Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 12:04 PM

140 posts, read 66,622 times

Advertisements

I am looking at these three cities currently, but I am open to other options that I might be missing for my criteria. For a very long time I have been a lurker of this forum, but I want to get more serious about a potential move in 2023. So this is what I am looking at so far:

Pittsburgh:

I currently reside in Youngstown. A large part of my family is from Central and Western Pennsylvania. I know Pittsburgh very well and do day trips to the city often. A drive to the northside neighborhoods or downtown takes me less than an hour on the Turnpike. For a long time, because Pittsburgh was in my backyard, I took for granted how underrated the city was and what it had to offer on the national stage. Over the last year or so I have been strongly looking at neighborhoods that I could see myself living in. I am considering the northside in Pittsburgh (Allegheny West, Mexican War Streets, etc) because of its proximity to downtown, the walkability and access to transit. I also have considered the Southside and certain East End neighborhoods. I don't want to feel like I am settling on Pittsburgh just because it is what I am familiar with. There are others out there that I am interested in.

Philadelphia:

In that past few years I have grown to love Philadelphia. It incorporates everything that I want out of a city - dense, beautiful architecture, expansive transit, diverse, lively neighborhoods. I have made weekend trips out to the city several times over the years as it is an easy drive east on the Turnpike. I really enjoy certain neighborhoods like Manayunk (has a Pittsburgh vibe), Mount Airy/Western Germantown, Fitler Square and Graduate Hospital and some of the other neighborhoods just south of Center City. I am only mentioning neighborhoods that I think are within my budget, which I will get to later. To me Philadelphia checks a lot of my boxes. I just am concerned with where the COL is going in the next 5 or so years. I am very well aware of some of the crime that the city does face, but I am also aware of the amazing transformation that is taking place in neighborhoods further from Center City. Very exciting to see.

St. Louis

For some reason this city really interests me. It has a shocking amount of historic stock that seems to stretch from downtown, south of downtown and west to Forest Park. St. Louis seems underrated and yet to be discovered like Pittsburgh has. One of my concerns is the crime and it being in the state of Missouri with a more conservative leadership. I have yet to visit the city.

With all of that, some of my criteria and what I am looking for is as follows:

-Budget roughly is max $1300-$1400/mo. I am not looking for new construction and can settle for older (sometimes that is even better). The apartment does not need to have stainless steel appliances or outdoor space. I would prefer a 1 bedroom. Studio days I am over at this point.

-Gay-friendly with a diverse gay crowd. I am in my early 30s and going out every weekend into the early morning is not my thing, but I would like to have a diversity of gay groups around.

-I work in the public sector currently and would continue to look for future career prospects in this sector. My experience is working specifically in neighborhood development and grant writing. I have done a lot of land banking work in Northeast Ohio. Neighborhood development is a passion of mine.

-Access to well maintained park systems and ultimately weekend trips outside of the city to great nature and hiking options. Pittsburgh has this. I visit regional state parks all of the time and hike down by Ohiopyle and Allegheny National Forest. Philadelphia has Wissahickon (among others) and the Poconos. I am not sure what St. Louis has with regard to outdoor activities beyond what looks like a great city park system?

-Transit access. I plan on keeping my car, but I would like to have transit options to get to work and not have to fight traffic or deal with parking. Pitttsburgh's Allegheny West neighborhood I can take the T into downtown for free and get to where I need to faster than driving in and parking. I know having a car in a neighborhood in the immediate Center City area of Philadelphia may seem too much, but it is nice being able to do weekend trips away and use my car when I need it. St. Louis looks like it has rail, but I am not sure how consistent it is?

-Weather plays a part, but I am not too picky. I am used to cloudy skies and snow in the winter. I get it, Pittsburgh. Philadelphia is a bit sunnier and less snow, and that's a plus. St. Louis I have no idea. My only concern would be way too much humidity in the summer which I have a feeling doesn't bode well for Missouri. I lived in Florida during university so I am a bit over the oppressive humidity.

What other city/metro areas am I excluding? I really do appreciate any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 12:05 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Philadelphia easily.

But Pittsburgh second.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:52 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Philly

Old 12-19-2022, 03:10 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
I would choose Philadelphia and its not close.

I would also recommend a few days in St Louis to look around get a good understanding and feel for the area.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times
Pittsburgh and STL have cut their transit by alot since 2020. At least with Philly it has regional rail on top of the other forms.

If you really need your car you can move to Chestnut Hill or NW Philly to avoid the denser locations around Center City.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:06 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times
Philly then Pittsburgh.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:19 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

St. Louis

Old 12-20-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would choose Philadelphia and its not close.

I would also recommend a few days in St Louis to look around get a good understanding and feel for the area.
What is your opinion of St. Louis? Is it worth the consideration or do you think it wouldn't really meet my criteria? I have looked at areas in the CWE, Debaliviere, and downtown. Lafayette Square and Soulard look interesting. I definitely plan to take a trip out there and visit for a few days.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

St. Louis
For me it is:

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia

St. Louis

Again, only because I know Pittsburgh the best. I know that Philadelphia hits most of my wants, but I do question the affordability. Though Philadelphia is a great deal for its location.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:28 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
Again, only because I know Pittsburgh the best. I know that Philadelphia hits most of my wants, but I do question the affordability. Though Philadelphia is a great deal for its location.

I think being able to drive back home on demand is a plus too. It's a long drive across Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City