Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more culturally aligned with Chicago?
Central Illinois 9 14.52%
Southern Wisconsin 48 77.42%
Southwest Michigan 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 10:49 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Kenosha and lived there until I was 39 so I say Wisconsin. However, people are nicer in Wisconsin. Milwaukee especially has a smaller town attitude which is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 10:51 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
NW Indiana by far

Old 12-11-2022, 11:09 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
There seems to be many Chicago transplants living in St Louis. Many of the neighborhoods have similar architecture. Both where part of the great migration. Some refer to St. Louis as Chicago south.

Nothing else in Missouri resembles Chicago.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:56 PM

613 posts, read 326,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
For NW Indiana not to be included in the poll, do you consider it part of the Chicagoland area and thus too close? IF it was included in the poll , it would be my choice.
Yep NW Indiana would have been too close, Gary really looks like miniature Chicago but with Indiana license plates

Old 12-11-2022, 09:19 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
I voted "Southern Wisconsin", because it was the best available option, but my real vote goes to Northwest Indiana. It's part of the Chicago metropolitan area, and far more NWIN people commute to Chicago for work than SWI people. In fact, Hammond and other nearby towns use Chicago's Madison street as the starting point for their building numbering systems, with the leading 1 removed. (In other words, what would be 11000 in Chicago becomes 1000 in Hammond.) If that's not cultural alignment with Chicago, then I'm Kamala Harris.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammond,_Indiana

Central Illinois is the worst of both worlds: groupthink liberalism of Chicago and judgmental conservatism of small towns; my happiest moment of going there was getting on I-57 northbound. And Southwestern Michigan is too far away geographically from Chicago to share in its cultural values. I remember my road trips to that region well enough not to say the word "Bears" when I go there. But I love the region's evergreen trees and conservative politics.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 12-11-2022 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-12-2022, 01:08 PM

309 posts, read 307,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
There seems to be many Chicago transplants living in St Louis. Many of the neighborhoods have similar architecture. Both where part of the great migration. Some refer to St. Louis as Chicago south.

Nothing else in Missouri resembles Chicago.
Lee's Summit & Parkville can easily be Metra suburbs.

Parts of KCMO resemble Chicago's South and West sides more than residents of either city will admit.

With that said, my answer to the question is Central Illinois. As much as either side would like, you can't the Illinois out of Chicago, and you can't take the Chicago out of Illinois.

To most Chicago is Illinois and vice versa. Chicago's UBER centralized nature, with most NATIVES seeing Chicago as the center of the universe (Chicagoland) support this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City