Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 05:43 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

Boston is noticeably cleaner than any of its east coast peers. Likely due to a combination of its smaller size and relative affluence. As others have mentioned, the low crime also correlates with the cleanliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 06:06 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Baltimore has a 4.11 billion dollar budget.

San Francisco’s is 14 billion.

New York City is 100 billion.

Phillys budget is just low. And the culture is more tolerant of blight and trash.
Reminds me when I went to Philly and me and the misses were walking and accidently dropped some trash on the ground. As I was picking it up to put in a trash can, 2 ladies see me and start laughing. They turned to me and said, "Baby look around, ain't no point putting that in the trash" and smoothed walked off. LOL

Old 09-26-2022, 06:38 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Phillys budget is just low. And the culture is more tolerant of blight and trash.
Yes, Philly's lower per capita municipal services budget makes a difference, although I'd argue that the attitude is more "jaded" than "tolerant." A distinct difference.

Philly does make up for it somewhat by having more BIDs and community groups than most cities, however, so litter conditions vary significantly by neighborhood.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:17 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes, Philly's lower per capita municipal services budget makes a difference, although I'd argue that the attitude is more "jaded" than "tolerant." A distinct difference.

Philly does make up for it somewhat by having more BIDs and community groups than most cities, however, so litter conditions vary significantly by neighborhood.
Genuine Question is there a separate Philly City/Philly county budget that can explain the discrepancy?

Old 09-26-2022, 07:18 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Boston is noticeably cleaner than any of its east coast peers. Likely due to a combination of its smaller size and relative affluence. As others have mentioned, the low crime also correlates with the cleanliness.
Couldn’t you say all that about San Francisco? Which is not clean.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:43 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Couldn’t you say all that about San Francisco? Which is not clean.
you could say it about DC which is also significantly more affluent than Boston.

It's not about affluence and certainly not about crime. Many cleaner places have higher crime. Its 90% culture.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:38 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Yeah Boston in 2005 was pretty dirty. I'm a Dorchester based family and it was baaaaddd.

IIRC, I could be exaggerating... but my experiences of Dorchester and even parts of Southie, were very run down Triple Deckers, 'White trash', lots of gangs, and economically disadvantaged neighborhoods abutting them.

Chinatown was rough and scummy, parts of Somerville were wicked townie, Roxbury was still dangerous and filthy, Quincy was rougher than rough, Randolph was declining + increase in crimes, Brockton was becoming the worst, etc

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 09-26-2022 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-26-2022, 08:46 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Was recently back in Boston. As a West Coast resident, couldn't believe how clean it was. Walked all over downtown and the Back Bay, didn't see a single tent. No poop on the street, even the subway was clean. Was shocking compared to what I've seen in SF, Seattle, Austin, DC, and other cities. I got on the T and no one was sleeping, eating on the train, and there was no pee runnnig down the aisles or anything. Is it the weather? Respect for public space?
It's an extremely clean city, certainly compared to most legacy or East Coast cities.

I think Menino, circa the early 2000s, is largely to thank. He put together a "street grime" force dedicated to cleaning, and inspecting the city, while also purchasing and sending out 2x the street sweepers than the city has previously had. He also put together programs like Boston Shines, that got thousands of folks in Boston neighborhoods involved in clean-up efforts.

Even before then, though, downtown Boston was always pretty darn clean.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:48 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Genuine Question is there a separate Philly City/Philly county budget that can explain the discrepancy?
Nope, the city/county are one and the same from a governmental standpoint, although of course that doesn't account for state or federal aid.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:55 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
DC is very clean.
Ehh... Depends on what part of DC. Tent cities are becoming more prominent between Dupont Circle and Florida Ave NW. Downtown DC I would agree is pretty clean, so is the area around Nats Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City