuse).

Johnson City is an adjacent urban community, Endicott being another such community further west. Both of those communities are “company” towns, that offer walkability. I’d say the State Street and Washington Street areas of Downtown Binghamton may appeal those looking for nightlife/restaurants.

For Utica, Varick Street offers nightlife, just west of Downtown. Baggs Square is another Downtown district that has had somewhat of a resurgence.

Old 09-22-2022, 07:24 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of the last sentence for the Syracuse description, while some first ring suburbs are more working/lower middle in look, you also have some solidly to upper middle first ring suburbs such as Onondaga Hill, Westvale, DeWitt(CDP), Jamesville/Southwood and the Parkwood/Franklin Park area of East Syracuse(town of DeWitt).

In terms of the second to last sentence, the University/Westcott area has 3 walkable areas(Westcott, Crouse-Marshall and East Genesee Street/East Fayette(some say Midtown), with the Eastwood neighborhood in the NE corner of the city making up about 10-11% of the city’s population. With the latter, you also have the adjacent, middle/upper middle class Sedgwick neighborhood there as well. That last neighborhood is also next to the walkable Butternut Circle area of Grant Boulevard in the generally working to solidly middle class Court-Woodlawn neighborhood.

One more thing, what separates Syracuse’s Downtown from the others is that much of the nightlife is in the more known Armory Square district and also the more low key Hanover Square district. Both have housing and you have some spots in other parts of Downtown. The Heart of Downtown/Salina Street has also seen some development in recent years. There seems to be some type of festival every week or 2 in Clinton Square or somewhere in Downtown as well. So, it may have the best balance of live, work and play out of the bigger area Downtowns. In fact, this is taking place Saturday: https://downtownsyracuse.com/events/...wn-living-tour
Sorry, but downtown Syracuse is not better than Buffalo by any means. I had just moved back from Syracuse about six months ago. I lived there for over a year. Downtown didn't have much of anything. And leaps and bounds worse than Buffalo (a city I've lived in for several years). You have Armory square for a few bars, but it's not some huge nightlife area. In fact, one of the slights I had about Syracuse was that they had nothing like Elmwood Ave/ or Hertel ave in Buffalo or Monroe/ Park ave in Rochester. In syracuse its basically, downtown or nothing. And downtown is a vacant factory. Nothing was there. It's nice that they added that salt whatever building at the end of Salina that has a few restaurants. But I've been there, and they are neither trendy or cheap. Just a small tripod of stairs to sit in the middle. Plus living in Syracuse for a while now, there aren't any restaurants. Please don't say Pastabilities. I'm not even sure it's open anymore. And the bar scene is obsolete outside of Armory square. Not a big bar town. Having said all that, It's an ok city. I've lived in too many other cities to have been impressed. Wanted to like it, but the people were some of the angriest I've ever met.

Old 09-22-2022, 07:33 PM

Buffalo by a long shot. I haven't seen anything in Rochester that impresses me. Half of downtown is boarded up. Same goes with Syracuse. I like the surrounding hills of Syracuse over Rochester. Personally, I liked Utica. Just the layout. And I don't know why? Perhaps, the history of it. I actually like Albany better than Rochester or Syracuse. Albany might be my second favorite upstate city. Ithaca is a cool smaller city. But it's changing so rapidly, that what I used to like about it, is not even there anymore. This is the downside of growth.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Sorry, but downtown Syracuse is not better than Buffalo by any means. I had just moved back from Syracuse about six months ago. I lived there for over a year. Downtown didn't have much of anything. And leaps and bounds worse than Buffalo (a city I've lived in for several years). You have Armory square for a few bars, but it's not some huge nightlife area. In fact, one of the slights I had about Syracuse was that they had nothing like Elmwood Ave/ or Hertel ave in Buffalo or Monroe/ Park ave in Rochester. In syracuse its basically, downtown or nothing. And downtown is a vacant factory. Nothing was there. It's nice that they added that salt whatever building at the end of Salina that has a few restaurants. But I've been there, and they are neither trendy or cheap. Just a small tripod of stairs to sit in the middle. Plus living in Syracuse for a while now, there aren't any restaurants. Please don't say Pastabilities. I'm not even sure it's open anymore. And the bar scene is obsolete outside of Armory square. Not a big bar town. Having said all that, It's an ok city. I've lived in too many other cities to have been impressed. Wanted to like it, but the people were some of the angriest I've ever met.
Not true and I’m not believing you, as Pastabilities is still around(full disclosure, I’ve only had the Pasta’s Daily Bread). Armory Square has multiple restaurants, the MOST museum(more for families) and shops/stores. Even going north on Franklin Street a few blocks, you have some restaurants(inc. Dinosaur BBQ and a couple of sports bars) and a couple of clubs(Club 54 and Trexx, a gay spot that gets a mixed crowd).

Hanover Square also has multiple restaurants, a club(Orbis), a Soccer bar(Wolff’s Biergarten) and a several shops.

Can find more Downtown information here: https://downtownsyracuse.com/eat-drink
https://www.visitsyracuse.com/things...town-syracuse/
https://www.visitsyracuse.com/things...armory-square/
https://www.visitsyracuse.com/things...anover-square/

Besides the Salt City Market, which is what you were trying to refer to, you have the Landmark Theater, which has shows and a popular restaurant/speakeasy in Oh My Darling on South Salina Street in Downtown.

Then, there’s Westcott Street east of Syracuse University on the East Side has a good variety of restaurants, the Westcott Theater for live music, Recess Coffee cafe and a neighborhood bar.

While skewing more towards students, you have Crouse-Marshall north of Syracuse University with a bunch of restaurants and some shops, that is busy during work hours, but can get busy during late night hours.

You have a few things in that East Genesee/East Fayette area on the northern edge of University Hill/just east of Downtown with a few restaurants(XO Taco is a very popular spot) and Syracuse Stage(professional live theater that is where SU’s Drama School is located).

There’s also Tipperary Hill, an outer West Side neighborhood with multiple pub style bars in the historically Irish(and later Ukrainian) neighborhood. Spots like Coleman’s, Nibsy’s, The Blarney Stone, McAvan’s, Now & Later, etc.

Even the Butternut Circle area on the North Side still has Change of Pace(a sports bar with very good wings) and Peppino’s(pizza spot).

Eastwood on James Street has a couple of cafes, a couple of bookstores, a few bars, some shops, some restaurants; with a few places on the Burnet Ave. portion of the neighborhood.

On North Salina Street, which isn’t close to its potential, but still has a mix of restaurants(Italian, Ethiopian, a Jamaican spot owned by a Nigerian, Vietnamese, etc.), with a couple of bars(inc. Exclusives, which is black owned spot).

Hawley-Green, another area north of Downtown that isn’t at its potential, has a few restaurants and bar/spots(inc. the 443 Social Club & Lounge, for live music). It is also known for its LGBTQ presence and is quite diverse racially.

There’s also some things at Destiny USA, the 8th biggest shopping center in the country(Funny Bone comedy club, bunch of restaurants, indoor bowling alley/restaurant, indoor race track, etc.).

Even the Franklin Square area in between Destiny and Downtown has a few restaurants, shops, quite a few apartments/condos and some employers.

I’m probably forgetting a few places, but this was just off the top of my head and some places are scattered(Singers in Solvay, The Lost Horizon for Rock heads on Thompson Road, etc.). So, this may be a matter of where you look and what you are looking for in the city/area.

This isn’t even including the sports(major D1 and high level minor league sports(Hockey and Baseball)), the arts: https://www.syracusearts.net/directory/default.cfm and plenty of festivals all year.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-22-2022 at 09:29 PM..

Old 09-22-2022, 09:17 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Kingston as far as small cities go is quite nice and vibrant with three urban cores of sorts that are fairly close to each other. Lots of historic architecture and quite a bit going on. I think were Metro-North or Amtrak to go up that far on the right bank of the Hudson, Kingston would likely be going through massive growth.

Buffalo is quite nice in some parts, but I wish the downtown weren't so overtaken by parking lots, the light rail extended further, and the lakeshore better integrated into the urban fabric. That being said, there are a collection of very vibrant urban neighborhoods just north or so of downtown that I really enjoyed.

I haven't been to either, but I'm pretty interested in Utica due to its melting pot and perhaps not as severe urban renewal and freeway cut-through core as well as Schenectady.

Old 09-22-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Kingston as far as small cities go is quite nice and vibrant with three urban cores of sorts that are fairly close to each other. Lots of historic architecture and quite a bit going on. I think were Metro-North or Amtrak to go up that far on the right bank of the Hudson, Kingston would likely be going through massive growth.

Buffalo is quite nice in some parts, but I wish the downtown weren't so overtaken by parking lots, the light rail extended further, and the lakeshore better integrated into the urban fabric. That being said, there are a collection of very vibrant urban neighborhoods just north or so of downtown that I really enjoyed.

I haven't been to either, but I'm pretty interested in Utica due to its melting pot and perhaps not as severe urban renewal and freeway cut-through core as well as Schenectady.
Utica has Route 8/12/I-790 through the city a portion of the city west of Downtown, with some of the arterial on the ground level. I’ve mentioned this is the NY forum, but the Utica City School District is arguably the most diverse in NY State(Schenectady is probably 2nd). So, you are talking about a couple of lesser known, but very diverse cities. Binghamton and Ithaca are similar, but a little bit different.

Schenectady has a nice Downtown and I thought that the Stockade, as well as Union Street area of the city was nice.

A small city that doesn’t get mentioned a lot, but is a sleeper is Auburn due to having a solid Downtown with a good grocery chain(Wegmans) and Public Theater, has museums if you are into history, has professional live theater(Merry Go Round Theater in Emerson Park), is in the Finger Lakes region close to wineries, Skaneateles is like 5-10 minutes away(Syracuse about 35 minutes, Ithaca about 45 minutes and Rochester about 50 minutes-an hour); a solid art gallery(Schweinfurth), a drive-in movie theater, etc.

Corning also comes to mind and also has a nice Downtown, nice museums, festivals, an orchestra and a Fortune 500 company.

Old 09-23-2022, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not true and I’m not believing you, as Pastabilities is still around(full disclosure, I’ve only had the Pasta’s Daily Bread). Armory Square has multiple restaurants, the MOST museum(more for families) and shops/stores. Even going north on Franklin Street a few blocks, you have some restaurants(inc. Dinosaur BBQ and a couple of sports bars) and a couple of clubs(Club 54 and Trexx, a gay spot that gets a mixed crowd).

Hanover Square also has multiple restaurants, a club(Orbis), a Soccer bar(Wolff’s Biergarten) and a several shops.

Can find more Downtown information here: https://downtownsyracuse.com/eat-drink
https://www.visitsyracuse.com/things...town-syracuse/
https://www.visitsyracuse.com/things...armory-square/
https://www.visitsyracuse.com/things...anover-square/

Besides the Salt City Market, which is what you were trying to refer to, you have the Landmark Theater, which has shows and a popular restaurant/speakeasy in Oh My Darling on South Salina Street in Downtown.

Then, there’s Westcott Street east of Syracuse University on the East Side has a good variety of restaurants, the Westcott Theater for live music, Recess Coffee cafe and a neighborhood bar.

While skewing more towards students, you have Crouse-Marshall north of Syracuse University with a bunch of restaurants and some shops, that is busy during work hours, but can get busy during late night hours.

You have a few things in that East Genesee/East Fayette area on the northern edge of University Hill/just east of Downtown with a few restaurants(XO Taco is a very popular spot) and Syracuse Stage(professional live theater that is where SU’s Drama School is located).

There’s also Tipperary Hill, an outer West Side neighborhood with multiple pub style bars in the historically Irish(and later Ukrainian) neighborhood. Spots like Coleman’s, Nibsy’s, The Blarney Stone, McAvan’s, Now & Later, etc.

Even the Butternut Circle area on the North Side still has Change of Pace(a sports bar with very good wings) and Peppino’s(pizza spot).

Eastwood on James Street has a couple of cafes, a couple of bookstores, a few bars, some shops, some restaurants; with a few places on the Burnet Ave. portion of the neighborhood.

On North Salina Street, which isn’t close to its potential, but still has a mix of restaurants(Italian, Ethiopian, a Jamaican spot owned by a Nigerian, Vietnamese, etc.), with a couple of bars(inc. Exclusives, which is black owned spot).

Hawley-Green, another area north of Downtown that isn’t at its potential, has a few restaurants and bar/spots(inc. the 443 Social Club & Lounge, for live music). It is also known for its LGBTQ presence and is quite diverse racially.

There’s also some things at Destiny USA, the 8th biggest shopping center in the country(Funny Bone comedy club, bunch of restaurants, indoor bowling alley/restaurant, indoor race track, etc.).

Even the Franklin Square area in between Destiny and Downtown has a few restaurants, shops, quite a few apartments/condos and some employers.

I’m probably forgetting a few places, but this was just off the top of my head and some places are scattered(Singers in Solvay, The Lost Horizon for Rock heads on Thompson Road, etc.). So, this may be a matter of where you look and what you are looking for in the city/area.

This isn’t even including the sports(major D1 and high level minor league sports(Hockey and Baseball)), the arts: https://www.syracusearts.net/directory/default.cfm and plenty of festivals all year.
You think I would make up living in Syracuse? That’s the funniest thing ever. Why would I do that? Before living there, I had been there countless times in my life. I wouldn’t have to say that I lived there to criticize it. Dm me and I’ll prove it. Heck, I could just start mentioning random things that you wouldn’t know unless you lived there. And all of those things that you mentioned are tiny areas. Maybe 1 to three blocks. I mentioned Elmwood and Hertel Ave as types of avenues that Syracuse just doesn’t have. And you countered it by a bunch of areas that are between 1 to three blocks long. What did I say that wasn’t true? I only lived there about a year and three months. I don’t know specific names to each area, but I can tell you pretty accurately about them.

For one, downtown is hollowed out. Empty storefront after empty storefront. This isn’t news. Are you saying that this isn’t true? There is absolutely no retail, anywhere. Even Binghamton has Boscov’s. And don’t even get me started on Salina going north just after downtown. That’s just as empty as the downtown. With the exception of a few salons, weave stores, churches, Dunkin Donuts and Rocky’s newsstand. That area which is their “little Italy” is anything but Italian. There was one Italian restaurant remaining. The Salt city market was just built and completed about four months before I moved away. And I’m sorry, but the prices are expensive. Go buy lunch there, you will spend at least 20 bucks. Like I said, I moved about four months after it was built. There are some bars and some restaurants in Armory Square. I never said otherwise. But it’s not some utopia in Nightlife. However, it is their best area for bars and restaurants. I lived on the Northside, not that far from the mall. The mall incidentally which is very violent. I know, because I once stopped a kid from almost seriously hurting an older guy. He was kicking him in the head over and over while he was down. Nobody else did a thing. While running towards where the incident occurred, he hesitated me by acting like he was going to pull out a gun. It froze me just long enough for him to run around the corner and out of the mall. I had to practically beg the mall security to even go after him with me. Alas, he was gone.

I used to buy weed at blue star gas station on the Southside on Salina st before stores around were selling it more “legally.” This was before one of their workers (nice guy) was shot and killed about a year ago by someone who was from out of town. After some places started selling weed, I bought it on Wolf and something with a “c”. I bought it there up until I moved. There were other places to buy it, but that was closest to where I lived. There are three strip clubs around where I lived. You know them. One, the world famous “lookers” and two a few sleezy ones a few blocks away. One on wolf and one on wolf and Salina. My favorite pizza joint in Syracuse was Peppinos on grant(?). Great pizza. The worst pizza in the city is on Wolf st called Hometown Pizzeria. If you haven’t had it, take my word for it. It might just be the worst pizzeria ever. I did my grocery shopping at Tops on grant. I was too lazy to drive to Wegmans. There are still some areas of Syracuse that I don’t know too well. The west side being one of them. Dm me and I could give you much more information about anything related to Syracuse. I used to drive out to Manlius every once in a while to buy donuts at Serres. I couldn’t get enough of their “jelly sticks.”

I really wanted to like Syracuse (was job related why I moved). I think the city is pretty with some really beautiful architecture. I love the layout within the hills. But perhaps, it was the neighborhood that I lived in, but there seemed to be a lot of angry people. Perhaps if I had lived somewhere else, and had friendlier people around me, it might have made a difference, but I just didn’t. I’m sure that you being a lifelong Syracusian, you would have much more better memories than me. If I had grown up there, perhaps I would have felt much differently about Syracuse. In fact, I’m sure that I would have. Most people have love for their hometowns regardless of what their like. But I did not grow up there, so this is my experience living there. And unfortunately, perceptions are reality.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 09-23-2022 at 05:08 AM..

Old 09-23-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
You think I would make up living in Syracuse? That’s the funniest thing ever. Why would I do that? Before living there, I had been there countless times in my life. I wouldn’t have to say that I lived there to criticize it. Dm me and I’ll prove it. Heck, I could just start mentioning random things that you wouldn’t know unless you lived there. And all of those things that you mentioned are tiny areas. Maybe 1 to three blocks. I mentioned Elmwood and Hertel Ave as types of avenues that Syracuse just doesn’t have. And you countered it by a bunch of areas that are between 1 to three blocks long. What did I say that wasn’t true? I only lived there about a year and three months. I don’t know specific names to each area, but I can tell you pretty accurately about them.

For one, downtown is hollowed out. Empty storefront after empty storefront. This isn’t news. Are you saying that this isn’t true? There is absolutely no retail, anywhere. Even Binghamton has Boscov’s. And don’t even get me started on Salina going north just after downtown. That’s just as empty as the downtown. With the exception of a few salons, weave stores, churches, Dunkin Donuts and Rocky’s newsstand. That area which is their “little Italy” is anything but Italian. There was one Italian restaurant remaining. The Salt city market was just built and completed about four months before I moved away. And I’m sorry, but the prices are expensive. Go buy lunch there, you will spend at least 20 bucks. Like I said, I moved about four months after it was built. There are some bars and some restaurants in Armory Square. I never said otherwise. But it’s not some utopia in Nightlife. However, it is their best area for bars and restaurants. I lived on the Northside, not that far from the mall. The mall incidentally which is very violent. I know, because I once stopped a kid from almost seriously hurting an older guy. He was kicking him in the head over and over while he was down. Nobody else did a thing. While running towards where the incident occurred, he hesitated me by acting like he was going to pull out a gun. It froze me just long enough for him to run around the corner and out of the mall. I had to practically beg the mall security to even go after him with me. Alas, he was gone.

I used to buy weed at blue star gas station on the Southside on Salina st before stores around were selling it more “legally.” This was before one of their workers (nice guy) was shot and killed about a year ago by someone who was from out of town. After some places started selling weed, I bought it on Wolf and something with a “c”. I bought it there up until I moved. There were other places to buy it, but that was closest to where I lived. There are three strip clubs around where I lived. You know them. One, the world famous “lookers” and two a few sleezy ones a few blocks away. One on wolf and one on wolf and Salina. My favorite pizza joint in Syracuse was Peppinos on grant(?). Great pizza. The worst pizza in the city is on Wolf st called Hometown Pizzeria. If you haven’t had it, take my word for it. It might just be the worst pizzeria ever. I did my grocery shopping at Tops on grant. I was too lazy to drive to Wegmans. There are still some areas of Syracuse that I don’t know too well. The west side being one of them. Dm me and I could give you much more information about anything related to Syracuse. I used to drive out to Manlius every once in a while to buy donuts at Serres. I couldn’t get enough of their “jelly sticks.”

I really wanted to like Syracuse (was job related why I moved). I think the city is pretty with some really beautiful architecture. I love the layout within the hills. But perhaps, it was the neighborhood that I lived in, but there seemed to be a lot of angry people. Perhaps if I had lived somewhere else, and had friendlier people around me, it might have made a difference, but I just didn’t. I’m sure that you being a lifelong Syracusian, you would have much more better memories than me. If I had grown up there, perhaps I would have felt much differently about Syracuse. In fact, I’m sure that I would have. Most people have love for their hometowns regardless of what their like. But I did not grow up there, so this is my experience living there. And unfortunately, perceptions are reality.
The fact you thought that Pastabilities was closed is/was suspect or it has been a while. I say no on the Salt City Market, as you can get food for less than $20

I wouldn’t say Downtown is “hollowed out”, but there is room for more businesses to come in. There are about 5,000 people that live there and there is more demand for more housing. There is more than that Downtown and the source I post shows that and include some small businesses and other stores.Never said that it was some utopia nightlife either. Even another poster mentioned that compared to the Downtowns of the other cities, it has more in the way of nightlife and things going on. With the other cities, much of their nightlife is in a select section/district or 2/3 outside of Downtown. That was the point being made.

Many of the areas mentioned are near each other or actually make up a good portion of the city.

See, why would you go to Hometown Pizza? Really? Go to Pavone’s, Mario & Salvo’s in DeWitt, the Pies Guys, the OIP in Nottingham Plaza, Peppino’s, etc. Those are better options.

Serres in East Syracuse is a good, old school bakery.

Tipperary Hill is on the West Side and has a pub/bar scene due to the historic ethnic character of the neighborhood. Yeah, Little Italy is really a little bit of everything, but you have Francesca’s, Biscotti’s Bakery, Nino’s Bakery, DiLauro’s Bakery and Lombardi’s(last 3 are in the Lodi/Butternut area of the North Side, Rocky’s is there as well). A lot of Italian businesses are in North Syracuse as well.

Destiny is a big mall and it is bound to have some issues, but the vast majority of people have no issues at all.

Anyway, it is that I just know it well, even after leaving for a portion of time away in college and the military.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-23-2022 at 06:17 AM..

Old 09-23-2022, 07:11 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:

This was my perception of Syracuse after living there a while back.

BUffalo is leaps and bounds better with a far more complete downtown core, better vibrancy and frankly, more to do/see.

While Syracuse has absolutely breathtaking spots nearby (Finger Lakes, Skaneateles, Oswego/Lake Ontario, Chimney Bluffs, The beaches up by Pulaski, etc)... there is more to do/see near Buffalo. However, once you go south of Buffalo its extremely economically depressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City