Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 10:55 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,711,443 times

Advertisements

Was recently back in Boston. As a West Coast resident, couldn't believe how clean it was. Walked all over downtown and the Back Bay, didn't see a single tent. No poop on the street, even the subway was clean. Was shocking compared to what I've seen in SF, Seattle, Austin, DC, and other cities. I got on the T and no one was sleeping, eating on the train, and there was no pee runnnig down the aisles or anything. Is it the weather? Respect for public space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 12:37 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
The weather probably has alot to do with it. I''ll vote for that.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:27 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Was recently back in Boston. As a West Coast resident, couldn't believe how clean it was. Walked all over downtown and the Back Bay, didn't see a single tent. No poop on the street, even the subway was clean. Was shocking compared to what I've seen in SF, Seattle, Austin, DC, and other cities. I got on the T and no one was sleeping, eating on the train, and there was no pee runnnig down the aisles or anything. Is it the weather? Respect for public space?
I'd take DC off that list, in no way or form should it be mentioned in the same sentence as San Francisco in cleanliness. SF and LA both are glaringly dirty cities arriving from the nation's capital. Boston is a very clean city much like Chicago and Washington DC, and has a prestigious upscale feel to it. Major "boutique" cities as such like Boston should be kept up nice.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:33 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The weather probably has alot to do with it. I''ll vote for that.
The city budget (budget $ per capita/per square mile) can't hurt. I bet Boston is spending more money on cleaning and beautification per square mile than most of their East Coast peers.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:02 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
It'd be interesting to do a study of New Englanders in general when it comes to things like litter and "tidiness." The region is uniquely well-cared for.

I do get a sense of very rigid attitudes about respect for public spaces in this area; people will pitch a fit about even the slightest bit of litter or being unkempt.

I think the Puritan influenced-culture definitely plays a role in terms of obsession with having a "proper" appearance.

Last edited by Duderino; 09-25-2022 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-25-2022, 10:22 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
What does Boston do differently?

But Chicago is also very clean. Let me throw that out there too.

Also go to Mass and Cass. Theres a lot of tents down there

Old 09-25-2022, 11:09 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
I never thought of Boston as being a uniquely clean city/region relative to some other cities/regions I've been to like San Diego, Tampa and San Jose.

Thinking back to the '88 Presidential campaign and the "Harbor of Shame" comment. This was describing the polluted state of Boston Harbor. VP Bush used this hot topic for his own political gain as he took a ferry across it and pointed the finger at then Mass. Presidential candidate Dukakis for this environmental disaster effectively ending his run.

I do love all of the quaint, tidy New England towns and villages but not sure I would say cleanliness is more exclusive to Boston or the overall region.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:26 AM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
DC is very clean.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:39 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I never thought of Boston as being a uniquely clean city/region relative to some other cities/regions I've been to like San Diego, Tampa and San Jose.

Thinking back to the '88 Presidential campaign and the "Harbor of Shame" comment. This was describing the polluted state of Boston Harbor. VP Bush used this hot topic for his own political gain as he took a ferry across it and pointed the finger at then Mass. Presidential candidate Dukakis for this environmental disaster effectively ending his run.

I do love all of the quaint, tidy New England towns and villages but not sure I would say cleanliness is more exclusive to Boston or the overall region.
I think OP is referring to other large scale Pre War cities like SF, NYC, LA, Philly, Baltimore, Chicago and Seattle.

I get this comment a lot and people generally mean big cities. Because obviously places like Rockport, Gloucester, Newport, Montauk, Ocean City NJ and Cape May are clean… but they arent big international cities where perception of these cities are usually big/dirty/chaotic.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:46 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
The city budget (budget $ per capita/per square mile) can't hurt. I bet Boston is spending more money on cleaning and beautification per square mile than most of their East Coast peers.
I don’t think Boston’s budget is actually that big compared to similarly sized cities. It’s tricky since universities and hospitals can’t be taxed and together, those things take up a lot of land and jobs in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Also go to Mass and Cass. Theres a lot of tents down there
Mass and Cass themselves don’t have many people in them right now. Not sure about the nearby streets to the south. There’s still a decent amount of litter but fewer junkies I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City